Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Club Opening - Swords

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Peaches Geldof Dj'ing tonight .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

sharkman wrote: »

Is that a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

sharkman wrote: »
    I'm gutted I missed out on that.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    Is that a good thing?
    Exactly! Whats the big deal? A DJ is only as good as the music they are playing.

Todays Indo

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/news-gossip/peaches-gets-party-started-at-superclub-1838240.html?from=dailynews
    wrote:
    MILLIONAIRE publican Michael Wright vowed to get the country partying as he launched his most ambitious project to date -- a vast four-storey nightclub that cost €38m.

The 40,000 sq ft Wright Venue in the Airside Retail Park in Swords, Co Dublin, aims to rival the massive super nightclubs of New York, Los Angeles and Miami.

Set over four floors and a basement and featuring cafes, restaurants and a private parking area with a lift to whisk celebrities to several VIP rooms , the venue can accommodate up to 2,700 revellers a night as they dance the night away.

It features a state-of-the-art sunken dance floor with the largest disco ball in Ireland, numerous bars, "hang-out areas" and a diverse range of private and VIP rooms with their own metal poles for pole dancing, retro Smeg fridges stocked with champagne, karaoke machines and plasma screens.

Asked about the wisdom of launching his first nightclub in the midst of the worst economic downturn in recent history, Mr Wright, the 40-something owner of The Wright Bar Group, said "It's exactly what the country needs at the moment".

"Entertainment is where it's at. People want to go out and have a big Friday and Saturday night and that's what we're going to provide. We should be partying through the recession," he said.

The cover charge for the venue will be €15.

To get the party started, celebrity fashionista and DJ Peaches Geldof and Fife Brown were flown in to work the decks while pop singer Pixie Lott performed a short set as hundreds of revellers were entertained by snake charmers, stiltwalkers and trapeze artists.
    The way hes going on about the place you would swear Airside and the surrounding areas were awash with VIP's beating the door down to get in, when in reality all they have been doing away is turning away locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭darraghjm

janey, if they spent €38million, you'd think they could of splashed out a bit more money on the acts for the launch than pixie lott and peaches geldof, its hardly the pussycat dolls or lady gaga that were rumoured!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Lady

Heading tonight, can't wait, well that's as long as me and the girls get in :/
    Is it really as picky as you've all been saying? Don't want to go just to get refused :( Any tips?

I've heard rumours that U2 are stopping in this weekend after their gig?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Lady wrote: »

Not a chance ! Although they have been known to frequent pubs on the northside .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Is it really as picky as you've all been saying? Don't want to go just to get refused :( Any tips?

They have the Clarence booked out for every night after their gigs. A few members of U2 have been spotted in Gibneys in Malahide this year a few times but I doubt very much they'd want to go to Wrights after their concerts. Probably the owner spreading these rumours.

Good luck with getting in, can't give you any tips because the people I saw getting turned away were all shapes and sizes and ages, male and female and all dressed well so no idea, it's all down to luck more than anything I think. Have a good night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Leonard Cohen was apparently having his after show party there last night. How true that is or just a stunt to drum up more publicity I don't know.

Larianne wrote: »
    Leonard Cohen was apparently having his after show party there last night. How true that is or just a stunt to drum up more publicity I don't know.
    You probably misheard, some lad called Leonard left his phone there when he was at a party :D

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Good luck with getting in, can't give you any tips because the people I saw getting turned away were all shapes and sizes and ages, male and female and all dressed well so no idea, it's all down to luck more than anything I think. Have a good night :)

My mate who works in a Wrights pub just mentioned to me there that tonight will probably be dead, and that Saturday night is the night to go but I'm hoping that means they will be more open to letting people in tonight and not being as picky :) ah well fingers crossed!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Gonna head up there myself tonight. Fingers crossed we'll get in.

"exclusive" night clubs elsewhere in the suburbs suffering!

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/celeb-haunt-fights-dance-licence-ban-in-parking-dispute-1838783.html
    wrote:
    By Andrew Phelan

Friday July 24 2009

An exclusive nightclub that was launched in a blaze of publicity has been warned it might not get its dance licence renewed because of parking problems at the venue.

Mantra Garden Bar, opened by singer Sophie Ellis Bextor in a VIP bash two months ago, has been told by a judge, "a licence is not an automatic right, it's a privilege".

