Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local elections

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Please people, talk about the actual issues. Why is traffic in D15 getting progressively worse while traffic overall seems to be easing off?

What's the story with schools v new developments? I know kids living in Waterville who have to go to school on the Navan road!

What are the local issues?

I personally don't give a s*%t about Irish v Polish at this point in time, I care about getting to and from work, about school places for my kids, about having a safe place to live. I don't care about party affiliations either, I'm facing giving high preferences and votes to candidates from parties I could never have considered before because it's time to sort things out now! Being from FF or another big party is not enough if you do f&£k all from election to election, you get a vote in my house if you're seen to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Sorry for mentioning it athrasna, it really had nothing to do with anything - :o

For me the big issue would be public transport - I suppose that feeds directly into the whole traffic thing (Bottom of Auburn ave, Castleknock Village - no wonder the 37/38 are late!). I think that the lights are the biggest problem for traffic..

A secondary issue is Sporting facilities, fingal has always been very good (ie getting land from the racecourse for Bridget's, and Castleknock GAA have land now(?)) This needs to be continued.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Right, I've been really busy over the last few days and haven't had a chance to look at this thread until now, and what a bloody trainwreck it is. For a thread supposedly dealing with the local elections and how they affect D15, all I can see is a load of snide remarks and completely off-topic nonsense. From now on this thread is to be used for the discussion of the local elections and nothing else. Anyone who goes off-topic risks a ban from the forum.
    Cliste wrote: »
    Howard Mahoney (FF): Haven't heard of this guy - EVER. (Smell of Bacon:p)

Cliste, whatever issues you may have with the Gardaí, leave them out of this forum. Another comment like that and you'll be taking a break from here until after the elections.
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    3) The 'mod' raised the matter publicly. If there is fairness and transparency (and frankly I will be surprised if there is - I believe the mods tend to divert matters to the trademan's entrance when challenged) the inconsistency will be dealt with publicly. Let the 'mod' explain how 'useful' your snide remark about Howard Mahony was, and why it wasn't picked up on.

Given that you have such an issue with this remark, did it at any stage ever cross your mind to report it so that a mod could do something about it or were you just too busy making condescending remarks to the other posters in the thread? Mods have lives too and aren't here 24/7, so things can be missed and we rely on people reporting posts so that they can be dealt with.

It's clear that you take a strong interest in local politics, and it's not something I would ever fault someone for, but your superior attitude to just about everyone else in this thread and, by extension almost all of the rest of the voters in D15, is quite frankly appalling. You can either politely discuss the issues with other people here in a civilised manner, or you can take yourself off to somewhere like Politics.ie and get stuck into the rough and tumble there. Either way, it's no skin off my nose, but I will not tolerate other postsers being attacked or abused for being "lazy" or "ill-informed" when it comes to the elections. Everyone has a different level of interest and it's entirely up to them how much or how little they want to know. Yes, in an ideal world everyone should know a lot more about all the candidates, but that's not going to happen and I'm afraid that's something you're just going to have to live with.

Finally, if you have an issue with the moderation of this forum I would ask that you have the decency to PM the mods to discuss it first, rather than making some sweeping and vaguely offensive comment about how things are handled here. If you'd rather not do that then the Help Desk forum is the place to post in, not in the middle of a thread such as this.

And now back to your scheduled programming...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The MiCandidate site lists 6 candidates for Castleknock/Blanchardstown. Joe Higgins must be concentrating on Europe now.

Mulhuddart ward has 14!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

daymobrew wrote: »

tbh that makes sense as it has most of the more well established areas and new canidates may not get as much of a look in even with the addition of new eastes into it ( including my own ) for the first time.
    daymobrew wrote: »

Where as the Mulhuddart area as a large population which is new to the area
    with all the new developments so it should be more diverse in who is returned in that ward.

