Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halifax Debit Card abroad

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Going to South America next month and just wanted to make sure this card works ok. I know there have been difficulties with it within ireland (have had a few transactions that various vendors couldnt process...supposed to be due to them not updating their end of the visa system but telling them this doesnt seem to register!).

Has anyone used it abroad ..well, outside the EU really? Any issues with it?

Want to make sure as it will be my sole source of cash...with maybe having someone on standby to worldpay me some money as a last resort ...albeit that would be an expensive option.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,919 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

There's a Sticky on this at the top of the forum which might be of some help. Would you have enough time to apply for a credit card before you go? That'd probably be more widely accepted than the debit card, so you could use that if you get stuck and would probably work out cheaper than worldpay.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've used it within the EU and outside for both ATM and card payments without a problem (apart from National Rail ticket machines in the UK, where the card slot seems to be triggered by one of the missing corners!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have been using it for over 2 years here and abroad and haven't had a problem. Most places wont give you cash back at the till, but purchasing here or outside Eu haven't had a problem, and from atm's the same. I have used it in north america, not the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Also, don't forget to let them know your travel plans so they can note it on your account - can be useful so transactions in South America don't get flagged up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

I used mine in Egypt last year. No probs at all. Do bring a standard credit card too though just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Thanks for the responses. Yes, will ring my bank beforehand. Don't have another card available and don't think I will get one. I'd have to pay the duty on it. Worst case scenario, I will get someone to Western Union me funds. Up to 999 costs €53 - so will use that in case of emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Just some feedback for others. Card worked fine in 95% of Bank ATMs. However, on the two occassions I tried to make direct purchases with the card, the payment could not be processed.

It wasn't that important but if I wanted to make a more sustantial purchase, it would have been. Not sure why there continues to be issues with Visa Debit....surely visa is visa...

Advertisement