Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen within the 30 days of the June Elections???

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I was just yapping with a few mates last night over a few pints as to what will happen after these elections in June. Obviously there are two real outcomes within 30 days after the elections, either the present incumbents remain in power until the next crisis or else if they will do poorly in the elections (and I think that they will be wiped out), then the pressure will be piled on for a general election...

Here's my prediction:

FF will suffer huge losses at local level and will lose the two by-elections. The government will maintain it's brass neck and continue to shout and pedal, "business as usual, we were elected to do a job and we will continue doing it, blah blah blah"...

I think this is the point where people are going to start rearing up in this country. I reckon people are going to start getting seriously cranky around this time, maybe coupled with some ever worsening exechequer and unemployment figures, people will start taking to the streets.

I predict that as the politicial temperature increases by the hour, the Green Party will pull out of government to force a general election, to be seen as being with the people rather than being with FF. The Green's I predict will hang FF out to dry and let FF be the conduit for the fury of the people after these elections.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »
    "business as usual, we were elected to do a job and we will continue doing it, blah blah blah"...
    So you get the concept of democracy then.

Good.

Nothing to see here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Dáil will adjourn for summer recess then reconvene in September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I was just yapping with a few mates last night over a few pints as to what will happen after these elections in June. Obviously there are two real outcomes within 30 days after the elections, either the present incumbents remain in power until the next crisis or else if they will do poorly in the elections (and I think that they will be wiped out), then the pressure will be piled on for a general election...

Here's my prediction:

FF will suffer huge losses at local level and will lose the two by-elections. The government will maintain it's brass neck and continue to shout and pedal, "business as usual, we were elected to do a job and we will continue doing it, blah blah blah"...

I think this is the point where people are going to start rearing up in this country. I reckon people are going to start getting seriously cranky around this time, maybe coupled with some ever worsening exechequer and unemployment figures, people will start taking to the streets.

I predict that as the politicial temperature increases by the hour, the Green Party will pull out of government to force a general election, to be seen as being with the people rather than being with FF. The Green's I predict will hang FF out to dry and let FF be the conduit for the fury of the people after these elections.

Dublin will hit FF very heavily. Particularly South Dublin. The By-Elections are gone, and Ryan's seat is not yet safe in the EP.

Outside of Dublin, the biggest issue surrounds the North West seat, which could be a gonner. However, at local level, I dont see more than 30 seats going. This will be incremented with another 20 or so wich will go in Dublin.

At worst this will mean the negation of Fianna Fail power on the Co Councils, and a further dilution of FF power in Europe. Furthermore, they are to lose one vote in the dail, as Gregory's was never a dead cert. Its not going to be enough to piss the party off.

The Greens on the other hand, will have a static locals. They may win or lose a seat or two, however, they will not be obliterated at the locals. In Europe, De Burca's chances of a respectible finish have plumetted since McKenna entered the race, which will split the Green Vote, while McKenna will also attract the Eurosceptic vote.

Thus, I dont believe that it will be bad enough to see the end of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snubbleste wrote: »
    Dáil will adjourn for summer recess then reconvene in September

Exactly. This thread is another one of those circular arguments we've seen a lot , not just here but "in the wild" as well. Indeed it is almost like different strains of the same virus. Unless the Govt loses a vote of confidence and submits its resignation and it is accepted we are stuck with them. So no matter how much people rage against what they have done to the country, all that will change is their majority, which is expected to reduce by 2. Aside from that we will learn which party has the largest numbers of council and MEP seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

is_that_so wrote: »
    Exactly. This thread is another one of those circular arguments we've seen a lot

Agreed, the same threads appearing every day by the same posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

The Greens will increase their share of the vote and will feel vindicated in their current cosy position and will be in no mood to shake the tree and bring about a GE which will surely see them out of government.

FF may well win the Dublin central by-election and BC will argue that he has a strong mandate to continue along the current road. .

The boardsters will cry anarchy and call the populace onto the streets to demand change; then they will log off and get on with their normal daily lives and hope they keep their jobs . . .

Advertisement