• Advertisement

And there's controvery in the Mulhuddart ward. Read the Open letter to Fine Gael here, where Ignatius (Iggy) Okafor is giving out that the FG candidate is promising that they would get status (and Passports) for immigrants within 6 months

(First question is why a local election candidate was saying that, second why a FGer was!)

Because he didn't!! He said FG were working on a policy position which would speed up the system whereby citizenship applications take years to progress leaving immigrants stuck in legal limbo re rights to work etc.

It's a bad sign of the FF candidate IMO if he is focusing on tabloid-esque headline grabbing inaccuracies.

Still wish I was in the Mulhuddart LEA though, Castleknock 6 for 4 has to be the least competitive council contest in the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Is it just me or do all the FF candidate posters only have FF in very small print right at the very bottom of the poster?

http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV136/CV136n11.htm

Run down on the candidates.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Is it just me or do all the FF candidate posters only have FF in very small print right at the very bottom of the poster?

http://www.communityvoice.ie/pages/CV136/CV136n11.htm

Run down on the candidates.

And that's only the FF posters that have the logo. Not all of them do!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's a bad sign of the FF candidate IMO if he is focusing on tabloid-esque headline grabbing inaccuracies.

He's an independent candidate, not FF.

• Advertisement

Athrasna, I don't know the exact wording of what he said - but surely as a local election candidate this passport issue should have absolutely nothing to do with the role of a councillor (And it was both the FF and 'Iggy' who denonced his methods according to the Blanch Gazette here).
    Right in the Castleknock Branch we've:

Roderic O'Gorman (Greens): Called around - clear set of policies up on the website - active
    Eithne Loftus(FG): Has called around - active counciller
    Charlie Maples (SF) No Website - Nothing...
    Peggy Hamill (Lab) Seems to have been active - however its only at the elections I hear from her
    Mags Murray (PD FF): No Website (That's the best I could find)
    Howard Mahoney (FF): Haven't heard of this guy - EVER.

Further to the above Joe Higgins is running
    And apparently Hussain, Zahid (Ind) See the story here - has anyone heard anything about him either?

That's 8 candidates anyway!

And apparently Hussain, Zahid (Ind) See the story here - has anyone heard anything about him either?
    I have no idea who he is.
    I saw a bunch of his posters being delivered to an office beside Thai Garden this morning (I was trying to see if they are still in business because the phone has been engaged each time I ring, since last Saturday night).

Athrasna, I don't know the exact wording of what he said - but surely as a local election candidate this passport issue should have absolutely nothing to do with the role of a councillor (And it was both the FF and 'Iggy' who denonced his methods according to the Blanch Gazette here).

Further to the above Joe Higgins is running

That's 8 candidates anyway!

Any councillor/council candidate running for a political party faces questions on issues bigger than local politics. A poster on this thread earlier admitted they'd asked Eithne Loftus questions that had zero to do with D15. Adeola stated the party position. No crime there.

Saw some ads for Hussain in the local papers a while back. Might give him a preference purely as he's someone I haven't had a negative experience of so far in my time in D15, makes him one of the few candidates in the running this time!

Any councillor/council candidate running for a political party faces questions on issues bigger than local politics. A poster on this thread earlier admitted they'd asked Eithne Loftus questions that had zero to do with D15. Adeola stated the party position. No crime there.

Yea - that was me. And if I remember correctly you pointed out that local issues were more important :p
    Saw some ads for Hussain in the local papers a while back. Might give him a preference purely as he's someone I haven't had a negative experience of so far in my time in D15, makes him one of the few candidates in the running this time!

This sounds juicy! What have the other candidates done to turn you off them?

I actually saw posters from him up closer to the centre - I'm not sure if he knows that this side of the M50 is part of the area!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

From the leaflet drops into my house I have noticed a few mentioning the one way road in Clonsilla.

Now I know this has been a long running issue but will it make much of a difference opening this up again?

