Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unanswered questions and theories.

• 08-05-2009 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Ok jus for people to post some of their thoughts and questions on some still unresolved issues from LOST.

Ill start off, anyone remember when Jack was locked up in the cage and we saw the stewardess and the group of children walkin by, apparently knowing something Jack didnt. They seemed to be shocked that Jack was so mad at the time...well i didnt describe the scene too well but it still bothers me. Why were they allowed walk freely around and seem so content with being with the others?

The other one, remember when all Juliet had to go to some council of the others, they were all dressed up in white robes, they did somethin to juliet...what was it?

Oh ya one theory :
    i think the whispers are what people above the tunnels here when the others are passing underneath, explains how they can just pop up out of seemingly nowhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

i think those people where on the plane to get back to the island the same way the oceanic 6 got back, and they had been on the island in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 kingpin55

Ya that could be a runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Juliet got branded I seem to recall.

I am not sure if they allowed walk freely. I imagine they were content as they had the home comforts that Dharmaville brought. What would you rather life there or on a beach eating boar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There are so many unanswered questions that you could probably group them into 4 different categories, which are most important, which are least, which are most likely to be answered etc. Here's just a few that are bugging me:

Why is Jack's dad on the island - seriously?
    Stewardess that you mentioned - huh?
    Why did the others steal children, the "good" list?
    What's the significance of Hurley's numbers winning him the lotto?
    3 toed statue?
    Why is there a pirate ship on the island, has it something to do with Richard?
    Why did Desmond tell Charlie he saw Claire getting on the helicopter, and why did he start seeing the future anyway?
    Why did Locke have visions of Walt?
    What is Jacob and what is the Smoke Monster?

There is no way they can all be answered in 16 eps

This link is over a year old and none of their question's have been answered and the 3rd one (Libby) has been confirmed as to NEVER be answered

http://www.cracked.com/article_15838_5-questions-lost-writers-need-answer-why-they-wont.html

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

Also to the best of my knowledge the question of who 'Adam and Eve' are-the male and female skeleton from the first season has never been answered.

Although given that certain couples have gone back to the past its not unreasonable to assume that the skeletons may be the skeletons of characters we know-would be a typical Lost mindfcuk to do....

Can anyone remember-the skeletons had something with them didn't they?

• Advertisement

Ya probably impossible for them to answer everything thats a given...but the more annoying ones shud be answered, ie. the whispers, walt, jacob, pregnancy issue, statue, those people i mentioned before(stewardess and kids walkin willy nilly around hydra island), that time when juliet was in the jungle with jack i think and that pchychiatrist other came out of nowhere after hearing whispers than dissappeared again...how are they able to do that?? Richard alpert?

Loads more of coarse!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

In relation to the Skeletons, the black and white pebbles found with them were on a desk in Penny and Des's gaff when he flashed back in the Episode Flashes Before Your Eyes. Hint??

In relation to the Skeletons, the black and white pebbles found with them were on a desk in Penny and Des's gaff when he flashed back in the Episode Flashes Before Your Eyes. Hint??

Ah no not Desmond and Penny! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I think walt will have a major part to play at the very end of it all. He was such a big deal in the first 2 series and now he's off the radar altogether. I reckon he's due a big return and he'll end up as some kind of messiah or leader or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

perhaps they go back in time and have a son called charles... :eek:

Wait, what is their sons name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Unpossible wrote: »
    perhaps they go back in time and have a son called charles... :eek:

Wait, what is their sons name?

Their son is called Charlie.

If that happened the Penny would be her own grandmother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

dun dun DUNNNN,

On the plus side she can then save the planet from the flying brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

What about the Others in general? Why are they all there?

I get that they were sent there with the army 1950s at first and some stayed because they liked the island but how did they get new people all the time? How have they got so many people now in the beach camp in 2007, they seem to have more than back in 2004? Why do people want to live on this island??? What is their purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Their son is called Charlie.

If that happened the Penny would be her own grandmother.

And her own granddaughter...

