Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not on electoral register despite voting?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

I don't know how it works here - do I need to re-apply for the electoral register every year?

My self and my husband got all the forms, Gardai signatures, etc, etc to ensure we were eligible to vote in the general election in 2007 and yet when I checked we are not on the electoral register for our local council despite not moving house in the interim. Should I give them a ring and see if there's been some kind of mistake or do we have to re-apply every time there is an election?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You should have received a form in the post last September/October which you use to include yourself in the electoral register for 2009/2010. If you didn't fill this out and send it off, you won't be included.

To be included in the register and eligible to vote in the local elections, you'll need to fill out form RFA2, and do it as soon as you can. I think the local authority needs the application in 14 working days before the election date or something like that.

The register lasts for two years, so you'll need to put your name down again at the end of 2010. You should get the form in the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Thanks for the fast reply Seamus!

I printed off a couple of the RFA2 forms thinking that may be the case but was hoping to avoid the whole signatures by Gardai thing again seen as I'd already done it only a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure we sent off the application to be on 09/10 electoral register too...hmmm. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Before you send it off, just have a look at www.checktheregister.ie again.

I thought I had been missed too as I wasn't appearing, but when searching, instead of putting in my full name and full address I just put in the first 3 letters of each, and I popped up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I tried that already, that's where I realised we hadn't been included. Up until a wee while ago they didn't have our address as an option on the drop down list because our address didn't exist two yrs ago - I wonder if that's got anything to do with it?

That or the fact neither of us have or will ever vote FF :pac:

Advertisement