Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lining the Outdoor Dog Run

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭

I've 5 dogs and a large 60' x 30' outdoor enclosure for them.

The problem is the ground has gotten very mucky and it makes a mess on the dogs and in their beds.

I was looking for suggestions for what to put on the ground outside.

I was considering woodchip as the enzymes help break down the waste, any suggestions.

I want something that is easy to keep, will not turn to muck in the Irish weather and hygenic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

What about the rubber flooring that's used in stables? Hose down, and it's tough and firm. You can get click together tiles....I think each one is E40 or E50 for a 6 x 6ft....don't quote me on that though...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The more expensive option would be concrete, or a bit cheaper would be patio slabs. They would be the most hygenic I guess because you can scrub the living daylights out of it or get the power hose at it.
    Tarmac would cost a fortune and tends to melt a bit in summer (if we get one) and could stick to the pooches paws).

If the ground is level ish the rubber tiles might work if layed in a way that the dogs don't chew the edges.

Woodchips might work but avoid the ones made from cocoa mind you never seen that type in garden centers. I throw wood chip on the more worn areas of the garden where the dogs run up and down on, it's very effective.
    Not 100% sure how safe it is in dog runs but it's just pine as far as I know if unsure double check just in casey.

Our dog run is made of patio slabs that were layed really well with the proper base it's really solid although next time I'd prefer to get a slab that didn't have so many ridges/pattern in it a smoother one would be easier to clean.

Advertisement