Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Competition

• 08-05-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭

I got an email, from the photography club I'm in and I decided to check out the website the prize isn't to shabby - 3 night break in the Clarion Hotel, Cork for two people. (nice weekend away)

here's the details IWEA

I know it's not everyones cup of tea but it's some thing to think about over the next few weeks the closing date is the 31 May '09

Good Luck to all who enter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

• In submitting an image, the author relinquishes all claims to ownership and copyright on that image and it becomes the property of the IWEA. The submitted image may be re-published and re-used infinatley and indefinatley by the IWEA to serve any purpose of it's activities.

Dear God!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,585 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I've never entered a competition before and wouldn't mind trying. I've read over the link but I always think I'm missing something really important.
    Would there be more chance winning if your photo's wind related?
    Is that how these thigymejigs work?
    Does anyone know?

Or do you just go a rummage about from past files for a good snap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Valentia wrote: »
    [/LIST]

Dear God!!

Just read that myself,Seems like they get alot of free images all for a 3 night hotel deal,Terrible competition IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

that seems to be the running theme with alot of competitions I've seen lately it's still competition and if you're not in you can't win these are recessionary times and a weekend away is still a weekend away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

trishw78 wrote: »
    that seems to be the running theme with alot of competitions I've seen lately it's still competition and if you're not in you can't win these are recessionary times and a weekend away is still a weekend away.

And then when you get back your photo could pop up anywhere,On huge posters,Bill boards,websites without even mentioning you...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭gary82

humberklog wrote: »
    I've never entered a competition before and wouldn't mind trying. I've read over the link but I always think I'm missing something really important.
    Is that how these thigymejigs work?
    Does anyone know?

Or do you just go a rummage about from past files for a good snap?

+1! They don't give any theme or direction for this!

I'd say they're just copying the Global Wind Day Photo Contest though, and on that site they say...
    The challenge was to show the technology as it has never been seen before. New associations with colours and human beings, nature and modernity, landscapes and mechanics, or a mixture of all these ideas were the trends explored.

trishw78 wrote: »

I'd prefer to stick to my principles, recession or not. It is the first competition I have seen with such a condition (maybe the Go Ireland one was similar?). All others have copyright remaining with the photographer but allowing the company use the shot when they want. This way the photographer cannot use the shot again without their permission.

Also note that if you do not win they still now own YOUR photograph!! FFS!!!

I'd rather collect the Super-Valu stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

I was about to type the same Rick911.

As a competition, I think it was Animal Rights wind sweeped beech would be a .....Blow in? :-)

Also note that if you do not win they still now own YOUR photograph!! FFS!!!

Oh... I didn't even pick up on that when I saw it first!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

[/LIST]

Dear God!!

That's exactly when I stopped thinking I'll give it a try. And the fact that there are not many windmills in Ireland.

@ humberklog here you can see the entries so far and vote.

• Advertisement

xia wrote: »

I only see one photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭DutchGuy

Since it's a Wind Energy Photo Competition I'd say that's a safe bet :pac:
    In submitting an image, the author relinquishes all claims to ownership and copyright on that image and it becomes the property of the IWEA. The submitted image may be re-published and re-used infinatley and indefinatley by the IWEA to serve any purpose of it's activities.
    Does this mean that your photo could be used in adverts with poor spelling...

I only see one photo?

If you vote or skip you get to the next...so difficult decision as there are already 324 pics ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am also suspicious of these competitions which take ownership of your images.

Under those conditions you actually lose the copyright of your image, even if you don't win. In theory they could then take action against you if you use that image again as they are then the copyright owners.

The only prize I won was a Macbook. I still own the copyright of the image, though the South Dublin Libraries have permission to use that image & it is stored in their archive. I was happy with those conditions (and with the Prize too)

The 1st Prize is 3 nights in Cork.

The 2nd Prize is 6 nights in Cork!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

Very cheeky competition, all their future free stock images for a pretty bad prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

That's exactly when I stopped thinking I'll give it a try. And the fact that there are not many windmills in Ireland.

There are plenty of turbines in the country:
    http://www.iwea.com/index.cfm/page/_windenergy_onshore
    cabinsail wrote:
    The 1st Prize is 3 nights in Cork.

The 2nd Prize is 6 nights in Cork!!!

Booooo!!!!
    (Cork economic migrant in Dublin)

I wouldn't have a problem with copyright issues etc. Sure they're only clogging up a drawer and sure if someone or entity gets a bit of use out of them sure that's grand by me. I'd be only delighted to see a photo of mine being pimped about...it'd be quite a thrill.

However looking at the present entries (thanks Xia) I'd rather glue my eyelids together than schlepp up a breezy hill to capture fripping windmills.
    I'm considering the mechanics of trying to photograph myself lighting a fart.

Nisio wrote: »
    http://www.iwea.com/index.cfm/page/_windenergy_onshore

Very proud of Donegal's 20 windfarms! Just saw two new ones when I was up home last week. Can't understand why other counties don't encourage them too. Anyway wrong forum... :rolleyes:

Nisio wrote: »

Ok. I should have been more precise. But as I live in Co. Dublin I am right in saying there are not many around me ;) And honestly I am always surprised when I see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Had a great one - saw a competition a while back being run and it had similar conditions of ownership of the image and while I would have liked to have a crack at it, I thought "Oh No, I wouldn't lower my standards, etc..., etc...". Then forgot about it.

Next thing, the young lad has an assignment for Art class and the lazy clown left it til the night before to do anything about it. It was to take a photograph for a competition. (ok, so you know where its going). The evening was dreadful rain / murky / etc.. and off we went with rain coats, umbrella's (i kid you not) and under a bit of time pressure as he had to be back within 30 minutes for sport.