Just out of curiosity as I dont live down near there but I avoid that place like the plague in case I get caught in traffic there. I am just wondering how much of effect opening it up will do and why did they make it one way in the 1st place?

This is not a post on saying it should stay one way or change I am just curious thats all.

Yea - that was me. And if I remember correctly you pointed out that local issues were more important :p

This sounds juicy! What have the other candidates done to turn you off them?

I actually saw posters from him up closer to the centre - I'm not sure if he knows that this side of the M50 is part of the area!

Local Issues are more important in the local elections. Which is why it annoys the hell out of me that this whole Ogunsina thing is even a story!

Lots of Hussain's posters on the approach to the Phoenix Park. Would like to know more about him.

As for the other candidates I'm involved in a number of community groups of different types. One candidate was verbally abusive to me at a meeting, they came over to me out of the blue and started spouting s*ite. Am hoping their canvassers come to visit!!

The others, largely I've found they don't answer emails about local issues, requests for info etc. In one case the email bounced back because the Cllr's inbox was full.

Only one councillor has been universally helpful so it's difficult to decide where to spread my preferences after that. At the same time I look forward to not voting for the abusive one, and perhaps voting tactically to reduce their chances :D

Local Issues are more important in the local elections. Which is why it annoys the hell out of me that this whole Ogunsina thing is even a story!

Are you kidding? This is the best story the gazette has had in years, they can't waste opertunities :D
    Lots of Hussain's posters on the approach to the Phoenix Park. Would like to know more about him.

As for the other candidates I'm involved in a number of community groups of different types. One candidate was verbally abusive to me at a meeting, they came over to me out of the blue and started spouting s*ite. Am hoping their canvassers come to visit!!

The others, largely I've found they don't answer emails about local issues, requests for info etc. In one case the email bounced back because the Cllr's inbox was full.

Only one councillor has been universally helpful so it's difficult to decide where to spread my preferences after that. At the same time I look forward to not voting for the abusive one, and perhaps voting tactically to reduce their chances :D

Well, if I can be of assistance let me know:p

Maybe follow the advice of the CV ;)

ciaran76 wrote: »
    From the leaflet drops into my house I have noticed a few mentioning the one way road in Clonsilla.

Now I know this has been a long running issue but will it make much of a difference opening this up again?

Just out of curiosity as I dont live down near there but I avoid that place like the plague in case I get caught in traffic there. I am just wondering how much of effect opening it up will do and why did they make it one way in the 1st place?
    I think it is already decided that it should be reopened - or is certainly under consideration by Fingal CoCo.

I think that it will make a difference. Right now Snugborough Road Extension between the Blanchardstown Road South roundabout and there one near the fire station gets very backed up because it is taking traffic from Clonsilla and other areas.

Opening Clonsilla Road should allow those going to Blanch village go there directly and alleviate congestion on Snugborough Road Extension.

Maybe follow the advice of the CV ;)

I was wondering what you meant - but after seeing that article it all makes sense! - what a plan! :D

• Advertisement

Got a few leaflets this weekend in the door saying they(insert name) had a really positive response in the area after recently canvassing !

See a few on Sunday morning walking around the Littlepace area but still haven't met one at the door yet.

Seems like David McGuinness is pushing hard in the area with a good load of posters been put up. Reckon it will be a close call on the count day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Have not had one single canvass in Waterville!

Am registered voter, and have emailed all of councillors asking them to tell me why I should vote for them. Got reply from Leo Varadkar and from Peggy Hamill, so will vote FG, but would dtill have like personal visit!

Can't understand why we are in Castleknock Ward!

amtc wrote: »
    Have not had one single canvass in Waterville!

Am registered voter, and have emailed all of councillors asking them to tell me why I should vote for them. Got reply from Leo Varadkar and from Peggy Hamill, so will vote FG, but would dtill have like personal visit!

Can't understand why we are in Castleknock Ward!

Apparently there are not enough registered voters in Waterville to make it worth canvassing :rolleyes:

In all my time living there only FG & Labour have even sent frequent literature, no sign of any of the others until a Green card too little too late last week.

I noticed the posters near Spar were taken down, rightly so. Until the council takes the development as a whole in charge it's private property.

As for Castleknock Ward - the Snugborough Road is the divide between Castleknock and Mulhuddart hence all those posters that mean nothing to us on all sides of the entrance! Clonsilla is even more confusing as the boundary is in the middle of the village AFAIK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Why do candidates say that they are for better schools, transport, against anti social behavior and so on which instead of saying that they will be YOUR voice on the council and ask YOUR questions for you at meetings instead of following party politics. These councillers who seek to be re elected harp on about the same things when non of them have anything to show for their last term. Non of them can get better schools and transport and stop anti social behaviour so who are they kidding.
    Ive seen my list of candidates and non look like they deserve my vote.
    Where is Mr Tayto when you need him .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Powerhouse wrote: »
    You can be assured that people have voted for someone because they saw them on a poster. Why on earth do you think political parties spend money on these things? While the candidate that chose not to put any up might get your vote (which in fairness seems no less illogical than voting for someone because they have a poster up) because of the lack of recognition factor your ballot paper would become very lonely in its own little pile.

Leo Varadkar spent an absolute fortune in the last election. He had posters up at the bus shelters for weeks on end which cost him thousands upon thousands. He spent far more than either of the other two elected candidates elected on posters. This was a lesson he learned the hard way. In the local election in 1999 Varadkar polled 380 votes. Five years later his vote increased by 1,200% when he polled the highest vote in the country and followed it up with nearly 7,000 votes in the General Election. He certainly saw the value in posters. Don't be codding yourself that this stuff doesn't matter.

Posters are only good if you follow a particular party and dont know which candidate is running and if you act like a sheep who just follow the others who think like you. For those who dont follow a party the posters are no use unless you like the look of the candidate but they tell you nothing about the candidate only that they represent a political party.
    Foot work is the best way and the leaflets which you can read or not and bin or recycle them,at least they tell you something about the candidate. Most candidates are lazy and rather get others to do the work for them.
    Dont even start me on Varadkar as he only jumped on issues that were already on going and even claimed he got things done when he had nothing to do with them.

cymro wrote: »
    Why do candidates say that they are for better schools, transport, against anti social behavior and so on which instead of saying that they will be YOUR voice on the council and ask YOUR questions for you at meetings instead of following party politics. These councillers who seek to be re elected harp on about the same things when non of them have anything to show for their last term. Non of them can get better schools and transport and stop anti social behaviour so who are they kidding.
    Ive seen my list of candidates and non look like they deserve my vote.
    Where is Mr Tayto when you need him .

Have you made contact with any of them? Have you read the council reports in the Community Voice? My experience, as a resident and as an activist in a community group or two, is that only FG & Labour give a sh&t and what goes around comes around - that's where my votes will go on Friday. Just wish the other crowd would canvass so I could tell them!

So at the end of it all we had only one canidate knock on my door and that was last night !

Ignatius Iggy Okafor !

His people were nice and they spoke well and said everything I wanted to hear. I don't know much about him apart from the local paper and what his people told me at the door last night.

I actually spoke to them about how they were the only people to knock at the door and they said they were getting alot of similar replies in the area I am in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Have come across Ignatius Iggy Okafor myself. He seems a genuine person and afaik he's been vey active in the community for a long time now, more so than any of the party candidates.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I had 3 calling while I was in, a record as usually we get none or maybe 1.

Iggy Okafor, a person on behalf of the FF candidate Niamh Moran, and
    Adeola Ogunsina all called.

Got multiple pieces of literature from every single one except Maria McGrail.

• Advertisement

Yeah recieved nothing from Maria McGrail either.

I wonder why people go for election and you dont see any posters or any news really on them. I wonder is there a reason behind it?

Advertisement