Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

And I thought this thread was about local elections in D15? Over half this thread is about other issues and arguments. There are plenty of other fora for soapboxes... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Cliste wrote: »

That said I get the feeling that you shouldn't go for election yourself. An aloof attitude will do you no favours with the electorate.

I'd better chuck my plans in the bin so!:D:D:D

athtrasna wrote: »
    And I thought this thread was about local elections in D15? Over half this thread is about other issues and arguments. There are plenty of other fora for soapboxes... :D

There are people here who have to google to find out who their councillors are. You hardly seriously expect a major debate on the pressing local issues do you?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Don't be crazy - where's the fun in that!?

On an aside - how do you think the local elections will fit in with the upcoming development plan for Fingal: 'Your Future', I hope that everyone who is taking such an interest in these elections is taking a bit of time to have an input!:D

It's not a good sign if people have to Google to find their Councillors, but I think that reflects on the Councillors too.

In the 6 years I've lived in D15 I have yet to have a single canvasser for any election come to my door. I know who my Councillors are but to be honest only one of them has been in any way helpful when contacted. As an outsider I had no pre-conceptions about any of the candidates and was open as to who I would vote for but failing any miracles in the next 3 weeks, my problem is going to be to work out if I will give any preferences past no. 1 because my experience is none of the others deserve a vote!

• Advertisement

Eithne Loftus just called by (Clearly I'm a more important voter than you athrasna :P )

Damn my lack of preperation - she sounded good enough... until I mentioned the Irish language to her. Straight to defensive she was "Some of the best Irish speakers... Enda Kenny, Leo Varadkar..." Of course if we look at the new Fine Gael website they have no problem catering to the Polish - just not the Gaelgeoirí!

Damn I should be more prepared with proper questions!

In fairness if a Cllr comes to my door I'm more worried about traffic, parks, litter, support for community groups....stuff that Cllrs actually deal with rather than general political issues.

Am hoping someone darkens my door before the elections. Will keep you posted!

In fairness if a Cllr comes to my door I'm more worried about traffic, parks, litter, support for community groups....stuff that Cllrs actually deal with rather than general political issues.

Am hoping someone darkens my door before the elections. Will keep you posted!

As I said I wasn't prepared (exams :o ), however I agree - she did tell me a bit more about the racecourse development - apparently she's been involved in keeping the developers in check.

Right in the Castleknock Branch we've:

Roderic O'Gorman (Greens): Called around - clear set of policies up on the website - active
    Eithne Loftus(FG): Has called around - active counciller
    Charlie Maples (SF) No Website - Nothing...
    Peggy Hamill (Lab) Seems to have been active - however its only at the elections I hear from her
    Mags Murray (PD FF): No Website (That's the best I could find)
    Howard Mahoney (FF): Haven't heard of this guy - EVER. (Smell of Bacon:p)

OMG - only 6 and 4 of them get elected?

OMG - only 6 and 4 of them get elected?

And to be fair I can't see the Shinner getting elected - it's just not Sinn Féin territory. They're really not active in the area.

I'm surprised that there's no independent going for it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Howard Mahoney (FF): Haven't heard of this guy - EVER. (Smell of Bacon:p)
    I have worked with Howard, who is a former Garda, on the Dublin 15 Community Council. He is the chairperson for Bramley Residents Association.

We also have Joe Higgins (SP) in the Blanchardstown/Castleknock Ward.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I have worked with Howard, who is a former Garda, on the Dublin 15 Community Council. He is the chairperson for Bramley Residents Association.

He's more active than I am giving him credit for. As active as the rest of them as far as I can see - although I think he needs to flesh out what he's saying a bit more on his website.
    We also have Joe Higgins (SP) in the Blanchardstown/Castleknock Ward.

Sure he's aiming at the European elections... I don't know - I'd like to see him back on the political stage I think he brings a lot to politics in general. I can't see him getting the council seat though, he just doesn't seem to want it. (He a website for his Euro campaign, not his Council one.)

He's more active than I am giving him credit for.

That wouldn't be hard since you'd never heard of him. How you could possibly feel you have the knowledge to comment on the activity of candidates/councillors if you call Eithne Loftus 'active' only on the basis that she called around to your house beats me.

Joe Higgins hasn't a prayer of getting elected to Europe.

That wouldn't be hard since you'd never heard of him. How you could possibly feel you have the knowledge to comment on the activity of candidates/councillors if you call Eithne Loftus 'active' only on the basis that she called around to your house beats me.

Joe Higgins hasn't a prayer of getting elected to Europe.

