Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front garden grass is to hard to cut

Options
  • 08-05-2009 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭James Mcfadden

Ive a large front garden and the grass is like a thick sponge to cut through. When you stand on the lawn its like standing on sponge. Its extremley hard to cut and you have to lift the cutter over it to cut it. Has anybody any ideas what I can do here???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jobrok1

I have the same problem.

My plan is to use a strimmer to cut the lot down to ground and then plant Ash and Hazel on the whole area. I'm toying with the idea of leaving an open area in the middle to set up a play area for the kids. Swings, playhouse, etc...

Long term the plan is to have usable wood for firing and using in the back garden and veggie patch, ie. posts, fencing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭James Mcfadden

[quote=[Deleted User];60158398]Sounds like you have moss! and yes it is very hard to cut. You have two options, lawn feed and moss killer, or dig it up and start over. Lawn feed and moss killer isnt great but it does work a bit.[/quote]

Yeah its to big to cut up so I might try that moss killer but will it not leave holes in the lawn?
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

what lawn :D

it must be all moss.

the moss killer will make the moss turn black, the grass should come up through it .

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Spurs101!

Think I had the same as this, lawn was about 10 yrs old and was not cut very often before I moved here. Felt like there was a really thick spongy carpet on top of ground. I think it was because the grass was previously so high and when cut was not cut down to the ground - as it would look like a silage field, which left a sort of butt and the grass grew on and up through this. Hope you know what I mean.

I cut it a few times in quick succession, shorter and shorter - looked bad (kinda like the final week at Wimbeldon) but newer fresh grass came on then, perfect now. Maybe it was easier for me as I used a ride-on lawnmower but its fine now.

Advertisement