Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks in ceiling from walking in attic

Options
  • 08-05-2009 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭

Does walking on the joists in an attic cause cracking in the ceiling below. I always thought it was OK to walk in an attic as long as you were careful to only step on the joists - but having been in the attic a few times recently I see new cracks appearing in the celing. BTW the joists are 16 inches apart.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

It really depends on the size/depth of the joists
    mine are only 3 or 4 inch joists - new houses are 9" I think.

With mine - you have to be careful as they will not support too much weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Thanks, I think the joists are only 4 inches high. As well as the ceiling cracks, there are some small circular pieces that have fallen off the ceiling.

I only weigh 12.5 stone and haven't been stomping around in the attic :)

Will be avoiding walking up there from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

If you ever think of converting attic make sure the joists are upgraded to 9" - no need to take out the smaller ones but they wouldnt support a floor.

The small round holes are most likely plaster pop-outs where the nails are holding the plasterboard slab with, they pop the plaster off with the extra weight up there. A bit of fillers, sanding and a spot of paint and it'll be like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

I floor attics quite a bit, once it is floored, when u walk around your weight is spread over several joists, might stop the cracks

Advertisement