Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Coddle

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Does anyone have a recipe and instructions for cooking Dublin Coddle? I had this years ago and would like to try to make it for myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think every family has a different recipe.
    My mother used make it with sausages, rashers, onions,potatoes,tomatoes, barley and water. She'd add a pinch of mixed herbs and white pepper and boil it for around an hour.
    It's a rough and ready thing that you need to play around with until you find the proportions of ingredients that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭velocirafter

do you boil the sausages whole, do they come out a funny colour?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

You can cut them but I like them whole. They come out pale alright but frigging tasty. Mmm coddle soaking into mash. Om nyom nyom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Yes, you boil them whole, and you do NOT brown them first to make them more appetising. They come out grey! Coddle is an ugly (but very tasty) dinner, and that's the way it's meant to be!

When I make coddle, I use good quality sausages, a cooked and shredded lump of ham or bacon, sliced kidneys, potatoes, carrots, minced onion (large pieces of boiled onion are just slimy), freshly ground salt and black pepper and a handful of chopped parsley towards the end. All boiled in water until everything is tender, served piled high in a flat soup bowl and with lots of crusty bread. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Now to start the division...

Coddle MUST be brown, FACT!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

For me the best sausages to use are the Denny skinless ones, I hate the skin of the sausages after they have been boiled in a coddle! I'm sure everyone knows who has eaten a coddle know what they remind me of!

Yes, you boil them whole, and you do NOT brown them first to make them more appetising. They come out grey! Coddle is an ugly (but very tasty) dinner, and that's the way it's meant to be!

I'll leave them whole and unbrowned, lest I suffer your virtual wrath :p

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Kingser

a dublin coddle is left for 24hours after cooked isn't it... Or something like that..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Jimdagym wrote: »

Ah now, that's just sausage stew! :P

*takes bait*

Brown coddle is a British bastardisation of our proud and ugly dish!

Some people like to leave it for 24 hours, but I only do in the case of leftovers (and there rarely are any). It is even tastier the second day.

I forgot to add, in terms of method, people differ...some like to slice the potatoes and layer it etc., but I just lop the whole lot into a huge pot, season, and cover with water, and let it do its own work.

Lads, if I wasn't going to someone else's house for dinner tonight, I think I'd make a coddle now...I'm actually salivating at the prospect.

P.S. - It's not everyone's cup of tea!

• Advertisement

At Easter the RTE Guide had a Celebrity Cook book on sale with it for €5.

Below is the Coddle recipe from non other than the ex-Tefalon Taoiseach Bertie Ahern!

Serves 6:

500g streaky rashers, chopped
    500g pork sausages
    500g onions chopped
    500g potatoes, peeled and chopped
    Parsley, chopped
    Black Pepper

- Place one layer of onions in the bottom of a heavy pot. Place the potatoes on top of the onions, followed by the chopped rashers. Place the sausages in next. Season the dish with black pepper and parsley.

- Cover with water (if you have stock, or water ham was boiled in, this will add even further to the flavour), bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 1.5 hours!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Jimdagym wrote: »

Ah ****e an' Onions
    Aul Mother D'arcy would have a canery if she heard ya, ya aul Pox.

Dr. Bill

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Only recently heard of putting tomatoes in coddle. Didn't know about that.
    Myself and my Dad love coddle but my mother retches when making it. :)

Yum yum.

Larianne wrote: »
    Myself and my Dad love coddle but my mother retches when making it.

Now that's love!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭rocknchef

I have had so many arguments over this im staying out:D

but one of my Aunties put ribs in hers and that was tasty oh i love boiled sausages:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

[- Cover with water (if you have stock, or water ham was boiled in, this will add even further to the flavour), bring to the boil and simmer for approximately 1.5 hours![/quote]

This might be completely wrong but I would add a packet of chicken/veg soup towards the end of cooking. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Is my family the only one who cook it in the oven? yum yum :) a vegetarian version, mind you. Not bad at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

everyone has a different method and everyones own one is the nicest.
    My granddad made his with superquinn sausages, streaky rashers, carrots, onions and potatoes.

God I havent had it in years

I have chefs from every corner of the world and I made it one day and they were all looking at each other and looking in the pot. so when i served it up they were all kinda standing off so i said just try it and when they did they were back up 2 and 3 times for more so every couple of weeks i make a big pot for staff meal.

bet there is at least 3 people make this over the weekend:)

Is my family the only one who cook it in the oven? yum yum :) a vegetarian version, mind you. Not bad at all!

vegetarian version ive heard them all now:D

• Advertisement

are you not just cooking onion soup? :D

are you not just cooking onion soup? :D

:D:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i only heard about this dish a few years ago

when you say stock, what kind of stock? i wouldnt mind making it for the OH and can you tell me what you put in the veggie one, i like when we can both eat the same dinner, rather then me making him coodle and me having roast veg or something

thanks

Made it yesterday...unreal!!! All the lads in the house loved it

What did you put in it, and which method did you use?

It was a bit of a combination of methods:

1/2lb sausages,
    1/2lb bacon bits,
    huge onion, finely chopped,
    7 or 8 potatoes
    2 beef stock cubes
    Some water (not sure how much)

lobbed in all in a pot and put it on a medium boil for 2 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

It was a bit of a combination of methods:

1/2lb sausages,
    1/2lb bacon bits,
    huge onion, finely chopped,
    7 or 8 potatoes
    2 beef stock cubes
    Some water (not sure how much)

lobbed in all in a pot and put it on a medium boil for 2 hours

Pretty much the same as mine bar the Beef Stock.

The flavours are all pork and salty, dont see why adding beef stock would do anything much. I use plain auld tap water. Also me thinks superquinn have the best saussies!!!

I also throw in two cups full of Pearl Barley for bulk.

But as they say each to their own, I use a heel of Batch loaf that i cut myself for soakage!!!

MMMMMMMM TASTY!!

I like this site for old recipes.

white coddle all the way!

Saussies (hicks, tesco finest or superquinn)
    Rashers - whole
    Carrots
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Throw in a pot and cover with water bring to the boil
    Reduce to a simmer
    Make a half a cup of flour paste and throw in, it will look rank but it does dissolve.
    Add 1 vegetable oxo cube
    Not traditional but a half a pack of potato soup adds more flavour.
    Simmer for 45 mins.

wish I had the ingredients at home to make this this evening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

never tried coddle thanks to me being sligoese.
    i'll try it during the week. ye pesky dubs better be right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭denat

white coddle all the way!

Saussies (hicks, tesco finest or superquinn)
    Rashers - whole
    Carrots
    Onions
    Potatoes
    Throw in a pot and cover with water bring to the boil
    Reduce to a simmer
    Make a half a cup of flour paste and throw in, it will look rank but it does dissolve.
    Add 1 vegetable oxo cube
    Not traditional but a half a pack of potato soup adds more flavour.
    Simmer for 45 mins.

wish I had the ingredients at home to make this this evening :(

I've been thinking of trying coddle but I find the use of "rashers" off-putting. Has anyone seen the sh1t that comes out of rashers when you fry them?

If anyone knows where, in Ireland, to get rashers/bacon suitable for use in this or any other recipe, I'd love to hear about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement