Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motherboard does nothing.

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having a problem with a new build, it's turning on but nothings coming up on the screen, there are no warning beeps, there are cpu activity lights on the motherboard and they all stay lit which supposedly means the cpus under full load. All that's happening is the fans are spinning.

Specs,
    MB: gigabyte GA-EP43-s3l
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 2.5GHz Socket 775 800FSB 2MB
    RAM: Corsair 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Kit CL5 1.9V
    HD: Western Digital WD3200AAKS 320GB

It was an upgrade so the power supply (Antec true 380sp) was in the case already and only had a 20pin power cable. I plugged it in to see if it would boot but it didn't. Got a 20pin to 24pin cable tried to boot same result.

I've tried two different graphics cards, one brand new and still nothing.I've disconnected the HD, CD-rom, front panel audio and usb, still nothing.

Is it strange it's not giving off any beebs to say whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

did you put the four pin one in? on your picture it's on the top right hand side.

I forgot that one with same result as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yup, that ones plugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

did you try one strip of ram? Have you other ram you can try?

No change. I'd have to butcher my home pc to get spare ram. So that would have to wait till after the weekend anyway.

I thought dual channel ram had to be used in pairs though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Leave off the connectors to the reset switch in case it's jammed on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

ScumLord wrote: »
    I thought dual channel ram had to be used in pairs though?

Not while troubleshooting, it is very much advised to use 1 stick of ram, and have it in the closest slot to the CPU socket.

Hagar wrote: »
    Leave off the connectors to the reset switch in case it's jammed on.
    No change.

The 1st graphics card I had in it was an old X1900 XTX that I replaced out of my home pc. I only used it while waiting for the card that was going to be used in it. It's a great big lump of a card with a big fan on it. I had problems similar to this on my home pc which also used a gigabyte board.

Usually when the GC is working normally the fan gets up to top speed when you turn on the pc then powers down to a much quieter volume (it's very loud at top speed). When I put it in this pc the fan went at top speed constantly. It used to do that on my home pc and hang the pc never letting it even get to the bios. I would just have to wait 30 minutes to turn on the pc. The replacement I got at home doesn't do this.

I've tried clearing the bios a few times as well.

Is it time to take advantage of the warranty? I don't see what else I can do since I can't even get it to the bios.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you were getting a less serious version of this problem with your old hardware I'd treat your PSU and possibly graphics card with deep suspicion. Also, you could run ATX2 mobos with an ATX1 (20pin) PSU, but they often really don't like it at all. Modern motherboards run on mostly 12V power, and the 20pin plug is designed to give a wide variety of inputs but only limited 12V - thus the need for modern ATX2 PSUs and 24pin connectors with the extra 12V conductors and grounds.

Plus, if your TruePower is 380s, that probably means its an old CWT that came with a Sonata case, and those die of causes both natural and unnatural. Pray it was the former in your case, otherwise you'll be RMAing that new mobo alright - and most of the rest of your PC, piecemeal. :eek: Even so, they only give 18A on the 12V rail and so the combination of new, 12V-hungry CPU, mobo and X1900XTX is probably pushing it straight off the cliff that the XTX alone had it teetering on the brink of :rolleyes:

Here is what CWT-based TruePower units are supposed to do.

Good man Solitaire. She's up and running now with a 460w PSU. I suppose I should have replaced the PSU allot sooner. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Just be glad it didn't catch Fuhjyyuitis and blow your PC up! :eek: At least you have a nice wee doorstop now! :D

Advertisement