I'm waiting to see how/why Hurly got back on the plane. The fact we haven't seen this via a flash back suggests there is a suprise involved, that and the fact he hasn't had a hell of a lot to do as of yet. (or else I just missed something in which case ignore)

And whats in the guitar case...? (no smart alec say a guitar)

~Im thinkin that bram and illana find out that locke is goin to find jacob and they get a little bit worried, load an outrigger and see lock and sawyer and co on one of the other outriggers paddling towards the mainland thinkin that its present time locke, not knowing its time travelling locke, hence they shoot at them, we see that one of them gets hit by juliet i reckon its bram cos hes fat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dr Sinnott

A couple of things don't make sense to me.

1. Do you remember the time when Ben and Locke were in the hatch and only Ben could have entered the numbers as Locke was caught under the door. Ben later told Locke he didn't enter them as the whole thing was a joke. Why did he say that? He obviously entered the numbers or there would have been an implosion then but why did he want Locke to think it was a joke?

2. Widmore has been looking for the island for years. He knows Hawking is living at the lampost(he gives Desmond the addresss). Does he not know that she lives at the one place where you can find the island? If he does why hasn't he used it in the past. It would seem a bit strange also if he didn't know it was there.

Hope I'm making sense here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I know this is a watse of a post, but it is quite possible lost has no real meaning, perhaps people are looking too deep into it? :D

Seems to me like there's too many lose ends to be tied up..

:pac:

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    I know this is a watse of a post, but it is quite possible lost has no real meaning, perhaps people are looking too deep into it? :D

And heres me looking for the meaning of life, :rolleyes:

Guess I'll dismantle my Jacob Shrine and stop building a Swan Station in the back garden...

Oh god and all that money I've wasted on flights from Sydney to LAX...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Lol, I can arrange for a trip to "the island" for you some time maybe?

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Lol, I can arrange for a trip to "the island" for you some time maybe?

You are not Tatoo by any chance are you?

fantasy_island_mr._roarke_and_tattoo.jpg

Am I showing my age here?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Dr Sinnott wrote: »
    2. Widmore has been looking for the island for years. He knows Hawking is living at the lampost(he gives Desmond the addresss). Does he not know that she lives at the one place where you can find the island? If he does why hasn't he used it in the past. It would seem a bit strange also if he didn't know it was there.
    Widmore did imply that he had tried but the island wouldn't let him come back when he spoke on the phone to Ben on the docks (he may even have actually said he tried, I can't remember the exact words he used).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Steamer wrote: »
    What about the Others in general? Why are they all there?

I get that they were sent there with the army 1950s at first and some stayed because they liked the island but how did they get new people all the time? How have they got so many people now in the beach camp in 2007, they seem to have more than back in 2004? Why do people want to live on this island??? What is their purpose?

I imagine recruitment, in the same fashion as Juliet, brought more of them to the island. And with one brainwashing trip to the Temple your set up as a Jacob loving hostile.

So why did the losties jump back to 1977? I presume it was instigated by Jacob or Esau but who benefited from it and how? Esau benefited because from Sayid shooting Ben a serious of events started that allowed Ben to become leader of the others and it also led to Jack confirming to Richard that Locke was special. Both of these events were essential to carrying out Esau's plan so it would suggest that Esau somehow instigated the jump.

But we know Jacob made sure Sayid would be on the plane by saving his life and getting Illana to arrest him. And he persuaded Hurley to get on the plane also so what are Jacobs intentions?

So why did they jump back? Was it because of the turning of the wheel or was it Jacob or Esau? Or did the writers simply think it would be cool?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Not sure how to quote lots of different posts together,
    But In the recent interview with Damon he talked about the numbers
    He said in the grander scheme of things they are not really that important,
    they were related to a promotional gimmick they wrote to publicise lost,

Story- after or before the Cold War (cant remember) a scientist was drafted in to predict a possible nuclear wipeout etc this guy called Vallenzetti came up with this formula, which the numbers are a part of,
    a certain group from the Hanso foundation took great interest in this and formed the Dharma initiative. Damon said it would be pretty weird at this stage to explicitly explain the meaning of these numbers-but he probably will!

THere is def more to Hurleys guitar case- It was left by Jacob for him to take back to the island and I would bet anything, it has a role to play in the next season.

I do think there is some significance with Charlie, remember when he inputed the code as Penny made contact with him and he figured out that who ever created the system had some musical background???As the system was based on musical notation or somesuch??

youngblood wrote: »

THere is def more to Hurleys guitar case- It was left by Jacob for him to take back to the island and I would bet anything, it has a role to play in the next season.

I do think there is some significance with Charlie, remember when he inputed the code as Penny made contact with him and he figured out that who ever created the system had some musical background???As the system was based on musical notation or somesuch??

I've been wondering if to try to make up for the embarrassment of the whole Final Destination fate type plot line they will try to make more out of Charlie's death. Remember he was "supposed to die." And remember that the writers had big plans regarding Eko that have obviously fallen by the wayside so I'm wondering (okay hoping) that Charlie steps into what ever plot they had in line for him. It would certainly be a pleasant surprise from Locke who has already had an "oh he's dead, oh no he's not didn't see that a mile off" cliffhanger. And the guitar case definitly falls into line with this as Un-Locke seems an awful lot like old Locke down to the horrible t-shirts so Jacob-Charlie would probably like a guitar to play.

Story- after or before the Cold War (cant remember) a scientist was drafted in to predict a possible nuclear wipeout etc this guy called Vallenzetti came up with this formula, which the numbers are a part of,
    a certain group from the Hanso foundation took great interest in this and formed the Dharma initiative. Damon said it would be pretty weird at this stage to explicitly explain the meaning of these numbers-but he probably will!
    Yeah that got revealed at the end of the lost experience during the break between season 2+3. I really don't see how this is not explained on the show. It shouldn't be hard to fit it in a scene.
    I completely forgot about that! I think they maybe 1 of those mysteries which is left unanswered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭Greener

So why did the losties jump back to 1977? I presume it was instigated by Jacob or Esau but who benefited from it and how? Esau benefited because from Sayid shooting Ben a serious of events started that allowed Ben to become leader of the others and it also led to Jack confirming to Richard that Locke was special. Both of these events were essential to carrying out Esau's plan so it would suggest that Esau somehow instigated the jump.

But we know Jacob made sure Sayid would be on the plane by saving his life and getting Illana to arrest him. And he persuaded Hurley to get on the plane also so what are Jacobs intentions?

So why did they jump back? Was it because of the turning of the wheel or was it Jacob or Esau? Or did the writers simply think it would be cool?

remember your one Eloise said that the results would be unpredictable because they werent able to get everyone back on the plane the way it originally was....so some people went to 1977 and others into normal present time...that was my thought as to why they didnt go back to where they were meant to anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bonny told him it was based on good vibrations... thats how he knew...

The main problem i have is that the vision didn't come true! Desmond said he saw claire and aaron get on a chopper... charlie did what he was supposed to but the vision didn't happen which means desmond either lied or changed the vision in some way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

tok9 wrote: »
    The main problem i have is that the vision didn't come true! Desmond said he saw claire and aaron get on a chopper... charlie did what he was supposed to but the vision didn't happen which means desmond either lied or changed the vision in some way

The vision hasnt come true yet!
    Nothing to suggest it wont happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The vision hasnt come true yet!
    Nothing to suggest it wont happen

If Claire and Arron somehow reunite on the island and leave by chopper i will be shocked! honestly it seems unlikely

If Claire and Arron somehow reunite on the island and leave by chopper i will be shocked! honestly it seems unlikely

Yeah. I started a thread on this last year. I kinda think that maybe they had Claire down as of the O6 and changed there minds in summer. I can't see them writing that in without the expectation that it would happen. I suppose you can argue Desmond was just lying to get Charlie to stop fighting the inevitable but it doesn't fit in with his character.
    I don't think it will happen in season 6 but can never know I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Nothing would shock me with Lost anymore........;)

cooker3 wrote: »
    Yeah. I started a thread on this last year. I kinda think that maybe they had Claire down as of the O6 and changed there minds in summer. I can't see them writing that in without the expectation that it would happen. I suppose you can argue Desmond was just lying to get Charlie to stop fighting the inevitable but it doesn't fit in with his character.
    I don't think it will happen in season 6 but can never know I suppose.

I suppose they can argue it was going to happen until Jacob/Christian intervened and took claire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Why is Jack's dad on the island - seriously?

I don't think Christian Shepherd was ever alive on the island, in much the same way that John Locke never returned alive to the island. I think the Christian Shepherd that we see walking and talking to people is Esau, or something else capable of impersonating people. After all, it is this impersonator that convinces Locke to return to civilisation and round-up the Oceanic 6 again, paving the way for his impersonation of Locke himself.

