Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Club Opening - Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

This place sounds like tack and bling, which is a bit of a dissapointment.

The new estates south of Swords could do with a proper good local pub, when people don't want to go to the village. Somewhere the normal hardworking person can go into for a drink without too much hassle. A bit of a focal point for all these 100s of properties that have sprung up in the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Carter12 wrote: »
    All sorts were being turned away. Even regulars from Wrights. One of the regulars who was being turned away phoned one of the managers from the door. The manager came to the door and let them in. Mad

Daughter said respectable looking people were being turned away for no reason.

Saturday night was very quiet there... so I cant see the door policy lasting for long.

Yeah, not a good start for them. People will be less likely to venture all the way up there with a very good chance of getting turned away. The first couple of weeks is gonna have it's hiccups. It would be interesting to know why certain people were turned away.
    dsmythy wrote: »
    15 is the price alright. It would be some sight a group of lads coming from the UK to go to this place and then getting refused :D

Presumably as the weeks go by they will be forced into refusing less people if they want to fill the place. I might have a look then. I may even be happy to pay the 15 Euro if the drinks aren't higher in price than the rest of the region.

€15 is still expensive enough!! Lillie's is only a tenner! :D Another 'rumour' going round from the weekend was that the drinks were watered down! :rolleyes:

Have to say from the pictures it looks fab! Might get a few girlies out to it one night once it's all settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conor052001

sharkman wrote: »
    Some photos here

can anyone re-upload these? link is expired thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

Larianne wrote: »
    Yeah, not a good start for them. People will be less likely to venture all the way up there with a very good chance of getting turned away. The first couple of weeks is gonna have it's hiccups. It would be interesting to know why certain people were turned away.

€15 is still expensive enough!! Lillie's is only a tenner! :D Another 'rumour' going round from the weekend was that the drinks were watered down! :rolleyes:

Have to say from the pictures it looks fab! Might get a few girlies out to it one night once it's all settled down.

The drinks wernt watered down. No way. Ive been told the purple room inside would suit me better... due to my advancing years ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Carter12 wrote: »
    The drinks wernt watered down. No way. Ive been told the purple room inside would suit me better... due to my advancing years ;)
    Thats if you are allowed in :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

Belive me, it's not one bit tacky. The place is amazing!
    This place sounds like tack and bling, which is a bit of a dissapointment.

The new estates south of Swords could do with a proper good local pub, when people don't want to go to the village. Somewhere the normal hardworking person can go into for a drink without too much hassle. A bit of a focal point for all these 100s of properties that have sprung up in the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Gr1f wrote: »
    Belive me, it's not one bit tacky. The place is amazing!

Tacky like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    TBH from what I've heard, (turning people away for no reason) they are trying to build up a massive hype for the place and like lemmings more people will now try getting in for the first while, simply so they can get into some "exclusive pub".

Gillo wrote: »
    Tacky like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    TBH from what I've heard, (turning people away for no reason) they are trying to build up a massive hype for the place and like lemmings more people will now try getting in for the first while, simply so they can get into some "exclusive pub".

Really? Sounds like a stupid idea, esp. since it's a good bit away from Swords town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It's just a way of marketing It, take the iphone can't be got for love nor money, for some obscure reason this makes it cooler and more desirable.

Gillo wrote: »
    It's just a way of marketing It, take the iphone can't be got for love nor money, for some obscure reason this makes it cooler and more desirable.

Ah I guess maybe, I never really fall for those type of things.... couldn't tell ya what make my nokia is only that it's old. :)

• Advertisement

I heard they have been using guards to "profile" people last weekend in conjunction with their usual staff so they decide what type of punters to let in or not as the case maybe. What a LOB :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭Corb

I've been put on the guestlist for this place tonight, does anyone know if you get in free if you're on the guestlist or have to pay? I think I'll give it a miss if I have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Larianne wrote: »
    Really? Sounds like a stupid idea, esp. since it's a good bit away from Swords town.

Its really only a 5 minute walk from the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you can walk that in five minutes, good man!

1.67km, More like 15-20 and more if you're buckled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Was there again lastnight. The bouncers were lovely (to us anyway) but when we went in there was an older guy there (possibly the owner? Not sure) asking us all sorts of questions as to how we got on the guestlist. A friend of mine knows the guy that sorts out the guestlist, that's the reason for guestlists surely, it's usually about who you know but this guy wasn't very impressed and was quite rude. The place wasn't packed, if there's loads of room to move around that isn't a good sign for a club really is it? Though give me that over a cattle mart any day. Saw a few people getting turned away at the door on our way in again so they're still doing that. If they copped on with that and just let people in I'd be more positive about the place.

Anyone else think it's too big? So easy to get lost, it's very confusing. Guess it just takes a while to get used to. I still think it's a good thing for the area and I hope it does well, they just need to change their door policy like I said. Other than that no complaints, most of the staff were lovely and there's plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

sdonn wrote: »

Nah maybe 10 minutes but defo not 20 unless your unfit and need rest breaks!:eek:

sdonn wrote: »

PCros wrote: »
    Nah maybe 10 minutes but defo not 20 unless your unfit and need rest breaks!:eek:

Hmmm.. in heels it would take a lot longer.

Yeah fair enough if you walk to the sign that tells you you are entering Swords, I'd say you could walk it in 7 minutes but to get 'down the town' i.e. Londis, it's 15/20 minutes defo.

The problem defo seems to be the door policy. Can't imagine being asked 20 questions as to how you got on the guest list. How annoying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

€15 at the door... in a recession. Madness. Turning away upwards of 400 people who would've spent an average of €30-€40 each... insanity. And worse, they're turning away locals. Jesus. The place will be empty in two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Was there on Saturday night. Wasn't full but was very busy both downstairs and in the Purple room upstairs which I much preferred to the main club but thats just down to my taste in music and ageing years I guess! :p
    Had a very enjoyable night but think they need to sort out the door problems if all the rumours about people being turned away/interrogated are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Link to article posted on irishtimes.com on Saturday:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2009/0718/1224250676110.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Hill Billy wrote: »

Nice title "Dancing on the outskirts" :pac:

Hill Billy wrote: »

€38m? They were robbed ! The building contractors must be swirling a large brandy and smoking a cigar as I type :D

You could build a small hospital for that FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abbyg84

I agree with above, we should welcome more night time options in Swords. I dont really understand the bergrudery....job creation, new social outlet and less money spent on taxis to the city centre sounds good to me!

Was out there Friday night...no comparison to Krystel or any other VIP haunt in Dub.

Happy days:)

abbyg84 wrote: »
    I agree with above, we should welcome more night time options in Swords. I dont really understand the bergrudery....job creation, new social outlet and less money spent on taxis to the city centre sounds good to me!

Was out there Friday night...no comparison to Krystel or any other VIP haunt in Dub.

Do you work for wrights by any chance :p

VIP haunts? I presume you arent serious about that comment? The likes of Ray Shah,Michelle Heataon, Fair City actors etc etc are not VIP's. Who are you expecting to see in these places :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

abbyg84 wrote: »

You can't criticise anything anymore without it being called begrudgery. They're just opinions. Most of them very constructive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭northdubgal

Have they opened the TGI's there yet?

Have they opened the TGI's there yet?
    Nope. Looks like its a good bit off yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Don't know how TGIs will do. The airside Chinese is never busy any time I pass, and other local places offering food are struggling to find business. Still if it adds a bit of life I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I thought that TGI's had pulled out of the deal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Eoineo wrote: »
    I thought that TGI's had pulled out of the deal?

The place is still covered in TGI advertising

Advertisement