Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dublin candidates on vincent browne

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=nightlynewswithvincentbrowne&tv3_preview=&video=8680

From last night. Very clear that Libertas had no friends in that room.

Just out of curiosity will both the green candidate and the ex green candidate both sit for the european green movement if they get elected?

I know the Green candidate stated she would, but what about Patricia?

De Rossa was very impressive I thought, especially when Simmons was badgering him on Parliment spending, and it took Patricia to come in briefly on the side of Caroline to stop him from destroying her.
    When she argued that MEP's should exert more influence in locating misplaced funds on the national level and that simply signing off on the budget simply encoruges states to do be careless with funds. I agree with her second point, but her initial point would be difficult considering MEPs are not always part of the national government, and can be in many cases members of the opposition so would have little to no influence on a national level and trying to get parliment as a whole to interfere in national affairs, even with EU funds would rile up member states the wrong way and end up bringing more accusations of the EU dictating law.

I think the best bit though is Caroline Simmons inability to name one of the 70% of our laws dictated to us by the EU and ended up going with labels. Great way to start the debate. :D

On that topic, can anyone confirm this for me but on the issue of food regulations etc is Ireland actually enforcing stricter laws then the EU requires and that we have tighter restrictions by our own laws rather then those dictated by the EU?

Final opinion:

De Rossa came out best, he showed experiance, he answered all questions thrown at him and the only part he seemed to really stumble was when someone texted in asking if he was over 70 years old. Best of all with the exception of Caroline Simmons De Rossa seemed to get along with the other candidates, they would disagree on some points but agree on others and willing to debate points.

The Green candidate and the ex green candidates came off slightly worse because they looked like they were squabbling between each other the whole time, the *left* slip might cost the Green candidate but more so the constent dogging of the Green's stuck with Fianna Fail will haunt her every debate. Patricia Mckenna might overdo that dogging though but the position of being Green without Fianna Fail will work in her favour.

Caroline Simmons....

emmm

wow

I think the only point in her favour was she got Mckenna on her side for one of her points briefly, aside from that she could not back up anything she said and essentially got grilled the whole way through.

While part of me felt the host was going after her, she asked for most of it by her statements and her attitude.

I'm actually afraid to ask her a question at the Q+A now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

I can't believe Simmons mentioned 800 years of oppression. If you're a politician on the European stage you can't go around saying things like that.

Vote Libertas to reduce the amount of labelling on chicken - Vincent's jaw nearly hit the floor.

I now it's hard cause she looks like a rabbit in the headlights but I think you should stick the boot in during the Q and A.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I wonder if I can rip that off and put it on youtube.

Chicken labels!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Our own Darragh twittered this this morning. Didn't realise it was a Libertas stunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

They are organised though. Here it is in Mallorca and again in Bratislava.

I saw that ad on a bus stop yesterday and thought it was a bit weird. I didn't know it was a Libertas campaign though. They didn't make it clear in the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think its an ad that might backfire on them, with alot of people being GM aware they would come out in favour of knowing where the food they are eating is from and in favour of labels.

And I have to check but I do believe Irish regulations on food labels is actually more strict then EU regulations so its again another issue they are aiming at the wrong people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched a bit of that last night and the first thought that came into my head was "Harney's lost a bit of weight."

I agree that Vincent really seemed to be gunning for Simmons, but I also have to agree that she really brought it on herself. It almost seems that Libertas has barely briefed any of it's runners.

edit: woot! 6000 posts! Sorry, I've so little to celebrate I have to concentrate on the little things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

labelling is damn important, sure don't the farmers want more labelling, i thought libertas were going for the farming vote

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

labelling is damn important, sure don't the farmers want more labelling, i thought libertas were going for the farming vote

Ganley has them confused with Iraq - he's only going after them for the WMD.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Advertisement