Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spec me a server

• 08-05-2009 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Work have asked me to spec a server. The purpose of the server is to act as a test bed so that we can develop solutions for clients problems and test them in house before implementing them on the clients server. I'm presuming that it'll be a SQL server as a lot of the work we do involves developing databases. However some people want to trial sharepoint and do other things with it so i'm gathering its purpose will change over its time. Price isn't a huge issue however we'll have to justify the cost against its purpose.

I work for a management consulting firm so the solutions won't be extremely tasking. Also this is a really stupid question but can one server serve multiple purposes as in run sql server and sharepoint at the same time? I think i nearly anwered my question typing that but I need clarification.

Regards,

Req

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

If the server is to act as a test bed and not service actual users.. then redundancy is not important.

So my advice is to buy a cheap server with a quad core a single big hard disk and lots of RAM.. at least 8GB, 16GB if you can stretch.

Then choose a virtualisation technology VMware or Microsoft hyperV in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

zod wrote: »
    If the server is to act as a test bed and not service actual users.. then redundancy is not important.

So my advice is to buy a cheap server with a quad core a single big hard disk and lots of RAM.. at least 8GB, 16GB if you can stretch.

Then choose a virtualisation technology VMware or Microsoft hyperV in 2008

Perfect that's what I was thinking, I'll try to spec something out and will repost with spec asap

Advertisement