Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I've just registered for PAYE anytime and they're sending me my PIN by post (I chose e-mail, but apparantly even though they give this option, they can only send by post for some reason).

Anyway, my question is, to register, I had to use my 2015 P60, but I had two jobs over the last year (My P60 from my current job is due in the next week) and I was wondering, can I register more than one P60?

I'm due tax back from my current job for last year, but am worried I won't be able to use it on top of the one I registered from my last employment. I can't find info about this anywhere in the FAQ's.

Of course you can use the details from both P60's when you get access to system.
    All you have done so far is register to get access. You provided some information which for some reason did not match 100% the information Revenue have on file for you. That's the reason your pin didn't come by email.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Apologies for the probably stupid question but I have been given 2 different bits of information! I work part time and dont pay tax at all. I have paid approx 3000 for my sons braces and was told by the Dentist that I could claim the tax back. However I have also been told that as I don't pay any tax that I can't. Now I understand the premise but is that accurate?

Dovies wrote: »
    Apologies for the probably stupid question but I have been given 2 different bits of information! I work part time and dont pay tax at all. I have paid approx 3000 for my sons braces and was told by the Dentist that I could claim the tax back. However I have also been told that as I don't pay any tax that I can't. Now I understand the premise but is that accurate?

Yes that's correct. In order to claim any refund of tax, you need to have paid tax in the year the expense you are claiming occurred.

If you are married or in civil partnership and assessed jointly for tax purposes, then your spouse could claim the tax relief assuming they had met the criteria of paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Hi wondering if anyone might know how long tax refunds are taking at the moment? We were married early last year and we brought all our documents and filled out the forms for a refund on the sixth of January.

We were told as I don't work that my husband is entitled to my tax credits going back to our wedding day and it would be refunded in the next four weeks.

We received an amended tax credit cert for my husband last week so called this week to check up on it as it's been five weeks now only to be told there is a back log and it should be couple of weeks so just wondering of anyone knows how much longer are likely to wait?

Thanks

ameee wrote: »
    Hi wondering if anyone might know how long tax refunds are taking at the moment? We were married early last year and we brought all our documents and filled out the forms for a refund on the sixth of January.

We were told as I don't work that my husband is entitled to my tax credits going back to our wedding day and it would be refunded in the next four weeks.

We received an amended tax credit cert for my husband last week so called this week to check up on it as it's been five weeks now only to be told there is a back log and it should be couple of weeks so just wondering of anyone knows how much longer are likely to wait?

Thanks

Every office is different depending on staff resources, but January, February and March is one of the busiest periods of the year for a PAYE section. It looks like the paperwork you provided had been worked as an amended tax credit cert issued for 2016.
    Did you submit details of your husbands pay and tax for 2015 when you dropped in your documentation?

• Advertisement

He is in work now so I'm not sure but he went in and told them we had married and asked them what he needed to use my tax credits and get a refund, they sent him off with forms and he brought in everything they requested. I know he needed the marriage cert and he would have his pay slips and p60 to hand so if he was asked for them he would have had them there but I'll check with him.

They only thing we a received so far is the amended cert which shows he now has my tax credits. It mentions nothing about a refund .

He went to the tax office in the city centre but the tax credit cert was addressed from someone in fingal?

When he rings he is told it's been assigned to someone and no more information. I'm just afraid maybe a step was skipped as he wasn't told to do the p 21 thing or anything but maybe a marriage refund works differently

ameee wrote: »
    He is in work now so I'm not sure but he went in and told them we had married and asked them what he needed to use my tax credits and get a refund, they sent him off with forms and he brought in everything they requested. I know he needed the marriage cert and he would have his pay slips and p60 to hand so if he was asked for them he would have had them there but I'll check with him.

They only thing we a received so far is the amended cert which shows he now has my tax credits. It mentions nothing about a refund .

He went to the tax office in the city centre but the tax credit cert was addressed from someone in fingal?

When he rings he is told it's been assigned to someone and no more information. I'm just afraid maybe a step was skipped as he wasn't told to do the p 21 thing or anything but maybe a marriage refund works differently

The amended cert issues from whatever district deals with your address, it won't say that it issued from a public office. That's just an automatic process once a caseworker has worked the case.

