Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police license plate scanner

Options
  • 08-05-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

I heard a few day's ago that the guards in Athlone have a license plate scanner mounted in there cars anyone know anything about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I heard a few day's ago that the guards in Athlone have a license plate scanner mounted in there cars anyone know anything about this ?

Why? Worried you will get caught with no tax lol

I saw a crazy looking Garda van a few weeks ago with arials and dishs on the roof, was parked on the Roscommon On ramp across from Ganlys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

there's a 08-D mondeo (new shape) in mullingar with the scanner. you can clearly see a little black box type thing on the boot lid which must be a camera. mate got pulled by it a few weeks ago for no tax (he was coming from the cop-shop to get the off the road form signed) and got done for non display of tax.

so maybe there's one on the way to athlone? what im saying is yes, its not bull**** that they're using technology these days. (about time the slow fookers)

Athlone Garda have a noce new car, maybe 2 I think.. So could be on one of them...

Next thing you know they will have a camera crew following them around and have a show on tv call Mid Cops!

Nah, just kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 roadrash666

yes they do have it.
    its known as ANPR active number plate recognition and it tells the guards if you have tax, insurance, NCT and who the vehicle is registered to however it only lerts them to illegal vehicles. been ib the uk for years but only brought into ireland in the last while. savage system seen it in opperation an yes it does work and is 99% acurate on readin the reg's of cars

I can see it now... Half the vehicles in Athlone with deliberate filthy reg plates.
    Not that its hard to get your car dirty with all the road works going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I can see it now... Half the vehicles in Athlone with deliberate filthy reg plates.
    Not that its hard to get your car dirty with all the road works going on

As far as I know they can pull you if your number plates aren't clearly visible.

But then again I've never actually seen them enforcing it and I'm not sure what the punishment is..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Athlone Garda have a noce new car, maybe 2 I think.. So could be on one of them...

Next thing you know they will have a camera crew following them around and have a show on tv call Mid Cops!

Nah, just kidding.

Funny you should say that there's a new TV show called traffic blues on rte :rolleyes:

Funny you should say that there's a new TV show called traffic blues on rte :rolleyes:

There goes RTE copying the UK tv stations again.

Do you remember irelands take on big brother? The Box! That show really let down irish television.

Traffic blues is pretty good, check it out for your self .

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1049650

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 pip-irl

Why? Worried you will get caught with no tax lol

I saw a crazy looking Garda van a few weeks ago with arials and dishs on the roof, was parked on the Roscommon On ramp across from Ganlys.

the garda dont need all the aerials now the have a special on that sits under the car or in the back window depending on where they fit it. They also have the new cameras and computers in all there cars to see for tax and insuance and anythign else they want.

• Advertisement

yes they do have it.
    its known as ANPR active number plate recognition and it tells the guards if you have tax, insurance, NCT and who the vehicle is registered to however it only lerts them to illegal vehicles. been ib the uk for years but only brought into ireland in the last while. savage system seen it in opperation an yes it does work and is 99% acurate on readin the reg's of cars

Chances are, that when used in certain areas, it goes off so often that they ignore it as it overloads them. :pac:

Chances are, that when used in certain areas, it goes off so often that they ignore it as it overloads them. :pac:

Yeah if they drove down to blackburry lane the box would explode

Advertisement