The Murder On The Dancefloor singer (30) was joined by Coronation Street stars Michelle Keegan and Gary O'Brien, along with dozens of other famous Irish faces, at the launch of the lavish, €2.3m venue in Maynooth earlier this month.

The club attracted huge attention when it offered the VIP treatment to Ronaldo and his Real Madrid team-mates when they stayed at the nearby Carton House Hotel recently -- but the sportstars didn't turn up.

The club has now fallen foul of Judge Desmond Zaidan at Kilcock District Court. The judge said he was "reluctantly" granting the club its second dance licence after hearing about traffic obstructions outside the club.

Local Superintendent Gerry Giblin said he was not objecting to the club's latest application, but twice raised the parking issue. He said while the owners were making attempts to address the problem, the situation was unchanged since the start of the month.

He said taxis collecting customers leaving the 2,000-capacity venue in particular were causing obstructions on Maynooth's main street.

The superintendent suggested that the issue could be considered again at the annual licence hearing in September.

He said gardai would monitor the situation until then. He also asked the judge to restrict Mantra's special exemptions to 1am on Mondays and Tuesday, the time allowed for other local licenced premises.

Judge Zaidan said the operators could encounter difficulties at the hearing if the problems persisted.

"If it stays the way it is, they can forget about it," he said. "To let it run is just putting their heads in the sand. A licence is not an automatic right, it's a privilege."

The new multi-level club boasts lush tropical gardens, a 25ft waterfall and a towering gilt statue of Buddha, weighing two and a half tons.

A spokesperson for the nightclub was unavailable for comment.

Sizzler wrote: »

I don't care about country bumpkins and their clubs. :D

I think there is a problem with taxis up at The Wright Venue? There's no proper place for them to park?

Kiera wrote: »
    Gonna head up there myself tonight. Fingers crossed we'll get in.

GL if I see you I'll say hi....even though I've no idea what you look like :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is open now ?

Have to say I'm not a fan of going out in Swords at all :/ It is probably because I've lived there all my life.

I've always found that Swords is just messy on the weekends, perhaps this will be better located but theres no way to tell. There was a few years there where I was getting in fights every single time I was out because of drunken wallies starting on me : /

Wrights beside DHL is an ok place, my uncle DJ'd there alot and I know a few staff. It does be heavily populated though with alot of middle aged single blokes who think its cool to creep on your girlfriend, where your sitting right there, tell them to leave and they get rowdy, and their mates join in, which leads to more aggro. I'm happy enough with their door policy though, they usually turn away all the underages (mostly) and they are good at catching the troublemakers ( if you cant spot them in swords you shouldnt be working the door).

I don't think I've ever recommended Swords to anyone for a good night out. And I dont think ANOTHER nightclub is doing the area any favours :/

Then again just my view. The VIP thing is also a big laugh to be honest, friend of mine took out vip membership in Velvet for a hefty sum, and he said they just let any tom dick and harry walz up there.

There is literally no clients in Swords for "upper class vip filled" nightclubs.

The only thing Swords is good for is single blokes looking for some easy woot woot, and even then you need to do an ID check, because the amount of underage people let into Swords places is shocking.

The Cock Tavern or Whiskey bar in the lamb is just about the ONLY place me and the lads go now in Swords.

Hopefully it goes well though, I just hope it doesn't turn into a little snobs club, where all the wannabe MTV The Hills girls and lads go thinking they are VIP and everyone else should just move out of the way : /

Anyone who heads in drop me some feedback on what door policy is like, and the customer base inside. Just so I can have an idea whether I'd be interested in ever going, and when the misses asks for the first time, I'll know either to yeah lets rock, or **** off we are having vodka in the kitchen :)

GL if I see you I'll say hi....even though I've no idea what you look like :P
    I'll be the small blonde doing rows of jagerbombs at the bar and probably falling on the dancefloor cause my shoes are too high :D

Great club. Blagged my way into most of the bars. My new local.