Are you attacking me now aswell :rolleyes: Can I add that you are bringing nothing to the thread - all you do is sit there looking down at everyone who is taking an interest in the elections (shock horror)

Now where did I say that that was why she is active? She happens to live local - and is on MY residents association. come down off that big fat high horse and drink a can of cop on.

In my experience Eithne Loftus has been a very active councillor. She's always been the first and often only Cllr to reply to any queries I've had as a resident and member of several local organisations (not including FG before anyone suggests it :D)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Powerhouse, if you cant post something useful, dont post at all please.

Are you attacking me now aswell :rolleyes:

If pointing out that it is ridiculous that you said Howard Mahony was 'more active than you gave him credit for' when you acknowledged that you never heard of him is "attacking you" then yes, you are being viciously assaulted. You could lighten up of course.

Gaspode wrote: »
    Powerhouse, if you cant post something useful, dont post at all please.

Does this apply only to me or is it advice for others as well?

If it is the latter, then perhaps you'd point out what exactly was "useful" about Cliste's comment below about Howard Mahony:

(Smell of Bacontongue.gif)

Could you explain what is useful about someone posting up a cut-down poster of a politician?

I would love if this was confined to just "useful" comments, but let us be honest and decent about it and apply it to everyone.

It would be great if you actually dealt with this rather than jumping straight to the infraction route, because as far as I can see I am probably the only one posting here who actually knows the local political scene. It's a question of what you want as a moderator I suppose.

My comment was meant as a humorous jibe at the fact that he is a Garda - since you apparently 'know' the local politician scene can you please give me some more insight into it
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    If pointing out that it is ridiculous that you said Howard Mahony was 'more active than you gave him credit for' when you acknowledged that you never heard of him is "attacking you" then yes, you are being viciously assaulted. You could lighten up of course.

Lets be honest here - I've only heard of the guy on this campaign, and even that is only what he has sent in his leaflets, and his website. He has outlined nothing about what he intends to do.
    I'm sure you'll have to forgive me for not knowing every minuscule detail of our local politicians - I waste my time doing other things in life.

My comment was meant as a humorous jibe at the fact that he is a Garda

Lets be honest here - I've only heard of the guy on this campaign, and even that is only what he has sent in his leaflets, and his website. He has outlined nothing about what he intends to do.
    I'm sure you'll have to forgive me for not knowing every minuscule detail of our local politicians - I waste my time doing other things in life.

Miniscule details? Why do you call fundamental information 'miniscule details'? We are talking about name, party and policy here - hardly miniscule details. You don't even have the basics - if, as you say, we are being honest here. So please be honest and try not to pretend that we are talking about what he had for breakfast.

The moderator said only "useful" stuff should be posted (whether its attempted humour or narky or whatever, or intended to be, is a different
    matter) so let him/her explain why that was useful, and me asking a perfectly legitimate question as to how someone is qualified to comment on the activity of a county councillor is apparently not so.*

Incidentally, what did you ask Eithne Loftus about the Irish language? I'm just wondering what you see as an appropriate role for a local councillor in relation to the Irish language.

* The funny thing is that you actually dealt with this and answered it perfectly reaonably, which baffles me further as to why the moderator had an issue with the question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Because you are posting in a manner which is antagonistic and snarky and that will be off putting people to may want to take part in this thread to share info and ask questions.
    You are being, to put it mildly, disruptive to the thread.

Miniscule details? Why do you call fundamental information 'miniscule details'? We are talking about name, party and policy here - hardly miniscule details. You don't even have the basics - if, as you say, we are being honest here. So please be honest and try not to pretend that we are talking about what he had for breakfast.

Well now to be fair why the hell would I know who he is - this is his first time going for election here, and I don't know the Gardai by name, don't live near Bramley, and while I do live in D15, I never heard of D15CC - which you will now go to say that I should - but then why should I?

I'm busy enough (in some community activities, some not) why should I know these things - other causes need people too. (And not just watching tv:D)
    Incidentally, what did you ask Eithne Loftus about the Irish language? I'm just wondering what you see as an appropriate role for a local councillor in relation to the Irish language.

I made a suggestion just before she left about the fact that I would like to see FG be a bit more pro-active in terms of the Irish language (ie having Polish on the site without any Irish is a bit insulting to me). She is also a member of FG (as well as being a current councillor) - I don't see the big problem with what I said, and it would do FG no harm at all to pull the finger out on this topic.

