Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boxing off water tank in attic conversion

Options
  • 08-05-2009 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭

Having insulated the rafters in my attic I'm ready to plaster the roof.

I want to box off the water tank though & insulate and figure I need to build a stud wall around it. I havent insulated the rafters behind the water tank cause I figure I can just insulate the water tank from the reat of the room...Would that be correct? Is plaster board or wooden sheets best for the wall?

Also, I'm insulating the gable end of the attic where the concrete wall is joining the neighbours, stud wall again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

If i have you right your water tank is close to the base of the Apex?
    It would be best to have insulated behind this or @ the very least when you do box around it ensure there is insulation(rockwool or similar) at the back of the tank...you dont want the stored water freezing etc. as this will be a cold spot plus it will put extra payload on electric showers you may have running off it on cold mornings.(just dont insulate under it or youll have condensation probs)

for the gable end id us foil backed insulation board bonded to the wall...easier and space saving, you can get this in ~40mm and 60mm.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Good call on both counts,

never considered the load on the water heating. I had better insulate the tank from the cold so its less work for the imersion/gas to heat the water when needed. Excellent sugggestion.

As for the concrete end thats the idea I had in mind in the first place just the wall is uneven but shouldn't be too difficult.

Advertisement