Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Alarms

Options
  • 08-05-2009 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Bit of a problem here.

I've been living in a rented house for the last year; we have a burglar alarm but never set it. Yesterday evening, I was just going to the gym when my housemate rang me saying that the alarm had gone off and asked me the code. I told him what I thought was the code, but never having used it, I wasn't 100% certain.

It didn't work apparently, and after suffering through the noise for a while he took the initiative of opening the alarm box and taking out a fuse or battery or something. It seemed to work -- the main alarm stopped going off, but the unit inside the house was beeping constantly. Also, one of the trip switches had gone, leaving us with lights but no plug sockets in the house.

When I got home, I tried to ring the alarm company as on the box -- Galway Alarms, with an address in Wellpark. The company seems to be dead, however. Now we have a half-connected alarm that's flashing the mesasge 'Call Service', no electricity, and it's Friday afternoon... not the best situation.

If I call another alarm company, will they be able to reset the box for us? How much would a call-out charge be, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Ring Mick in FBI Security @ 091-564141

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

I think you should contact your landlord as the onus is on them to sort out this problem. I had a similiar issue but ended up calling an electrician to sort the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Rang the landlord, they just confirmed that the code is what I thought it was (apparently my housemate is an idiot :) )

I'll be home in an hour; gonna replace whatever he took out and see if I can put the code in to stop it. Otherwise I'll ring the crowd sgthighway suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If all else fails, hit it with a hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

For future reference, it's much easier to break into houses that don't have alarms:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    For future reference, it's much easier to break into houses that don't have alarms:pac:

Rumbled!

Rang the letting agency earlier having gotten home and ensured it wasn't a code problem. The agency contacted the landlord who said she'd check for the code when she got home; haven't heard anything since.

Pretty annoyed with how it's been dealt with to be honest, but as much my fault for presuming we had made some stupid error in putting in the code.

I rang FBI Security and had a brief chat with someone there -- got redirected to a mobile, so I presume it was Mick. When I told him the model of the alarm, he said I'd be best off disconnecting everything in the box :)

To be honest, I'm a bit scared to do that in case the exterior alarm starts going and I can't shut it up. Ideally, I would like a shotgun to just blow the ****er off the side of the house.

Advertisement