Also, given the introduction of time travel, its equally possible that the Christian Shepherd that meets Sawyer in Australia in season 1 (and convinces him to kill the owner of the shrimp stand) is the same impersonator. The possibilities are literally mind-boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I've been re-watching Season 4 on DVD (some of the flash-forwards are much easier to understand when you've seen Season 5 already), and I've noticed a couple of strange pieces of dialogue. When Locke and his group go to the Others' former barracks, Ben tells him that Charles Widmore is responsible for planting the fake wreckage of Oceanic flight 815 in an ocean trench off the coast of Bali. However, soon afterwards, the captain of the freighter tells Sayid and Desmond that Ben is responsible for planting the plane wreckage.

In Ben's flash-forward (featuring him leaving the island, and waking up in Tunisia), there's also a section where he sneaks into Widmore's bedroom to tell him that he's going to kill Penelope in revenge for Alex's death. However, Widmore seems to clearly be under the impression that he was not responsible for Alex's death, and that it was somehow Ben's doing. This seems to clash with the fact that the mercenaries were definitely on Widmore's boat, and the captain was open about working for him. However, the conversation does seem very strange...

Could some third-party be playing Benjamin Linus and Charles Widmore off against one another?

• Advertisement

mr_angry wrote: »
    The possibilities are literally mind-boggling.

What did it feel like when you're mind was literally boggled?

sorry i'm a smartarse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've been re-watching Season 4 on DVD (some of the flash-forwards are much easier to understand when you've seen Season 5 already), and I've noticed a couple of strange pieces of dialogue. When Locke and his group go to the Others' former barracks, Ben tells him that Charles Widmore is responsible for planting the fake wreckage of Oceanic flight 815 in an ocean trench off the coast of Bali. However, soon afterwards, the captain of the freighter tells Sayid and Desmond that Ben is responsible for planting the plane wreckage.
    Yeah, Season 4 presented us with two possibilities about the plane wreckage. Either it was Ben, or it was Widmore. I was hoping it would turn out to neither of them and that the plane was actually real, or at the very least something bigger would come of it. So I was quite disappointed to see Widmore admitting to it last season.

I don't understand Widmore's motivation for faking the crash. The island already does a pretty good job of keeping itself hidden as it is. Is he going to fake Flight 316 now as well? Feels like a cop out from the writers.
    In Ben's flash-forward (featuring him leaving the island, and waking up in Tunisia), there's also a section where he sneaks into Widmore's bedroom to tell him that he's going to kill Penelope in revenge for Alex's death. However, Widmore seems to clearly be under the impression that he was not responsible for Alex's death, and that it was somehow Ben's doing. This seems to clash with the fact that the mercenaries were definitely on Widmore's boat, and the captain was open about working for him. However, the conversation does seem very strange...
    My memory about this is bit vague but I think Widmore was suggesting that Ben was responsible for what happened to Alex due to his own refusal to give himself up when the mercenaries came knocking.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't understand Widmore's motivation for faking the crash. The island already does a pretty good job of keeping itself hidden as it is. Is he going to fake Flight 316 now as well? Feels like a cop out from the writers.
    I assumed Widmore faked the crash to reduce the chance that anyone would go searching for the plane or its survivors. Family/Friends or whatnot of the crew/passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I don't think Christian Shepherd was ever alive on the island, in much the same way that John Locke never returned alive to the island. I think the Christian Shepherd that we see walking and talking to people is Esau, or something else capable of impersonating people. After all, it is this impersonator that convinces Locke to return to civilisation and round-up the Oceanic 6 again, paving the way for his impersonation of Locke himself.

Also, given the introduction of time travel, its equally possible that the Christian Shepherd that meets Sawyer in Australia in season 1 (and convinces him to kill the owner of the shrimp stand) is the same impersonator. The possibilities are literally mind-boggling.

I would be pretty certain that the Christian that Sawyer met in Australia is the real guy alright, I do agree with you that all these "dead" people on the island like Christian, Alex, Locke, Boone, etc. were all Esau manipulating various people so that eventually he could have someone kill Jacob.

Advertisement