Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cabernet franc

Options
  • 08-05-2009 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

hello anyone know where I can get cabenet franc had one in a restaurant think it was cabernet franc merlot. I want to buy it retail. preferably inexpensive.

thank you
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Cabernet Franc is one of the classic Bordeaux grapes so lots of Bordeaux would have it as part of a blend at least. Not sure if any Bordeaux uses it exclusively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Hi NewGirl.

As BeerNut mentioned, Cab Franc is one of the Bordeaux grapes. They only really use it in Right Bank wines though, the simplest of which to find in a well-stocked off-licence is a wine labelled Saint Emilion or Saint Emilion Grand Cru. Expect to pay between €12-€20 for these. They can go much, much higher! They will invariably be blended with Merlot.

For a 100% CabFranc, try a Loire red. The label will often say Chinon or Bourgueil or Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil. These are lovely light wines, that can benefit from twenty minutes in the fridge before you drink them. These would also cost from mid teens to maybe low twenties but, as they are quite out-of-fashion, they are underpriced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

rediguana wrote: »
    Hi NewGirl.

As BeerNut mentioned,...

I think you're mixing up our beer afficionados :-D

I think you're mixing up our beer afficionados :-D

One beer guy is as good as the next :pac:

I won't edit my original post so that people know what the hell your post means.

Muchos gracias!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Me? Know the first thing about wine? I am insulted! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

rediguana wrote: »
    Hi NewGirl.

As BeerNut mentioned, Cab Franc is one of the Bordeaux grapes. They only really use it in Right Bank wines though, the simplest of which to find in a well-stocked off-licence is a wine labelled Saint Emilion or Saint Emilion Grand Cru. Expect to pay between €12-€20 for these. They can go much, much higher! They will invariably be blended with Merlot.

For a 100% CabFranc, try a Loire red. The label will often say Chinon or Bourgueil or Saint Nicolas de Bourgueil. These are lovely light wines, that can benefit from twenty minutes in the fridge before you drink them. These would also cost from mid teens to maybe low twenties but, as they are quite out-of-fashion, they are underpriced.

Ah, I didn't know that Bourgueil was Cabernet Franc.
    I generally like Bourgueil when a light inexpensive red is called for.
    I guess I'm a fan of Cab Franc and didn't know it.
    I would have thought that Saint Emilion was Merlot dominated?

Ah, I didn't know that Bourgueil was Cabernet Franc.
    I generally like Bourgueil when a light inexpensive red is called for.
    I guess I'm a fan of Cab Franc and didn't know it.
    I would have thought that Saint Emilion was Merlot dominated?

Yeah, Saint Emilion wines will usually be mostly Merlot, but the proportion of Cab-Franc used can be quite high, depending on the particular chateau. 60% of vines in the appellation are Merlot, and I would guess that pretty much all of the balance is Cab-Franc.

For 100% Cab Francs, hit the Loire. I'm pretty sure Loire reds can also contain Gamay, Pinot Noir and even Cabernet Sauvignon but, generally, they will be all Cab-Franc.

The old Frenchies don't make it simple, do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I picked up a gorgeous Chinon (100% Cab Franc) for €11.50 in Jymi wines in Charleville last week. Les Tenanceaux was the name of the wine, really nice stuff, lot of red fruits on the nose and palate, something similar to a Beaujolais - none of this heavy/complicated wine that you get with Bordeauxs.

Check out the website www.jymiwines.com

This wine boutique is an absolute gem, people living in Charleville and the surrounding areas along the Cork-Limerick border don't know how good they have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Hello all
    thanks for all the great replies, you've given me lots to look for. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

Australia and New Zealand have started experimenting with Cab Franc too. Australia more so with their habit of blending everything with shiraz. There will be a writeup about one of these interesting blends in this Saturday's Irish Times Magazine which will be worth a look at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

yep had a few chinnon's before cabernet franc a veryy nice grape,, really like the chinnon's - is a nice change for sure...but heck i like most wines anyway! :)

Advertisement