As for the role of a local councillor on the Irish language - very little really - the official languages act is taking care of what I would hope for from them.
    The moderator said only "useful" stuff should be posted (whether its attempted humour or narky or whatever, or intended to be, is a different
    matter) so let him/her explain why that was useful, and me asking a perfectly legitimate question as to how someone is qualified to comment on the activity of a county councillor.*
    * The funny thing is that you actually dealt with this and answered it perfectly reaonably, which baffles me further as to why the moderator had an issue with the question.

PM the Mod - or take it to the helpdesk rather then dragging the thread further away from the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

He has outlined nothing about what he intends to do.
    Howard does mention three aims on his About page. I'll ping him to mention the absence of more information.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Because you are posting in a manner which is antagonistic and snarky and that will be off putting people to may want to take part in this thread to share info and ask questions.
    You are being, to put it mildly, disruptive to the thread.

Share info? People have to have info before they can share it. All that was happening here until I joined in was a few smart remarks and a lot of self-righteous claptrap about political posters and candidates.

I have not seen ONE locally important issue being discussed. All we seem to have are people who are interested in the election beacuse there are posters up at the moment and will be talking about the Galway Races or something equally topical in another couple of months.

1) Well now to be fair why the hell would I know who he is - this is his first time going for election here, and I don't know the Gardai by name, don't live near Bramley, and while I do live in D15, I never heard of D15CC - which you will now go to say that I should - but then why should I?

2) I made a suggestion just before she left about the fact that I would like to see FG be a bit more pro-active in terms of the Irish language (ie having Polish on the site without any Irish is a bit insulting to me). She is also a member of FG (as well as being a current councillor) - I don't see the big problem with what I said, and it would do FG no harm at all to pull the finger out on this topic.

3) PM the Mod - or take it to the helpdesk rather then dragging the thread further away from the topic.

1) Well, he has been campaigning and holding public meetings for well over a month now. It would not be remarkable if you knew him given that you are posting in a thread on the local elections. That is not to say you should have, just that it's not quite the long shot you make out.

But of course that was not my point at all. My point was that given your complete ignorance of the man, how could you purport to know how active he was ("he's more active than I gave him credit for")? Unless 'active' is synonymous with 'known to you', which is hardly a reasonable definition.

2) Who said there was "a big problem" with what you said to Eithne? You're getting paranoid now. I just thought it was an unusual question for a local councillor that's all.

3) The 'mod' raised the matter publicly. If there is fairness and transparency (and frankly I will be surprised if there is - I believe the mods tend to divert matters to the trademan's entrance when challenged) the inconsistency will be dealt with publicly. Let the 'mod' explain how 'useful' your snide remark about Howard Mahony was, and why it wasn't picked up on.

Howard does mention three aims on his About page. I'll ping him to mention the absence of more information.

I will admit that I am being unduly sceptical of Howard - I think this is a product of someone questioning why I don't know who he is.

I will have to rephrase that statement because it is not 100% true: He has used the generic good things that I would expect any politician to use, however having looked at Roderic's site he has good meaty policies that can really chewed on Roderic
    Howard needs to flesh out the policies so we can really get a feel for him (I had meant to type that after what I did earlier)

I might add that none of the other politicians really offer no better policies (Loftus has a bit better), the only thing is that I at least 'know' them already - Howard is an unproven person (to me). Given the alternative's he's in contention for third place as it stands!

I will admit that I am being unduly sceptical of Howard - I think this is a product of someone questioning why I don't know who he is.

I might add that none of the other politicians really offer no better policies (Loftus has a bit better), the only thing is that I at least 'know' them already - Howard is an unproven person (to me). Given the alternative's he's in contention for third place as it stands!

If this is a reference to me, I have never questioned why you don't know him. I have merely suggested that it was not impossible that someone with enough interest in the local elections to post here might have come across him already, but if you haven't that's fair enough.

The main thing I asked in relation to him was how you could use the phrase "he is more active than I gave him credit for". How could you have decided to give or not give credit to someone you had never heard of - that was all I was wondering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Does this apply only to me or is it advice for others as well?

Yes it is advice for everyone here.

Powerhouse you have breached the charter here.

Like it or not you will get an infraction.

OK folks, stick to information about the elections, not criticism or other poster's views, nor grandstanding about who knows more than everyone else.

And play nice. FINAL WARNING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I saw Ruth Coppingers flyer recently and it had information about Denis Keane who is also running for the socialists.

I read one thing in his bio which confuses me. It says he is a civil servant. I thought civil servants had to not be involved in politics as part of their contract?

Advertisement