Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporary small rain hut/canopy.

Options
  • 08-05-2009 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Hi guys wonder if you can give me a bit of advice.
    I need to set up some sort of temporary structure out the back to do some work on my motorbike. It really is just to keep the rain off so it doesn't need to be sturdy or permanent.

My idea so far is to have a rectangular frame (with or without slanted roof), throw over and tie down a large tarp. What to make the frame out of is my problem. I was thinking I could use plumbing pipe with some right angle bends with a right angle going verticly. I'm completely DIY innept so I've no idea how this would work.

Even something like this would work - however it's going on concrete so I've no way to secure the guy ropes.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Hi guys wonder if you can give me a bit of advice.
    I need to set up some sort of temporary structure out the back to do some work on my motorbike. It really is just to keep the rain off so it doesn't need to be sturdy or permanent.

My idea so far is to have a rectangular frame (with or without slanted roof), throw over and tie down a large tarp. What to make the frame out of is my problem. I was thinking I could use plumbing pipe with some right angle bends with a right angle going verticly. I'm completely DIY innept so I've no idea how this would work.

Even something like this would work - however it's going on concrete so I've no way to secure the guy ropes.

Thanks in advance!

You could make a frame using galvanized conduit pipe and elbows from an electricians providers. The pipe is thinner than normal water barrel and so lighter, and the elbows are secured with grub screws and don't have to be threaded. Maybe make two squares of conduit and then connect the tops with two more using tee fittings. Hold the frame down with a couple of sandbags on each bottom rung and cover with your tarp. Simple enough and easy to dismantle when finished with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think the DIY option could get quite expensive as those fittings aren't cheap. Why not buy a cheap gazebo and a plastic tarp, anchor the whole thing with some rope and bricks/ blocks tied to the ends and hey presto! At least the gazebo can be easily dismantled after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Cheers for the replies. I might just pick up that tent in argos. A gazebo would be too big. It needs to be roughly 1.5m by 2.2m at a guestimate. I could just use blocks to hold down the guy ropes I suppose, I just wasn't looking to spend so much.

Thanks again guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Howeh lad,

Scour the adverts, you may find a shed to take away for very little.
    I too have bikes and i highly recommend a shed to keep it dry, will help no end keeping it from deteriorating.

I knows you are on a budget and must act accordingly, will keep an eye open for you if a bargain appears, meantime good luck and do NOT use them bike covers for a long period they actually are worse than nothing at all

( also revisit Auf Wiedersehn pet, great and still funny!)

Advertisement