Requesting a P21 for 2015 won't sort a year of Marriage Review for you. It has to be manually done for you through your district office. I'm wondering about him having his 2015 P60 in early January as most people don't get them till later in the month. It could be Revenue don't have all the info to carry out the 2015 Review.

I'd contact Revenue via my enquiries and ask what's the status of your year of Marriage Review and if anything else is required.

. I'm wondering about him having his 2015 P60 in early January as most people don't get them till later in the month. It could be Revenue don't have all the info to carry out the 2015 Review.

I'd contact Revenue via my enquiries and ask what's the status of your year of Marriage Review and if anything else is required.[/quote]

Thanks for the info I'll get him to do that. He gets his p60 fairly early, he can print them and pay slips off in his place of work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find what tax I am due back on the site- not bothered going through an agency and may let it build up for another year if it's not a whole pile, I can only seem to find my tax credits/tax relief due? I can't navigate the site.

222233 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find what tax I am due back on the site- not bothered going through an agency and may let it build up for another year if it's not a whole pile, I can only seem to find my tax credits/tax relief due? I can't navigate the site.

There isn't a button to press or field to show what if any tax you may be owed from prior tax years.
    You can request a P21 balancing statement for 2015 which when it issues will show if there was any overpayment, underpayment or if you paid the correct amount.

Usually unless you are claiming additional reliefs or tax credits, all is in order and you paid the correct amount of tax for the year.

There are help icons all over the site to explain what to do and videos also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Paddymcg123

I started work in December 2015 and just got my PAYE anytime account set up a few weeks ago but for the 2016 tax year it's saying 'you are not eligible for tax credits in 2016 unless you were in employment during the year' I did give my employer my p45 from my last job so revenue should know I'm currently working right?

I started work in December 2015 and just got my PAYE anytime account set up a few weeks ago but for the 2016 tax year it's saying 'you are not eligible for tax credits in 2016 unless you were in employment during the year' I did give my employer my p45 from my last job so revenue should know I'm currently working right?

They should if your employer had bothered to inform them. A lot of employers are extremely lax when it comes to getting new employees registered in a timely manner.

Call your local PAYE 1890 number and provide details for you new employer, to register it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Hi folks I hope this is the right place to post. If not can a mod move it please.

There is a strong possibility I will be offered my first job on Friday and as such I will have to register for my tax credits. It used to be form 12A but I think that practice has been discontinued. What do I have to do? Also what receipts will I need to keep going forward?

lycan238 wrote: »
    Hi folks I hope this is the right place to post. If not can a mod move it please.

There is a strong possibility I will be offered my first job on Friday and as such I will have to register for my tax credits. It used to be form 12A but I think that practice has been discontinued. What do I have to do? Also what receipts will I need to keep going forward?

Automated now. Follow the link below.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/jobs-pensions.html

What receipts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Automated now. Follow the link below.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/jobs-pensions.html

What receipts?

Thanks for the swift reply. I will follow that link when I get 100% confirmation that the job is mine. I also need to accumulate the required info mentioned in the link.

Receipts so I can claim back tax on allowable expenses. I know about the bin charges one.

lycan238 wrote: »
    Thanks for the swift reply. I will follow that link when I get 100% confirmation that the job is mine. I also need to accumulate the required info mentioned in the link.

Receipts so I can claim back tax on allowable expenses. I know about the bin charges one.

Bin charges are gone for years. Health expenses are the main expenses paye employees can claim tax relief on these days at the end of the tax year. Also depending on your type of employment you may be able to claim flat rate expenses.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/flat-rate-expenses.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

Hi, i wonder if someone knows. I used to have orthodontic treatment, as part of that i had surgery that was covered by insuramce, althought my visits to surgeon were in private clinic ( i kept the receipts). Can i claim tax relief on those visits?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pablop wrote: »
    Hi, i wonder if someone knows. I used to have orthodontic treatment, as part of that i had surgery that was covered by insuramce, althought my visits to surgeon were in private clinic ( i kept the receipts). Can i claim tax relief on those visits?
    Interested in this aswell, I went to submit a P21 balancing stement like I usually do and it told me not to use PAYE anytime for 2017, then the page it redirected me to had nowhere to put my rent, dental expenses etc, nothing really. What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

pablop wrote: »

Revenue lists what you can claim.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html

Visits to dentist, consultant and doctors qualify. Non-routine dental treatments should be too, except extractions, etc.. see link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Thargor wrote: »
    Interested in this aswell, I went to submit a P21 balancing stement like I usually do and it told me not to use PAYE anytime for 2017, then the page it redirected me to had nowhere to put my rent, dental expenses etc, nothing really. What do I do?

Do you mean for 2016? You can't claim medical til end of year with the med1 or using online forms. The online form is not p21, that's what you request from them once you've declared all your income, tax etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vicadd

Thargor wrote: »

You choose the link for 2013-2016 to do health expenses and p21 for 2016. You cannot do 2017 health expenses until 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 pablop

Gatica wrote: »
    Revenue lists what you can claim.
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it6.html

Visits to dentist, consultant and doctors qualify. Non-routine dental treatments should be too, except extractions, etc.. see link.

Thanks, its just doesnt specify which consultants exactly - which profesion, i know can claim visit to gp. I already claimed ortodontic treatment before wity med 1 and 2. I suppose visit to surgeon qualify as it is not on the list of treatments that dont. Maybe ill check with revenue just to be sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Apologies if this has been covered, but when are the credits for 2017 paid? I'm entitled to the home carers credit as my wife stays at home to look after our kids. I checked online and its been applied for and claimed, just wondering when it gets paid to me. In the past its been paid into my bank account as soon as I claim it.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been covered, but when are the credits for 2017 paid? I'm entitled to the home carers credit as my wife stays at home to look after our kids. I checked online and its been applied for and claimed, just wondering when it gets paid to me. In the past its been paid into my bank account as soon as I claim it.

2017 is an active tax year. Tax credits aren't money. They are part of the tax system that reduce the tax you would normally pay. During an active tax year an additional credit such as the home carers credit is added to your standard credits which will reduce the tax you pay through out the year.
    Translation = it will mean you pay less tax in 2017. It's not a refund in your bank account from revenue, rather your employer deducts less tax from your wages.

If it was for a prior tax year, then yes, refunds would be paid to your account by Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

2017 is an active tax year. Tax credits aren't money. They are part of the tax system that reduce the tax you would normally pay. During an active tax year an additional credit such as the home carers credit is added to your standard credits which will reduce the tax you pay through out the year.
    Translation = it will mean you pay less tax in 2017. It's not a refund in your bank account from revenue, rather your employer deducts less tax from your wages.

If it was for a prior tax year, then yes, refunds would be paid to your account by Revenue.

Thanks, that was pretty much what I thought. Havent really noticed an increase in my take home pay for January, will keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Not sure if anyone can help, but ya never know...

I've previously used the PAYE Anytime service and it's been quick and easy to use. During last year I had to make a tax payment for CAT so I had to register for ROS (which is a ridiculously complex system). Now, I recently used the PAYE anytime app on my phone (the app is a really old one) to claim tax back on a medical expense.
    Yesterday I got a notification e:mail to tell me I had correspondence from Revenue and I should check my account. I tried to access through myAccount (PAYE Anytime) but it's telling me I can't register for it/use it cause I'm registered for ROS so I should log into ROS. I've tried logging in to ROS but I can't find my digital certificate so can't log in. According to the Revenue site and the letter I got during the ROS registration process I need to re-register for ROS (which I really don't want to do as it's way too hard to follow). Also, I don't really know how to re-register as it isn't letting me reregister under CAT and if I select PAYE-Emp it's telling me that my PPS number isn't valid for the tax type selected....???
    If I'm not technically currently registered with ROS at the moment, is there no way to revert to using the PAYE Anytime system??

I really don't understand why the ROS system has to be soooo complicated. I guess there's mostly tax professionals using it so they probably know what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herstory

My Australian boyfriend has been working here almost 6 years, and is now advised to leave the country because his visa application was not approved. It is yet unclear why this is but I wonder should he look to have tax refunded him for the tax he has paid should he truly be obliged to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Hey guys I handed in my P45 to my new employers from my previous ones so that should automatically once they register to carry my tax credits over correct? Or do I do it online or ring the revenue to do it. I am now in week 3 of emergency tax and it sucks for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Herstory

If you have the opportunity visit the tax office, they can sort it out for you fairly lively, if not you'll have to wait until they get around to it. You can email them too if you know your Pps number. Good luck Jesus Jones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭jesusjones

Thanks

Advertisement