Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting the number of a defunct phone line for BB installation

Options
  • 08-05-2009 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, just some quick advice needed. Mods, please feel free to shove elsewhere if there's a more appropriate forum for this question, I'm new to these parts! :)

OK - I've just moved into a new house, and want to get broadband. We had NTL in our previous house but where we are now (south Dublin city centre) they don't offer internet services, so we have to go elsewhere. Problem being, all the other providers need a phone line to proceed.

Now, there's a phone line in the house but no dial tone (I assume it's inactive, the house was empty for a while before we took it). I asked the landlord who the account was with and what the number was but he told me it was set up by a former tenant and he didn't know. I called Eircom, gave them the address, but they only told me the account wasn't with them and couldn't give the number or anything. It's a bit frustrating as I have to supply the phone and account numbers to get the broadband set up.

Is there any way of finding out these details? Has anyone had similar experience, and how did you resolve the problem if you had it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

It's a real pain that you need a phone number to see what BB services are offered. We've never had a phone line but there is one in our house (dead I assume, never plugged a phone in, previous owner had a phone I think) but when I get annoyed with IBB and would like to see whatelse is out there, I cant without the number, which I dont know or know how to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The phone number isn't tied to that house, and eircom are not in a position to give the former tenants number, as they could well have moved it with them. The only thing you can do is get the line activated, and then try the number you're given. It can take up to 4 weeks (or more) for the line to show in the database, you will not get a positive result immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I had a similar problem, but the old tenants left a large bill on the line from another provider, I just had eircom install a 2nd line into the house, and its free till the 22 may i think.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Can you not knock on a neighbours door and see what they are getting?

Advertisement