Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about module failure

Options
  • 08-05-2009 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Right, so I'm pretty screwed for an upcoming exam and nothing short of a miracle will save me from failing. In the case that I do get an F and can't pass by compensation (I've done fairly well in all my other modules so far), what happens? It's a core module, so is it possible to still pass the year without it? If I need to repeat it, do I have to pay and do it as a repeat separate to my main course or can I just take it on as one of my electives next year?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before, I just need to know where I stand on things and any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

as far as i know you will need to repeat it at a cost of about €220 as either an extra module next semester or exam at next exam session

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

For most of the science modules you usually only have to repeat the exam (which is worth 100% of the module mark) and not have to attend any lectures, tutorials, hand in assignments etc. I think it's slightly different for some of the arts modules. A friend of mine had to repeat a history module and an english one and all that he had to do was hand in a few essays and that, and not have to repeat an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

If its a core module then you can't technically pass the year until you pass it. You can go into the next year and resit the exam, although you may have to talk to the programme office. Two things to remember are that you might not be able to do a module in the next year if it relies on material covered in the module you failed and that you are capped at a 2.0 GPA when you do pass it, regardless of what mark you get in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

You can progress to the next Stage with only 50 credits passed for the year, but will have to resit or repeat the module next year in addition to your other modules. Ask your lecturer/Module Coordinator what the resit assessment will be as this varies from module to module and is up to the lecturer/Module Coordinator to decide. In my experience it's usually a 100% exam, but I know some people who had to do essays in a different module (same school). As someone else posted, your grade is capped at 2.0 for the resit/repeat.

BTW, if you have more than two fails for the year, you can still take modules from the next year and once you pass the resit assessment you will progress to the next stage after the Christmas exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rgt320q

Thanks a mil for the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement