Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to register online and claim levy/tax credits/ refunds : Now Includes Forms

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

I got a form from revenue in 2012 to fill in and return regarding tax but I had no interest in it as I knew I never overpaid any tax.

In 2013 I paid a lot of emergency tax so since January 2014 I've been trying to claim it back. They are incredibly slow at what they do and lazy as I've had to request a balancing on three different occasions.

The last phone call I made a guy told me that it is pending for 2013 until I send back the 2012 form.

Does this make sense? I thought every year is separate from on another?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Yeah

They randomly send out forms to some people -- which need to be submitted - just an audit check

they wont refund 2013 until you complete the form 12 for 2012 .... should be straightforward though

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

The system seems incredibly stupid. They ask me questions about how much I earned over a year ago when they clearly can check that on their system.

they are checking to see if you have undeclared rental or self employed income ; share options Capital gains etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They're obliged to give you a chance to declare what you earn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 cc12313

When you're claiming on Med 1 it only puts down a space for one year. Does this mean I will have to fill out 3 different forms for dental claims that happened on different years?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

cc12313 wrote: »
    When you're claiming on Med 1 it only puts down a space for one year. Does this mean I will have to fill out 3 different forms for dental claims that happened on different years?

Yes. Also only certain dental claims are allowed - ie non-routine work only. MED2 forms should be supplied by dentist and used to claim for allowable expenses

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cc12313

I have the med 2 forms but I've been told to keep them as receipts until I am asked for them. Would I be entitled to getting the full price back for root canal because I know you only get 20% back on crowns and braces.

20% only assuming you have tax paid to begin with . Easier to do it online using payeanytime

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭chrisguy116

Hi just wondering can anyone help me !

I'm a first timer using PAYEanytime .. I'm claiming for tuition fees I've paid in '11 & '12 .. Using the online form I've submitted everything .. I can now see in 2012 (done both for this year instead of 1 in '11 & 1 in '12) that a relief of €3989 is "claimed.not editable online" .. Have I to do anything else??

I've asked for two P21's but both this far haven't included the relief .. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

I recently left my job, according to my last payslip I've been taxed for 42 weeks (PAYE) this year, would I be entitled to a tax refund? As in, have I been taxed at a rate that assumed 52 weeks? And am I correct in thinking that I can't just register for PAYE Anytime and apply for a refund there?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

T83 wrote: »
    I recently left my job, according to my last payslip I've been taxed for 42 weeks (PAYE) this year, would I be entitled to a tax refund? As in, have I been taxed at a rate that assumed 52 weeks? And am I correct in thinking that I can't just register for PAYE Anytime and apply for a refund there?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

No. Paye anytime can't be used to issue current tax year refunds. You will need to submitt a form p50 with your p45 to your local tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

I'm a PAYE worker. I got hit for a bill of €810 because I was in receipt of a carer's tax allowance. I've never cared for anyone and from what I read online the carer's allowance is means tested and I definitely haven't gone through the process of being means tested. Has this happened anyone else? Revenue grind my gears when you owe them money. My tax last year was obviously down €810 but that's €810 over 52 weeks and now I owe them a lump sum of €810.

Write to them and ask to have it collected by reducing your tax credits for 2015..that'll read it over the full year

I'm a PAYE worker. I got hit for a bill of €810 because I was in receipt of a carer's tax allowance. I've never cared for anyone and from what I read online the carer's allowance is means tested and I definitely haven't gone through the process of being means tested. Has this happened anyone else? Revenue grind my gears when you owe them money. My tax last year was obviously down €810 but that's €810 over 52 weeks and now I owe them a lump sum of €810.

Its not a carer's allowance you received, it was the home carer's tax credit. If it was claimed or granted incorrectly you will owe the amount claimed back. You can request that it be repaid back over the next two years by reducing your normal tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

What're you on about, sure you can pay it back by having next year's tax credits reduced by the €810 and repay it over 52 weeks. Does that ungrind your gears?

And the only way you can have got that tax credit is by asking for it to begin with - you can't blame Revenue if your circumstances changed and you never cancelled your claim for the credit.

What're you on about, sure you can pay it back by having next year's tax credits reduced by the €810 and repay it over 52 weeks. Does that ungrind your gears?

And the only way you can have got that tax credit is by asking for it to begin with - you can't blame Revenue if your circumstances changed and you never cancelled your claim for the credit.

The person I've been dealing with at Revenue said it had to be paid up front, which I've done.

I have never even looked at a P60, never mind requested a carer's allowance for someone I've never cared for.

The person I've been dealing with at Revenue said it had to be paid up front, which I've done.

I have never even looked at a P60, never mind requested a carer's allowance for someone I've never cared for.

IT IS NOT A CARER'S ALLOWANCE.

It's a tax credit for people who are parents and aren't working (or earning less than ~5k). I.e. to benefit single income families.

Revenue will have a record of who / how / when you got the tax credit to begin with.

I should add, this isn't the first time something has happened with my tax. A few years ago I got a letter from Revenue stating something along the lines that my business was going to be audited due to irregularities. I ignored it because, mainly, I've never owned a business. It took about 3 hours in total on the phone back then to prove to Revenue that I don't own a business.

Take it easy there, love? It says Carer's allowance on my tax credits ok, so it's a carer's allowance.

I don't have kids. I'm not married. OK?

• Advertisement

Take it easy there, love? It says Carer's allowance on my tax credits ok, so it's a carer's allowance as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think you understand what it is. It's not an allowance for you caring for someone. It's an additional tax credit available to married couples where they are jointly assessed for tax purposes and only one spouse has income. The other spouse cares for the couples children. Link below if you want further info.
    It is unusual that you had to pay it all upfront though.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it66.html

Take it easy there, love? It says Carer's allowance on my tax credits ok, so it's a carer's allowance as far as I'm concerned.

So why did you pay the €810? Are you sure you owe it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

The 1st link doesn't work for me. Can someone provide the proper link for registering for ROS? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

How long does it take to get the PIN in the post ?, I thought seeing as they asked for my Email address they would Email it to me, did it on Tuesday night and still nothing.

J0hnick wrote: »
    How long does it take to get the PIN in the post ?, I thought seeing as they asked for my Email address they would Email it to me, did it on Tuesday night and still nothing.

Its 5 working days so long as all your details match the records Revenue check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've been self employed for the last two and a half years. (LTD company) Do you guys or gals reckon I'd be entitled to anything back please?
    I rent my home if that helps?
    Thank you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

I've been self employed for the last two and a half years. (LTD company) Do you guys or gals reckon I'd be entitled to anything back please?
    I rent my home if that helps?
    Thank you in advance.

Not enough information to give an answer. If you have a limited company, I presume you have an accountant who files your tax return each year? If so, you should be asking him/her.

When you say that you rent your home, do you mean that you rent it out to other people and receive rent from them or do you rent it from someone else. Rent relief ceased for on 7th December 2010 but if you were renting on that date you could claim the rent tax credit up to 2017 provided you continue renting. After 2017, there will be no rent relief.

Other factors which would affect the amount of tax you pay are as follows:
    1. Do you have any other income
    2. Are you married? Does your spouse have any income? Are you jointly assessed?
    3. Do you have children? Do you/your spouse mind them full time? Do you pay college fees for them?
    4. Have you incurred medical expenses which were not reimbursed in the past four years?

Drop me a PM if you have any queries on the above and I can try help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I am only now discovering that I have been overpaying tax since I began teaching over 10 years ago (am so clueless, AAM website were exasperated by my situation). Hopefully, someone can help me here.
    I signed up for PAYE Anytime a month ago, got my pin and balancing statements.
    They showed an overpayment of tax for the last 4 years (I was not getting flat rate expenses).
    This was about 3 weeks ago but I have not got tax back for 2010-2013 years (My most recent salary reflected the updated credits for this year)
    Do I need to submit a form to get tax refund 2010-2013?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

honeybear wrote: »
    I am only now discovering that I have been overpaying tax since I began teaching over 10 years ago (am so clueless, AAM website were exasperated by my situation). Hopefully, someone can help me here.
    I signed up for PAYE Anytime a month ago, got my pin and balancing statements.
    They showed an overpayment of tax for the last 4 years (I was not getting flat rate expenses).
    This was about 3 weeks ago but I have not got tax back for 2010-2013 years (My most recent salary reflected the updated credits for this year)
    Do I need to submit a form to get tax refund 2010-2013?

Thanks

Revenue are running way behind when it comes to refunds. They are trying to get through as many as possible before Xmas but the last payment run is Monday 15th Dec. The next payment run will be in the new year.

I suppose its no harm giving them a call to see when the payment will be processed but if you have already done the balancing statement, there is not much else you can do to hurry it up.

Advertisement