Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Looking F1 Car

• 08-05-2009 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

niko-rosberg.jpg

For me it has to be nicos williams, with his blue tinted visor I have to say it looks pretty damn cool

Reminds me of the great man...
    ASP0FI23.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

It's a pity about the new wings on this years cars, especially the front snow plow, because without all the aero sticky up bits, and with the slick tyres back, 2009 F1 cars could have looked really cool.

I agree with you on the Williams, it's about the best of them, possibly followed by the Brawn. Williams have painted the outer part of the front wing endplates black which is a nice touch. The front wings doesn't look quite as awful.

Speaking of awful, I think BMW deserves the wooden spoon for this years ugliest car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

smooch71 wrote: »
    Speaking of awful, I think BMW deserves the wooden spoon for this years ugliest car.

That for me would be Renault don't get me wrong the BMW is bad but the Renault is in a different league of horrificness*

*i may have made this word up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was just thinking today that they should all paint the part of the front wing directly in front of the tyre black so that it only looks as wide as last years wing. Williams have done that to a degree.

I think the brawn is hideous specially the yellow wheel covers.

Toyota, Williams, and the red bulls look good. Renault isnt nice though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

The best ever was the Jordan 191. Will never be beaten for style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

I think the Brawn, Red Bull and Williams cars are the most beautiful on the 2009 grid but they are all let down by their liveries; particularly the Brawn!

I'd love if Williams ran their testing livery; a really deep dark blue all over with all sponsors logos in white; a la Arrows 1998.

• Advertisement

Grim. wrote: »
    That for me would be Renault don't get me wrong the BMW is bad but the Renault is in a different league of horrificness*

*i may have made this word up

It's good word..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Jordan 191 was the best ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I always thought the John Barnard designed 1998 Arrows was the most beautiful car (and not just because of the livery either). Sadly, it had a home-made engine and was woefully slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

My favourite car probably still is the Williams FW18 from 1996. I especially loved the Rothmans paint job.

As for 2009, I think Red Bull and Brawn have the nicest shaped cars. I'm not mad fond of the Brawn paint job though.

The front wings do look pretty bad I have to admit. I hope they change the regulations to make them a bit smaller and maybe the rear wings wider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

This is the most beautiful F1 car ever - Jim Clark's Lotus 49

2e0qvds.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I've always had a soft spot for this.

tyrrellp34.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

kaizersoze wrote: »
    I've always had a soft spot for this.

tyrrellp34.jpg

Great car for sure but isn't that a photo of a small model of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,954 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

2342337870_92db3b20ce_o.jpg
    Something about this car that does it for me,think its the color,it was a very deep red almost wine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

1956Maserati250FMain.jpg?t=1243428093

Maserati 250F

Gintonious wrote: »
    Something about this car that does it for me,think its the color,it was a very deep red almost wine

That was Ferrari's original colour as far as I know, they changed to bright red in 1997 to coincide with Marlboro becoming their title sponsor (having ditched McLaren).

There was quite a bit of controversy about it at the time.

They reverted back to this is 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Brabham BT55 "lowline" from 1986. The car was a poor performer and some of this was due to problems caused by the low body. Also, Elio DeAngelis was killed in a BT55 although I don't think the car was a factor in his death
    705de_angelis_86_BT55.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Brabham BT55 "lowline" from 1986. The car was a poor performer and some of this was due to problems caused by the low body. Also, Elio DeAngelis was killed in a BT55 although I don't think the car was a factor in his death
    705de_angelis_86_BT55.jpg

Didn't the wing come off?

Great car for sure but isn't that a photo of a small model of it?

Tis indeed a model. At 1am I wasn't in the mood for searching.:pac:
    Here ya go.....
    800px-TyrrellP34ScheckterDepaillerExhSinsheim.JPG
    800px-Tyrrell_P34_Detail_Cockpit.JPG
    ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

Tis indeed a model. At 1am I wasn't in the mood for searching.:pac:
    Here ya go.....
    800px-TyrrellP34ScheckterDepaillerExhSinsheim.JPG
    800px-Tyrrell_P34_Detail_Cockpit.JPG
    ScheckterJody1976-07-31Tyrrell-FordP34.jpg

Did you just google that? I was looking for pictures of it before and couldn't find any. Wonder where that first one is, probably Bernie's little collection.

amacachi wrote: »
    Did you just google that? I was looking for pictures of it before and couldn't find any. Wonder where that first one is, probably Bernie's little collection.

Pulled those of Wikipedia. The first 2 look like they're on display in a cinema.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34

• Advertisement

Sorry if I'm going off-topic now but hasn't the 6-wheel setup been made illegal now?
    How class would it have been to be around the pits in the 70s and 80s. :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Thanks for the pictures of the Tyrrell.

Here's another 6-wheeler that not so many people know about:
    The March 2-4-0
    240march8.jpg
    That's Max Mosley standing at the back with the big M on his jumper.

Pretty ugly car really but lots of info here:
    http://www.geocities.com/simontmallett/240march1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bazzawa

has to be the 191 for me.

Here's a pic of de cesaris driving it - not sure where, looks like it could be eau rouge, spa (remember schumacher's famous F1 debut..!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That was the cause of the majority of crashes in the 70`s. Thanks god the high wings were banned eventually.

I presume by 'high wings' you mean the ones held about 4 feet off the car by thin aluminium struts? They were around for a very short time and were banned in 1968 after a number of high profile accidents such as Graham Hill's at Montjuich park. From then on wings were quite similar to modern day ones and are attached directly to the car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

IanCurtis wrote: »
    This is the most beautiful F1 car ever - Jim Clark's Lotus 49

2e0qvds.jpg

For me the Lotus 49 will always stand out as the best looking F1 car ever, without a shadow of a doubt. Like all lotus's at the time it was fragile but very fast. Whenever i think of a racing car from the 1960's i picture the 49 with Jim Clark at the wheel. Gorgeous machine.

From the 09 cars i think the Red Bull stands head and shoulders above everyone else in the looks department. fairly quick too, which is nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

amacachi wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm going off-topic now but hasn't the 6-wheel setup been made illegal now?
    How class would it have been to be around the pits in the 70s and 80s. :D :P

Yup:

12.2 Number of wheels : The number of wheels is fixed at four.

Along with more than two wheel steering:

10.4.1 Any steering system which permits the re-alignment of more than two wheels is not permitted.

And more than two wheel drive:

9.1 Transmission types : No transmission system may permit more than two wheels to be driven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Schumacher1

bazzawa wrote: »
    has to be the 191 for me.

Here's a pic of de cesaris driving it - not sure where, looks like it could be eau rouge, spa (remember schumacher's famous F1 debut..!)

Lovely car, G force would have been mental in that thing. No electrics and slicks, Awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bazzawa

yeah, big g alright. In fairness things were beginning to get a bit out of hand in the early 90's, but I loved that era. I have a 1/18 model of the 191, and looking at the size of the rear diffuser makes you laugh! No plank to regulate the ride height must have meant they went through floors and skid plates like no ones business! most photos taken at high speed show tonnes of sparkes...also check out the 3 planes on the rear wing.

090211_191.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Pulled those of Wikipedia. The first 2 look like they're on display in a cinema.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrrell_P34
    It looks a bit like the technology museum in Sindshiem, near Karlsruhe...

That P32 will always stick in my memory! What a car...

JPS72 however... Always loved this car.

1973-fittipaldi-lotus-72e-ra.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭Creeping-Death

THE NOSE ART!!!

Advertisement