Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

• 08-05-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

Driving through Ballybofey/Stranorlar yesterday seen the parties have their posters up of their candidates for the upcoming local elections, Fine Gael have very little up, Sinn Fein have a good few up but none have as many up of Fianna Fails new candidate, a red head called "Circus Vegas" :p:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

But sure the whole thing is a circus :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

muffler wrote: »
    But sure the whole thing is a circus :D
    Yeah full of clowns, strange animals, escape artists, the amazing fat lady, a ring master who doesn't really do anything except try to control the clowns and people who will risk everything but have very big safety net under them should they fail! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

listen your big men now talking over a forum but if a candidate came to your door looking for a vote you wouldn't say half the stuff you said here. the counsellors are smart boys far smarter than you ***** so leave politics alone if you know **** all about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

shiibata wrote: »
    but none have as many up of Fianna Fails new candidate, a red head called "Circus Vegas" :p:D

I'll have you know they're a respectable organisation who have been meeting the needs of Donegal people for years and for you to come on here and associate the hard working members of Circus Vegas with Fianna Fail, its a disgrace. :P:P:P:D

On a serious note, many people expect these elections will be used by the general public to show their contempt for FF and to a lesser extent the GP for the situation we are in, but in local elections the candidates are there on their own standings and i dont think it will be a total fiasco for FF. They will lose a huge amount of votes, but it wont be a clear wipe out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

andyc09lad wrote: »
    listen your big men now talking over a forum but if a candidate came to your door looking for a vote you wouldn't say half the stuff you said here. the counsellors are smart boys far smarter than you ***** so leave politics alone if you know **** all about it.
    Only your second post and you are coming across as a little aggressive or possibly drunk (given the time of the post) or perhaps a little of both.

Take a minute and read the forum charter and also the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 andyc09lad

muffler wrote: »
    Only your second post and you are coming across as a little aggressive or possibly drunk (given the time of the post) or perhaps a little of both.

Take a minute and read the forum charter and also the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

i wasnt drunk, just very pissed of with how everyone is blaming ff for the resession, yet its called a GLOBAL RESESSION so brian and his government cant be blamed. nor can bertie. this downturn was expected yet the public blames t.ds senaters and county councillors for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Fianna Fail are certainly not responsible for the global recession my friend, but certainly mismanaged the economy and played up the economy in the last election. Many people voted them in last election as they played the fear card as to what would happen if anyone else got in, so they are certainly fair game. Most other parties would not have been much better but Fianna Fail did use the economy as a plank to get re-elected, took steps to create a bubble and it blew up in their face, the current Fianna fail leadership is rediculious and I may be proved wrong but we have not had a decent Minister for Finance since Charlie McCreevy. Though he had his faults

You will also find, if you were following events that much, that ALL economic indicators and bodies predict Ireland to have a much worse recession because of they way our economy was 'built/run' solely by Fianna Fail.

I can point out loads of things about Fine Gael too but you sir appear to be the one who knows little about politics and fail also to understand that the public mood has changed and even Finna Fail voters are not prepared to have the country run by bafoons anymore. I'd go and drown my sorrows before this govt either forbid it or make it unaffordable!

You might find that most of us here are well read and informed of current affairs and aren't raving as you seem to suggest. Not only are you out of tune with the public mood, but with economic and political reality I doubt. Even Brian Cowen realises he will be on the back benches next time theirs an election. FF need to start looking at rebuilding straight away.

Local politicians worth their salt sould not suffer but their expences and those of all politicans should, and their policies and previous works should be scrutinised in detail. For the record, many FF councillors etc are not going for re-election, many who should stand and get elected imo. Its a shame central FF did so much damage and certainly have run a muck in Donegal affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

Fianna Fáil are the party that is in power in this county and throughout the country. They have been for about a decade now. They do bear responsibilty for the way things were managed. Local elections are coming soon and I believe a by-election may take place in Donegal as well. Mary Coughlan looks like she is off to Brussels and Pat "The Cope" may be in the Euros as a FF MEP candidate. This I think will force a by-election in Donegal for these positions. The state of the roads and the infastructure in Donegal lags far behind the rest of the country and broadband is another issue as well. Someone needs to bring Donegal into the 21st century and I do not think Fianna Fáil are up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭cronndiesel

the ruling party has to take some flak but nobody put a gun to anyones head to go into debt to go to anfield or have that second holiday or that big flat screen so soon after the last one the government yes but so too the moody electorate the government is taking steps to rebuild the economy and people are waiting but are they just going to rebuild it again for another come day go day boom? we re now back to 1983 figures in 25 yrs times will we be back to 2009 figures?? an alternitive government is nt going to do any different either i think there should come leadership from the people with a sea change to our attitudes about how we spend our money and how we let government (who ever is in )spend it. agentina had a far far worse bust look it up -now like here the economy was tweaked and in just two years there was growth rebound but with 50% of the people effectivly left outside after a readustment of national wages. But the people are taking the lead and are not saving as much with the banks (who tryed to freeze their savings) and are looking for alternitives to debt driven spending (well indeed easy done as they have f all to spend) but some are earning casualy from the gray and black markets and we wouldnt want much more of that here -how ever no parent is going to let their child go hungry and no one with a mortgage wants to be homeless so maybe whats in limerick wont be a one off

Advertisement