Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 17-40mm f/4 v Canon 17-55mm f/2.8

• 08-05-2009 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

Two lenses from Canon to compare.
    The pros and cons, from your own experience.
    Please don't post reviews from other websites, I want user feedback.

Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

I'm looking to use a lens for group shots at weddings, team shots at sport and also for the odd lanscape. Price isn't so much of a concern as getting the right lens.

The Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM is an outside option, but money is a consideration for anything over €1,000

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

These are the only camera you can have on the EF-S lense!

300D/Digital Rebel
    350D/Digital Rebel XT
    400D/Digital Rebel XTi
    450D/Digital Rebel XSi
    500D/Digital Rebel T1i
    1000D/Rebel XS
    20D
    20Da
    30D
    40D
    50D

Just incase you have something else!
    I have the 17 - 40 and I find its a great all rounder.. That and it being an L lense is a plus but I never notice the difference tbh.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

haven't tried the 17-55 but the 17-40 is the default lens on my camera (a 50D). Very sharp, just about wide enough and quite small and light too...you can pick it up for around 450-500 quid brand new too. I got mine from Kerso for around that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Oh man, 17-55 2.8 IS - It's the crop sensor'd version of the 24-70. The only thing the 17-40's got better than it is overall build quality, but even then, the 17-55 ain't too shabby when it comes to that.

If you're looking at weddings, the 17-55 is miles above the 17-40 - Extra range, wider aperture, image stabilisation. You'd be mad to pick an f/4 lens over it.

The only reason I'd advise the 17-40 is if you'd be upgrading to a full frame sensor in the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Thanks for the replies.
    Fajitas, you're backing up what I had concluded myself.
    My major concern was the weather sealing, which can be important when covering Irish sport.

The prices I've been quoted are:
    17-55mm £739
    17-40mm £549

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It's worth the extra £200 imo - I know it dosn't have weather sealing, but I reckon it wouldn't be seeing too much use on the pitch itself, with it being so short compared to the usual 300mm+ and it'll be more than ready to handle a drop of rain when the occasion arises - I know a 'tog that used one with no other lenses to shoot a well known festival - Rain and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Yeah, I like the range on it.
    With regard to rain and sport, your gear tends to take a battering at sport, which it wouldn't take anywhere else.

Incidently, the 16-35mm II is priced around £1090
    That's a fabulous lens, but I can't really afford it right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I use the 17-40L a lot and find its superb, it takes all the knocks that I give it and it has been out in all weathers and just keeps on working. I have used it on remotes/landscape/portrait/group basically anything.

I havent used the 17-55 f2.8 IS but have heard a lot of issues with dust which would put me off straight away due to my working conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

i got the 17-40 f4L in the US for €500

i'd say go for it espcially if you have any plans over ever getting a 5D or 1D

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Sorry for dragging up this old thread however I am having the same decision issues. I want a nice walk around lens for my 50D and I can not decide between the 17-40 and the 17-55.

City-Exile can you let me know what lens (if any ) you went for in the end ? and how you are finding it.

I have the 18-200 kit lens that came with the camera which is fine but I don't think it does the camera justice. I know the 17-55 won't work if i eventually go full frame. I have no intention of trading up at the moment, but then i had no intention of moving from my 400D until it was stolen.

I want a lens that is sharp, reasonably wide and good for wedding, family and a bit of action type photos.

My decision changes by the week last week I was in the 17 - 40 camp and this week I am vering towards the 17-55.

I want to commit to one in the next two weeks before I take some time off work as I would like to have time to play with the lens.

All opinions gratefully taken on board.

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Cionn wrote: »
    Sorry for dragging up this old thread however I am having the same decision issues. I want a nice walk around lens for my 50D and I can not decide between the 17-40 and the 17-55.

City-Exile can you let me know what lens (if any ) you went for in the end ? and how you are finding it.

I have the 18-200 kit lens that came with the camera which is fine but I don't think it does the camera justice. I know the 17-55 won't work if i eventually go full frame. I have no intention of trading up at the moment, but then i had no intention of moving from my 400D until it was stolen.

I want a lens that is sharp, reasonably wide and good for wedding, family and a bit of action type photos.

My decision changes by the week last week I was in the 17 - 40 camp and this week I am vering towards the 17-55.

I want to commit to one in the next two weeks before I take some time off work as I would like to have time to play with the lens.

All opinions gratefully taken on board.

Ken

Go for the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. I have this lens and it's TACK SHARP!! I was recommended this lens over a 17-40mm f/4L last year by Matthew Cottom(Salesperson in B&H).He said to me it's equally as good as an L series lens.I didn't believe him but bought it anyway and boy was i glad i did when i saw the results.Believe me you won't be dissappointed...;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I bought the 17-55 f/2.8 second-hand (€630) a month ago. Delighted with it. I've posted these on another thread, but here's a few shots taken with it (on a 40D):

3939588499_7a8c2f1128.jpg

3939587455_b26c53b0f1.jpg

3940377920_0dbd536666.jpg

Like you I was looking at the 17-40, but after reading umpteen reviews, the consensus was that the 17-55 is practically L quality, with some minor build issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

Thanks for the reply's I reckon that I will go for the 17-55 so I was leaning that way. From looking around I reckon I can get it landed for about €750. One final look nect week and I will push the button on it.

Advertisement