Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballooning

Options
  • 08-05-2009 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, can anyone advise how I go about taking a balloon flight in the Waterford/Kilkenny area? Some idea of cost would be useful.

Thanks, Cathal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hi Cathal,

There aren't really any companies in Waterford that do the commercial flights. Commercial flying and regular balloon flying have 2 different licences.

Maybe do a google search for balloon flights in Ireland and see how you get on. Remember, we were blessed lucky with the weather we got in the Irish championships last year, so its far from unusual to turn up hoping to fly and end up having the flight cancelled. The weather needs to be of a specific quality in terms of wind etc for the flight to go ahead.

Sorry thats not as positive as you were looking for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭depaor

I believe if you join the Waterford Ballooning Club you will get a flight in the next avaliable slot...

http://www.waterfordballooningclub.com/

depaor wrote: »
    I believe if you join the Waterford Ballooning Club you will get a flight in the next avaliable slot...

http://www.waterfordballooningclub.com/

Thats absolutely not true. The club is curtailed by all sorts of factors; weather, crew availability etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CathalOS

The website seems to refer to a Championships rather than to anything about the club. I'm a little confused, Trotter, are you saying that I couldn't fly with the club or that I cannot fly at the next slot? As an ex-microlight pilot, I am aware that a flight would be weather dependant. Unfortunately, I am work-based in the UK and only get home once every few months. Ideally, I would like to fly around the Cappoquin area.

Cathal.

Im not sure to be honest, I think there was a good few who joined the club who didnt fly because there's only one balloon and not enough weather. If you're looking to fly anytime soon, I'd recommend balloonflights.ie or balloons.ie or suchlike. The club has no "slots" as such.

The website is still set to the championships because they were here last year and as far as I know, it'll be updated soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 CathalOS

OK thanks. I checked the websites you suggested but they don't fly where I want to! Can I get to fly at the Championships, if they are in the area again?

Cathal.

If its confirmed that they'll be in Waterford again (I'll check the latest on this today) there won't be flights for the public for sale as far as I know.

Hi all,

Just to confirm that the balloons will be back in September this year. I have no specifics yet, but it'll be September again. Just to answer a few Q's before they pop up;

There won't be flights for sale at the event
      The championships website isnt updated yet so I'll let you all know when it is
      Theres no timetable of events / take off areas yet
      No I cant steer them over your Aunty's house because she's maad to see one up close :D
      Theres no decision on whether there'll be a night glow again or not
      The event polo shirts will absolutely
    not be orange.

Get the novena books, rosary beads, weather chimes etc out.. because I'll be amazed if we get the weather we got last year this time!

Maybe the mods might put a link into the Waterford County forum for me? There's likely to be a few launches from County Waterford again this year, weather permitting.

Slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭bumpydog

Hi Cathal,

Irrespective of weather, crew limitations etc it is *illegal* to fly paying passengers under the guise of club membership. In order to pay for a flight in any aircraft (which a balloon is) this can only be achieved in one of two ways - either by flying with one of the two commercial AOC holders or by flying with a club who are an IAA-approved Registered Training Facility and then be flown by a qualified instructor. Only one such facility exists in Ireland and that is at Trim Flying Club and William Treacy is their instructor. The UK CAA and the IAA are starting to clamp down heavily on commercial activities by unqualified organisations across all aviation disciplines. Be careful when making your choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭twinkle77

I have booked a flight with http://www.balloons.ie/ and am going out of Kilkenny next month!! WOOHOO :D cant wait!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement