Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after MCSA

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi all,

Im just finishing up MCSA in 2003

Ive done

70-620 Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
    70-290 Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    70-291 Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure

I must just finish Sec + as my elective and Ill be done!

I work in level one at the moment and I understand I could be accused by being overqualified but I can always not put too many certs on CV if I think I will look overqualified for any job I may go for.

My questions are as follows

1 Would I be better doing 70-270 "Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional " next as most companies have not switched to Vista or will this help my job chances?

2 What is IT market like Ive been here for 2 years now and pay is very poor?Im Cork based but would moave for better job.

3 Im 34 does this matter from a companies perspective?

4 What to go for next?

Thanks folks
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

I wouldnt lie and dumb down your CV by leaving some certs off CV. Thats a slippery slope in the long term..You're 34 so all those certs will help you..(I just mean its a big difference between you being 23 and having all that)It may not be required but if you're good as well as that.Shows you want to get somewhere in a hurry..Majority of level one support are happy to be there indefinitely and show no ambition IMHO..I'm a MCSA out of work since January..Work mainly 2rd-3rd level...Very quiet market out there...If I could give you the most important piece of advice to remember.Don't just exam know what you've studied and passed..Try to get some experience in it overall..Even if its just a home lab...I would lay off doing any more exams besides XP one..Doesnt mean you can't work towards other exams like CCENT\CCNA..Just not to officially take the exams just yet....But no point having that while on level one support.Stay in your current job if you have one!!

Advertisement