Twincest, was looking for someone that looked like G but no :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was at the second soft opening for the place and will never go back to the place. It's a terrible hole. The music was terrible (but then again, that'll change depending on who's playing), the layout is fairly dodgy (lots of large empty rooms to walk through to get anywhere), it's tacky as f*ck (luminous flashing urinals, one-way mirrors in the toilets overlooking the dance floor, mannequin legs hanging from chandeliers...the list goes on), and they have models walking around to make it look like they'd actually hang out there in their spare time. And, I don't know if it was just me, but the dance floor was tiny.

Didn't actually mind the staff, as some people have said, but I was on the VIP list, so they must of mistaken me for someone important. And I did like the smoking section out the back (but there wasn't a lot of room as it was mostly taken up with booths).

I can't see the place doing well, but the Essex-like folk who were queuing for it will probably think that being refused is a good thing and keep going back, making the place look popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Carter12

humanji wrote: »
    I was at the second soft opening for the place and will never go back to the place. It's a terrible hole. The music was terrible (but then again, that'll change depending on who's playing), the layout is fairly dodgy (lots of large empty rooms to walk through to get anywhere), it's tacky as f*ck (luminous flashing urinals, one-way mirrors in the toilets overlooking the dance floor, mannequin legs hanging from chandeliers...the list goes on), and they have models walking around to make it look like they'd actually hang out there in their spare time. And, I don't know if it was just me, but the dance floor was tiny.

Didn't actually mind the staff, as some people have said, but I was on the VIP list, so they must of mistaken me for someone important. And I did like the smoking section out the back (but there wasn't a lot of room as it was mostly taken up with booths).

I can't see the place doing well, but the Essex-like folk who were queuing for it will probably think that being refused is a good thing and keep going back, making the place look popular.

Ah its not that bad... sounds like you went there just looking for faults. try it again in a couple of weeks or months... and relax :)

Great club. Blagged my way into most of the bars. My new local.

Twincest, was looking for someone that looked like G but no :D
    Versus this..
    humanji wrote: »

LOL! You should be working for a newspaper my friend :)

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Versus this..

LOL! You should be working for a newspaper my friend :)
    I am a lady of few words :)

/and class judging by humanji ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I am a lady of few words :)

/and class judging by humanji ;)
    Working class! :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I see they are going to war on Facebook releasing their numbers from last weekend.

"LAST FRIDAY THE WRIGHT VENUE HAD 1520 GUESTS (14 refused) & SATURDAY 2300 GUESTS (23 refused)" ...

... to quote them.

dsmythy wrote: »
    I see they are going to war on Facebook releasing their numbers from last weekend.

"LAST FRIDAY THE WRIGHT VENUE HAD 1520 GUESTS (14 refused) & SATURDAY 2300 GUESTS (23 refused)" ...

... to quote them.

Tell that to all the people that were refused, I have a feeling it's a lot more than that!

Where did you see that? I didn't see it on their Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Tell that to all the people that were refused, I have a feeling it's a lot more than that!

Where did you see that? I didn't see it on their Facebook.

It came up on one of their updates.

Why would they even have those figures up? Do most clubs take note of how many people are turned away? Bit strange methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Homer

Think it may have been implemented as a result of the opening weekend where a huge number of people were turned away.
    The door policy was changed/relaxed from what I can see after that weekend and I would imagine that the management were keen to know how many people were turned away and why.
    I would if it was my venue and I owed the bank 38 Million! :p
    Of course not everybody is going to get in for various reasons but I think the opening weekend did them no favours PR wise and they are keen to change that, whether the numbers refused are accurate or not are another thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

TheDoc wrote: »

The Cock Tavern or Whiskey bar in the lamb is just about the ONLY place me and the lads go now in Swords.

ah the Cock Tavern, I lived in Swords for a year and I really liked that place. I lived in Glen Ellen pines so it was a nice stagger home:)
    The Lamb (Slaughtered?) was relatively new when I was there but I wasn't a fan of it.

Homer wrote: »
    Of course not everybody is going to get in for various reasons but I think the opening weekend did them no favours PR wise and they are keen to change that, whether the numbers refused are accurate or not are another thing!!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking! I'm sure they had an auld google search and found this thread.

Hello Michael! *waves* Free VIP passes?? :D PM me;)

• Advertisement

I see they're doing shuttle busses from Malahide, Swords and Howth now. Good idea. Also there's a bus going from Dawson Street for €10 return. Not sure if that will be a regular thing.

Advertisement