Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tax Levy

Options
  • 08-05-2009 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Sorry all if this is already out there, but I can't see it, I am paid a gross of 350 a week for 35 hrs, and thought I was exempt from this new tax levy, my employer has now deducted me 7 euro a week, so my pittance of a wage is now even less..I didn't think I earnt enough, do any of ye know if this is right??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

In the recent mini-budget the threshold for Income Levy exemption was reduced from €18,304 (€352 pw) to €15,028 (€289 pw). This new threshold applies from May 1st onwards so you now have to pay a levy of 2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Think of what €8.65 ph is like............
    I find nowadays that most moderately skilled jobs are now gravitating towards min wage as businesses struggle to meet rising costs against falling demand for services.
    It is scandalous that someone on less than double the dole is taxed at all.
    The €15,000 figure comes in at below minimum wage if a full time week is worked which is a scandalously low margin for the levy.
    It means that a person on 350 pw is gaining €3.97 an hour for working 35 hours assuming no transport or working costs and entitlement to single persons dole of €204 pw.
    Sort of makes sense when you see how slowly some people work in the catering/service sector....................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'm part-time, on €9.48. My hours go from 18-27, my pay goes from €190 to €350, it's unfair that I can be caught when I reach €289, I only earn €10k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I'm part-time, on €9.48. My hours go from 18-27, my pay goes from €190 to €350, it's unfair that I can be caught when I reach €289, I only earn €10k a year.
    If you earn less than the €15,000 in the year you can claim any levy paid back. If you worked for your employer for all 52 weeks, your employer can give it back to you in week 52, otherwise you'll have to deal direct with the revenue. It is a stupid system, set up intentionally to get money from people who shouldn't be paying it and making it as difficult as possible to get back, in my opinion (most people in your situation probably don't know they can get it back, and the revenue don't exactly advertise that fact!), but you can get it back at the end of the year, so make sure you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Income Levy is deducted on your pay per week/forthnight/month when it goes over the weekly/forthnightly/monthly exemption level. However, if your gross annual income does not exceed €15,028, the deducted monies will be refunded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Excellent news, thanks. Yes we were under the impression that it was like PRSI and couldn't be claimed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If you are eligible for the medical card, you can also be exempted from paying the health levy and your PRSI will go down too.

If you're not sure if you're eligible or not, no harm in applying - we thought we'd only get the GP visit card and we ended up with the medical card so we're delighted :)

Advertisement