Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT, What's in the boot? & Seat belt issue!

Options
  • 08-05-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Ok lads I’ve got the NCT later today and I’m just wondering about what to do with the car-jack and wretch? They are loose in the boot (there's no fixed place for them where the tire is, as not original)

Should I take them out or do they need to be there for the test?

Also the male part of the rear middle (lap) seat belt was missing so the mechanic took another one off an old car of the same make. The problem is that it works with the other two female parts but not its own intended catch!

Do they check this or do they just count them?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I wouldn't leave em loose in the boot just in case but TBH they didn't even open the boot for mine.

As for the seat belt if they're visible you'll probably get away with it but you might get a guy who's thorough.

Also smack your mechanic upside the head for sticking te wrong one in!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They tend to check the seatbelts alright.
    As for the jack rolling around in the boot, the loose contents of the boot are not part of the test.

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I emptied the boot before my test, including the spare wheel and trolley jack to keep the weight of the car down for the braking and suspension tests. It failed on other issues but they didn't remark on the missing wheel or empty boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Also smack your mechanic upside the head for sticking te wrong one in!

I know I'm bricking it! I only just noticed there and It's too late now.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You should fail on the seat belt issue all right but if that's the only issue it'll just be a free retest as no equipment will be required.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You're not required to have a spare wheel - plenty of new cars don't even come with one as standard. Also, if you can get the seatbelts to click into the buckles and leave them like that they often seem to not bother doing anything with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Stephen wrote: »
    if you can get the seatbelts to click into the buckles and leave them like that they often seem to not bother doing anything with them.

they do check them for frays etc in my experience, but it does depend on the tester and his mood.:P

Well the boot is now empty but there's no chance of the seat belt clicking into place and if they were to discover that I shoved blue tack or something in it I'm sure they wouldn't be impressed so I'm just going to wing it.

Thanks for the advise lads, wish me luck.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don't use bluetac - just leave it open and visible. In my experience, they just check that the restraints on the belts work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Empty the boot alrite, but i'm fairly sure they check all the seat belts.

You might get away with it, but i'd get the belt sorted cause you never

know when you'll need it. Surprised you mechanic did such a silly thing!

• Advertisement

FAIL!

Well as you can tell it failed.

Yes it failed on the seat belt but I'm not that bothered about that as it also failed on the emissions. That mechanic told me he had seen to the emissions and that it was all good!!!

mechanic.carguy.blog.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Yes it failed on the seat belt but I'm not that bothered about that as it also failed on the emissions. That mechanic told me he had seen to the emissions and that it was all good!!!

I wouldn't be too impressed with your mechanic if i was you. Make sure he looks after you re the emissions. If he specifically said the emissions were good for the NCT i'd be looking for him to sort it out free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

I wouldn't be too impressed with your mechanic if i was you. Make sure he looks after you re the emissions. If he specifically said the emissions were good for the NCT i'd be looking for him to sort it out free of charge.

Absolutely - and more over, he should be discounting you the cost of the NCT retest that you're going to have to shell out for as he said the emmissions was AOK for the test. I'd impress this on him.:eek:
    I hope you have'nt paid him already, have you?

Advertisement