Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3G SIM only for laptop with built in HSDPA slot?

• 08-05-2009 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before but I have searched/browsed (boards.ie and the wider internet) and wasn't able to get a clear answer... :o If there IS already an answer then feel free to just point me at it.

I have a HP 6910p laptop which comes has a built-in HSDPA slot that can accommodate a SIM. Is it possible for me to get a suitable pay as you go 3G/HSDPA SIM only from an operator so that I can use this to try out mobile broadband/midband? For example some operators offer free SIMs which just need to be topped up for use in an existing handset. Or Three offer one for €9. Would they work or are SIMs for use on 3G broadand somehow "special"?

I haven't installed the HP "WWAN" drivers and software yet to check them out but I presume that I'd use these and configure the appropriate service provider's 3G broadband settings to get going (I see them in the FAQ for most or all operators).

Hope that all makes sense. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Basically I'd just like, ideally at the minimum cost and no contract lock-in, to try out this feature of my laptop and see if mobile broadband/midband is suitable for my use generally or as a backup option

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The SIMs are all the same, except that sometimes voice services are blocked on dedicated "broadband" SIMs.

Meteor and Three both do PAYG, and you can just buy one of their SIMs and follow their instructions for buying the broadband add-on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

That's great. Thanks a lot for the prompt reply. I'm going to install the HP WWAN drivers and application and see what they look like and then hopefully look at getting a 3 or Meteor SIM and trying things out. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭TM

Ah - could be academic in this case. The laptop has a HSDPA SIM slot but it looks like the HS2300 modem itself is an option which is not installed by default and I can't see any sign of it (e.g. in Device Manager) so I presume it's not there. I'll check inside if necessary but I suspect that this is not a runner for me after all. Oh well... :o

Advertisement