Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a good Floor Varnish

Options
  • 08-05-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi

In the process of sanding a semi solid floor due to some scratches. Job to be done over the weekend. Wondering if anyone can recommend a good Varnish for the job?

All comments welcomed.

Bull76.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I used Sadolin PV67 on floors a few years ago and they're still like new. It's very hard wearing and good for high traffic areas. Rustins produce a very similiar product.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Thanks for that, Was looking at a Sadolin product also. Just wanted to know what other people's view was on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I used Bondex Yaucht Varnish on my floor. Very hard wearing Very good quality, but its a little expensive. You might find cheaper in the products mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have always used rustin's or PV67. These are two-part lacquers, with a formaldehyde base. They dry fast, but there is a smell for a few hours. If you are any way sensitive to chemicals or have kids about, or can't ventilate the space very well, you might not like these. (They are pretty expensive too.)

Mix a fairly small amount, apply with a roller and a brush for the corners.

Few enough places sell those formaldehyde-based now. You can also get acrylic (water-based) systems. They will take longer to dry. I have not used these, but they are sold by reputable manufacturers and they would not sell them if they were that bad. Because they are water based, they won't give off a load of fumes.

You could use a yacht varnish. These are designed for outdoor use, but are not generally designed for use underfoot. Yacht varnish is generally not used underfoot on yachts. I would say that you would have to be sure the area is well ventilated. I don't know if you will get as good a finish, and I don't know if it will really take walking. There is a discussion here:
    http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061101190253AAe2nUM

However, I have not used yacht varnish, so I don't really know.

Another alternative is to use an oil on the wood (for example, http://www.briwax.co.uk/products/danishoil.html) . This will give a nice finish, although it will require more maintenance than the PV67 or the acrylic. Paradoxically, if the area is really high wear, this may be the best choice, because it can be easily refinished. (The PV67/rustins can't be easily refinished - the varnish breaks in places and you'll need to sand first, which tends to be difficult if the area is in regular use).

However, I don't have much experience with oil, so you should find someone who does!

Advertisement