Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you stand for Ode to Joy (the EU anthem) if it was played?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

If it was ever to supersede Amhran na bhFiann I wouldn't stand.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ♠Jay♠

I think that song is unreal. :D I wouldn't stand to it though. I'd enjoy it a lot, that said!

Don't stand to the Irish national anthem either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

♠Jay♠ wrote: »
    I think that song is unreal. :D I wouldn't stand to it though. I'd enjoy it a lot, that said!
    I like Beethoven's stuff and this tune is taken from symphony No. 9
    ♠Jay♠ wrote: »
    Don't stand to the Irish national anthem either..
    Have you ever tried remaining seated in some of the country pubs. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ♠Jay♠

I like Beethoven's stuff and this tune is taken from symphony No. 9
    Have you ever tried remaining seated in some of the country pubs. :eek:

I tend not to go to country pubs, and when I hear the song play it's my 'cigarette' time and I quickly dip outside. Don't want to cause offence to them, but I'd still find a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

depends on the situation.

I cant think of many cases where the EU anthem would play that would require me to stand in my day to day life.

It wouldnt play in any international or national sport seeing as there is no European Union team.

Do people stand for Ireland's Call at a rugby match by the way?

sadly I have not got to go to rugby match live yet :( so I dont know if people stand for Ireland's call. My initial response is that silence would be the appropiate response.

On Ode To Joy, I can play that on the piano :D, should see if I can on my harmonica aswell...

hmm

I cant think of a situation where Ode to Joy would play that I am expected to stand for it.

On if I want to, wellllll, I would if I felt it was the appropiate response for the event it is played at, but I would expect that it would be followed by (or preceeded) the national anthem of the state the event is held in.

Best situation I can think of is a anniversary celebration, in which case I would stand if it is held in Ireland for our own anthem and will remain standing for the EU anthem.

If I am abroad I would stand for the EU anthem but not for the other state's anthem, I guess, I kinda like the French anthem strangely.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ode to Joy isn't an official anthem. There are no plans to make it an official anthem. Even if it were an official anthem, there has never been any suggestion that it would "supersede" national anthems.

Silly threads make baby jebus cry.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement