Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worried about GF's diet

• 08-05-2009 11:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey,

A friend told me about this site, so i thought it would be helpful to get some "real" people's advice on something that has been bothering me lately. ("Real" people as opposed to internet google search)

My GF and I are getting married in 4 months, and I'm worried about her level of dieting and excercise. She says she is being healthy and only wants to drop half a stone before the wedding, but i think she's going a little too far.

She goes to the gym on Mondays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for about an hour and a half each time and then walks home (30 mins walk).

Her daily intake of food would be something like this:
    Porridge made with slimline milk for breakfast
    Tuna/turkey/egg salad for lunch
    And then for dinner she has some meat or fish with no sauce and a big plate of veg... No potatoes.

She doesnt snack and she only drinks water, apart from a night out on saturday when she would have a few (not many) vodka and diet 7-ups or one or two glasses of white wine.

She wants to keep this up for the next 4 months til the wedding, but i think she may loose too much weight which she doesnt need to do, in fact she doesnt need to lose any at the moment in my opinion.

She's about 5 foot 6 and I would guess at her being about 9 stone 7lbs.

My worry is she'll end up losing about a stone in this time which she doesnt need to do. I'd love to hear what you all think so I can show her your thoughts... or to ease my own worries and stop nagging her!!

Thanks for listening!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

dannyboy12 wrote: »
    Hey,

A friend told me about this site, so i thought it would be helpful to get some "real" people's advice on something that has been bothering me lately. ("Real" people as opposed to internet google search)

My GF and I are getting married in 4 months, and I'm worried about her level of dieting and excercise. She says she is being healthy and only wants to drop half a stone before the wedding, but i think she's going a little too far.

She goes to the gym on Mondays, Wednesday, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays for about an hour and a half each time and then walks home (30 mins walk).

Her daily intake of food would be something like this:
    Porridge made with slimline milk for breakfast
    Tuna/turkey/egg salad for lunch
    And then for dinner she has some meat or fish with no sauce and a big plate of veg... No potatoes.

She doesnt snack and she only drinks water, apart from a night out on saturday when she would have a few (not many) vodka and diet 7-ups or one or two glasses of white wine.

She wants to keep this up for the next 4 months til the wedding, but i think she may loose too much weight which she doesnt need to do, in fact she doesnt need to lose any at the moment in my opinion.

She's about 5 foot 6 and I would guess at her being about 9 stone 7lbs.

My worry is she'll end up losing about a stone in this time which she doesnt need to do. I'd love to hear what you all think so I can show her your thoughts... or to ease my own worries and stop nagging her!!

Thanks for listening!

If her doctor/dietist is OK with this diet you shouldn't be worried. I don't think we are in position to judge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dannyboy12

If her doctor/dietist is OK with this diet you shouldn't be worried. I don't think we are in position to judge.

She doesnt have a dietitian or anything like that and I'm pretty sure she hasnt brought it up with the doctor, seems to be her own made up plan.

I'm not looking for people to judge, just worried that she may be being unhealthy. But if it looks healthy enough to others, then thats fine with me. Just hard for me to know coming from a house of all-boys and being very healthy eaters! Not used to people dieting before!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

That sounds like a normal intake of food for a girl her height. i wouldnt worry about it to be honest. she is eating a balanced diet, she has her treats at the weekend (one or 2 glasses of wine).

I'm alot heavier now as in a lot heavier. and this is a guide to what im eating a day..

Branflakes and skimmed milk

Salad and ryvitas and a laughing cow light. Fruit( apple banana kiwi) spread out over the day.

Dinner: lean meat vegetables and salad with a carb source like one potato, or 40g (before cooking) brown pasta.

I will usually have a low fat yoghurt or a weight watchers dessert after my dinner but as I lose more weight I will not be able to do this every day. Most girls would eat about what your fiance is eating. Especially before her big day!! She is getting married! she wants to look her best for the big day as we only do it once ya know! I doubt she will be so conscious about her weight after the wedding so dont worry!! Congrats and good luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Her diet is good - she's watching what she's eating but not being silly. I would eat a similar diet and exercise 5 nights per week and no alcohol. As long as she is getting enough calories each day and a balanced healthy diet it should be fine.

If you are concerned about her losing too much weight, speak to her about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Depends how big each portion is. And what sort of dressing is on the salads etc. But i cant see that coming in over a 1000 cals

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I think the diet is balanced and good overall. Bear in mind she is already quite small so doesn't need as many calories as someone bigger. She is getting most of her nutrients but probably could afford some carbs after the gym and maybe fruit during the day as a snack. Overall however I don't think it is anything to be worried about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

dannyboy12 wrote: »
    She doesnt have a dietitian or anything like that and I'm pretty sure she hasnt brought it up with the doctor, seems to be her own made up plan.

I'm not looking for people to judge, just worried that she may be being unhealthy. But if it looks healthy enough to others, then thats fine with me. Just hard for me to know coming from a house of all-boys and being very healthy eaters! Not used to people dieting before!

ask her to go to a dietist and have a look at her diet, it's the only way to be sure; what we eat influences a really important part of our health so it's important that a diet is balanced and contains everything; the dietist has all the knowledge you need to understand if something is good, I don't think we can say anything based on a post on a forum (no offence to you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

starflake wrote: »
    Branflakes and skimmed milk
    Branflakes are 22% sugar, just pointing it out as it is a shock to most who fall for the inferred healthy advertising they have.

chris-hoy-bran-flakes-advert.jpg
    That sort of advertising makes me sick!, I would sooner have the pastries!
    Davei141 wrote: »
    Depends how big each portion is.
    Yeah, there is no way of knowing without weighing. My diet could be similar to that somedays, but I might eat an ENTIRE chicken for lunch.

Any more than 2lb fat loss per week is considered excessive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

starflake wrote: »
    I doubt she will be so conscious about her weight after the wedding

Uh, oh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

TBH it sounds like she is doing everything by the book to loose weight, but maybe a little too much by the book! The diet looks balanced enough as long as the portions are sufficient ... I wouldnt be too worried unless you notice that she is starting to loose too much weight ... There is nothing really wrong with doing that ammount of exercise (as long as she is taking in enough calories to sustain it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Well comin up to 4 months to my wedding I will want to be as lean looking as possible for the pics with the dress and stuff! Given that the OPs other half is 5 foot 6 and wants to get to 9 stone, I doubt she wants to lose any extra weight than that! I gather since the wedding is coming up she just wants to get a few pounds down. There was nothing sinister meant by that... There's no need to go fishing !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dannyboy12

Thanks for all your replies, you've really put my mind at rest. I was just afraid that she might get burnt out, what with adding this to the stress of us planning the day (not to mention financial :p)

I was just worried that she may not be getting enough to sustain her and wanted to find out for sure.

But it seems most people think this is a well balanced diet, so I should give her more credit than I have been I suppose.

As I said I'm not used to people eating this little, we eat like horses in my family house... thinking about it now, she's probably being more sensible than I am. I think i'm going to give her a bit more support and eat what she's eating (perhaps in bigger portions though!), after all, we'll both feel the benefit of it.

Thanks again everyone, you've made a very worried fiance a very happy one! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭foodaholic

how long has she been on this diet for, with four months to the wedding she might ease back a bit when she realises she has reached her target weight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As alluded to above- it really depends on what her portion sizes are. At 5'6" and 9stone 7lbs- she is already a healthy weight- and providing she is getting a little exercise- she shouldn't necessarily feel the necessity to loose all that much weight.

Eating healthily, getting some reasonable exercise and having a reasonable lifestyle (without too much alcohol, tobacco or other goodies)- is a good way to go.

Girls do always want to look their best for their big day- this is entirely normal. The sort of dietary practices which are so restrictive as to limit calorific intake in an effort to loose weight- without taking a more sensible overall approach to nutritional balance, exercise and lifestyle, are counterproductive in the long run- and unlikely to result in a long term healthy dietary/exercise regimen for the person following it.

In the absence of information about portion sizes etc- its not really possible to comment further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It sounds as though she is being quite sensible about her weight loss. Exercise and a good diet is much easier enough to sustain than some kind of terrible crash diet, and I 'm glad you are feeling better about her attempts to lose weight.

By the way- not being smart arsed or anything- but why on earth does everyone spell 'lose' as 'loose?' I admit I am NOT the greatest speller in the world, but this for some reason drives me bonkers.
    Loose= free or not tight, lose= become smaller in terms of weight, misplace something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It sounds as though she is being quite sensible about her weight loss. Exercise and a good diet is much easier enough to sustain than some kind of terrible crash diet, and I 'm glad you are feeling better about her attempts to lose weight.

By the way- not being smart arsed or anything- but why on earth does everyone spell 'lose' as 'loose?' I admit I am NOT the greatest speller in the world, but this for some reason drives me bonkers.
    Loose= free or not tight, lose= become smaller in terms of weight, misplace something.

Me bad..... at least its the only spelling I screwed up!

OP- your OH currently has a BMI of just under 22. Were her weight to fall by 1/2 stone she would still be considered a healthy weight- but were her weight to fall by 1 stone- she would be considered to be clinically under weight. Its a case of- don't overdo it- and good exercise is every bit as important as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'm gonna disagree slightly here and say I think she's going a little over the top. Iknow you haven't included portion size but from what I'm imagining that's a whole lot of exercise and not a whole lot of food. How about suggesting a few healthy snacks? Eggs, fruit, peanut butter, more milk etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Serafijn

If she's not eating enough you will probably notice in her mood and general demeanour before you notice it physically.

I know myself that I get ratty and can't concentrate if I haven't eaten enough, so if you notice her being easily irritable a lot and not acting like herself, then you will have cause for concern. If she is her normal self and has plenty of energy, then she is probably eating and exercising just enough :)

Her diet does look healthy enough, maybe a little low carb but if she is filling up on veg thats probably fine. Good luck for the big day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I would agree with Livingdeadgirl, that's a hell of a lot of exercise and doesn't seem like a lot of food (of course it's hard to tell, not knowing portion sizes)

My work out schedule would be similar, four or five 90 minute gym sessions and a good bit of walking, and I've lost 20 pounds in the past four months while eating a good bit more than what you've listed. Again, same with the porridge, salad for lunch, but I'll typically need to eat every 2 hours or so as the exercise has me ravenous! Fruit, nuts, lf yoghurt etc for snacks

And I'm a tiny person, barely 5 '2, not that big starting off either.

Obviously the wedding is the big motivator, but I don't know if this is sustainable long-term without her upping her calorie intake or cutting back on exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Op, I would have to agree with the last few posts. I think it sounds like it could be a borderline problem. I have a few mates like this who tryed to convince themselves they are being healthy but it gets to the stage where they don't know when to stop and they get increasingly skinnier. Your fiancees stats sound perfectly healthy now but just be aware of her developing habits.

The most worrying thing isn't that she is overexcercising or undereating but that this is a sudden excess thing. While its likely that after the wedding she may relax a bit with the regime but if she continues losing weight I would approach her. Also keep an eye out for her obsessing over certain food/foods or taking alot of supplements. I know that may sound a bit like stereotyping all eating disorders but I have seen this kind of thing alot and they often go hand in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

It's a healthy enough plan for a few weeks. She shouldn't really be dieting in the last two months because the dress she got might not suit her if her shape changes too much. Point that out. Anyway she's a healthy weight and you like her the way she is.

I went on a terrible bender for the two weeks before my sister's wedding and where my breasts should have been in the bridesmaid dress there was a gaping space. Had to do a DIY strap attaching job. It was very stressful. I wouldn't recommend dramatic weight loss after buying an expensive dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

I have to agree, it seems very little food and the lack of carbs when she is excercising so much will cause her mood to change!!! Coming up to the wedding she may well loose weight due to stress and as was pointed out by rantyface why spend lots of money on a gorgeous dress only to have it hanging off you!!!! She needs some fruit, roughage, she doesnt have much fibre, its not the best balanced diet, she needs carbohydrate!!! It's fine for a few weeks but 4 months on that is very excessive...

Pointing this out is going to be a problem... She might notice it herself!!

Best of luck!!

Advertisement