I shot with the wife's P&S and gave him my dSLR. The raw results were yeuch but representative of the yeuchy night that we'd had. A little bit of processing later, where I gave him a crash course on how to do a b/w conversion and how to clone a church out of an image and it was ready - looked reasonably decent too.

I thought no more of it. Homework finished. He submitted it and forgot about it. Low and behold a letter from the organisation arrived in the post addressed to my son (same name as myself) and I had to laugh when I read it.

The competition for his Art assignment was the same one I had looked at and decided not to lower my standards by entering. Turns out that he won a prize in the competition and has to attend an awards ceremony next week.

So much for having standards. All he's interested in now is what the prizes are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Ok. I should have been more precise. But as I live in Co. Dublin I am right in saying there are not many around me ;) And honestly I am always surprised when I see one.

There are three turbines in an industrial estate on the north side, can't remember the address though, somewhere malahide direction ;)

But they are not in the map :confused: And I live South County ;) Anyhow. As I don't plan to take part in the competition...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

You all make a good case against entering, but surely if every decent photographer knows these points too, we could all enter pictures we don't really think much of... yknow, chance yer arm with a half decent picture and hope to get the weekend outta it.

I know Im gonna throw some ramshackled picture in just for the sake of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Similar T&C with Top's competition
    4.Ownership in such interviews, events and recordings and the copyright and all moral and intellectual property rights in them shall vest absolutely in the Promoter who may exploit them entirely as the Promoter sees fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I love the mis-spelling. I wonder does that affect the contractual clause? If you don't win they get a 500 x 700 pixel image for keeps, if you do they get a large format one.

Does seem like either a) an image harvesting process or (in my opinion more likely) b) an extremely lazy way of ensuring no problems in the future with regard to images (kinda like cracking a walnut with a nuclear weapon).

I think the important thing is that people are aware of the terms & conditions - after that it's their choice. Keep in mind though that most other competitions only get's the owner's sub-licensing agreement and only in relation to that particular competition. This T&C is way beyond what others require.

Having said that - I don't really care if they harvest my photo - it's only a 500 x 700 if I don't win (suitable for website use only) and I wasn't intending to publish it anyway. Not that the prize is fantastic or anything ;)

Oh and as a tip for photographers who may be concerned about losing copyright - crop your photo ever so slightly before submission - you have created a new original work for entry (and your old original copy's copyright will still belong to you :D ) When there's a will there's a way (even if it's a technical legal solution :) )

They say that the largest side has to be 3000 pixels? Well good thing that even a 6mp photo has 3008 pixels - crop out the 8 pixels and if your image becomes famous they can hold onto the 3000 pixel image and you'll keep your 3008 pixel image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Oh and as a tip for photographers who may be concerned about losing copyright - crop your photo ever so slightly before submission - you have created a new original work for entry (and your old original copy's copyright will still belong to you :D ) When there's a will there's a way (even if it's a technical legal solution :) )

I wonder has this ever been tested in court.

Simplicius wrote: »
    I wonder has this ever been tested in court.

As our law professor told us - "the law is 90% based on common sense" (don't ask about the other 10% ;) )

By cropping your photo you have effectively created two separate works of art (you have exercised creative control and manipulated the image into a new one - albeit in this case 8 pixels less wide).

In actual court - I personally wouldn't rely 100% on my advice (not that anyone should rely on a law student's legal advice anyway - see signature) as the court could foreseeably say that the contractual clause's intention was clearly to get all the rights of that image and its related images. I'd relish a chance to argue it in court though:

a) what if I had taken a 2nd photo from an angle 1 degree off (or even taken a second consecutive photo e.g. dsc_1000 and dsc_1001 are effectively the same image) - these are separate images so why not a new angle of view being created by a crop?

b) we're the "little guys" - courts like little guys ;) - especially against unusual contractual clauses.

All of the above is a roundabout (legal? :P ) way of saying - I have no idea if it's been tested in court before or not.

Of course on the other side their lawyers would argue - if you agree to turn over copyright to a piece of work e.g. a book... could you then go and change one word and keep the rights to that "different" book? Common sense would dictate otherwise. It's a grey area (hence the need for us evil lawyers :pac: ) (oh and in this case I suspect the publisher/author contractual agreement probably covers a problem like the one I listed - I've never seen a book licensing agreement before).

Whew! That was a lot of unasked for opinions lol... I entered a picture anyway (could make for a good present for the parents).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Wouldn't even bother wasting my time trying to enter it. Even a weekend away in Cork is no incentive if they decide to shaft you left right and centre.

Ah nuts! I wanted to put this one in (only got it developed today) but when I went to put it into the compitition it all went wrong. Well it was confusing and I didn't know what I was doing and now my computer can't skip the pages that automatically open (or something like that). Fecking mare.
    3513394019_e37bc2e04f.jpg

• Advertisement

Just email your entry to:
    Please submit all entries to office@iwea.com with the subject line "IWEA PHOTO COMPETITION"

You need a date and location too. (they say the minimum sample size is 700px - I recommend only sending them a 700px wide image)

Right, well I didn't go via the link but just sent it to that address as an attachment from my yahoo.co.uk mail site. That should work?
    Changed my mind too and went for this one:
    EA3C890B849A42A3AFAE9F85B762C3F0-500.jpg

I guess it would - that's what I did - no email confirmation of receipt, though if they can't spell properly I wouldn't have expected them to have a confirmation procedure in place ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

It's clearly a competition aimed at the amateur not the semi pro or pro not everyone on this board would class themselves as such. While it is important as a photographer to know your rights, it's also important to have a bit of fun. Entering competitions is one way to have fun and get experience, and gain more confidence in your work.

Advertisement