Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21st Century Breakdown - Greenday New Album Preview.

• 08-05-2009 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

Here

The new single is muck, very unoriginal and bland. I haven't managed to listen to the rest yet. Here's hoping.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Listening to the album now. Most of the tracks so far are based around riffs stolen from songs on the American Idiot album. The title track even has a Queen rip-off sound. The songs are catchy enough but fairly annoying as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

When did it get so trendy to bash Green Day exactly? apart form the usual punk "sell outz!!!" b.s.

From a first listen, sounds very solid, probably not as good as American Idiot, but there's some good stuff there.

Driver 8 wrote: »
    When did it get so trendy to bash Green Day exactly? apart form the usual punk "sell outz!!!" b.s.

Band-wagon bashing ain't my bag. I've got everything they've ever released and have always been a fan. But this is boring. "Solid" or not, it's boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

:rolleyes:

Neither of us said anything even remotely similar.

Still stand by what I said, Know Your Enemy is a pile of poo with nothing interesting about it.

I do like the whole concept of the album though, it's divided into three and it tells the story of a couple living in current time dealing with the pressures of the economy and the consequences post Bush America (They really hate him don't they?)

I'm still finding it hard to like though, which is really irritating because I normally dive on new Green day material with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Really liking this new album. American Idiot was good but don't think it was the best. Nimrod is their best imo...but so far I think this is up there! Before The Lobotomy is one hell of a tune! Loving it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Oasis44

Based on just a few listens I would say the new album has the potential to be even better than American Idiot. Stand out tracks for me were Viva La Gloria, Murder City and Horseshoes and Handgrenades.

Dont know whay they went for Know Your Enemy as the lead single cause its one of the weaker tracks IMO. Anyway got my tickets for being banned for a week. It starts today.

Oasis44 wrote: »
    Anyway got my tickets for being banned for a week. It starts today.

Bahahahaha! Best mod edit ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I spent my younger teenage years obsessed with Green Day.
    Bought absolutely everything they ever released, including the two lesser known albums (Kerplunk! and 1039/Smoothed out slappy hours).

Got a bit bored of them when my music taste matured a bit though, but the prospect of a new album got me excited, so last weekend i start listening to them like mad for the first time in years.

I haven't had a proper listen to the new album yet, but "Know you Enemy" reeks of My Chemiscal Romance or something, anyone agree?
    They'll probably never be back to their former glory tbh... but I can see the new stuff being pretty popular with angsty 14 year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Trendy"? That would imply Green Day are actually good but people are just pretending they're not, in order to be "trendy". Maybe people bash them because they think they're sh1t? I personally have thought they were sh1t since I first heard them (Basket Case).

The new single is one of the most horrible things I've ever heard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Did this get dropped in here from Alt and Indie or something?

I've given the single a few listens and I can't find anything I like about it. It sounds very forced like they're struggling to find a good hook and not really getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Yeah it really does sound like they're desperately trying to do American idiot part 2. It does have the odd few hints of stuff from warning, and there's even one song that reminds me of the first album.

The emo look they sport these days is pretty funny too :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Tbh I expected it to be dreadful, after American Idiot and the first single[far worse than anything off American Idiot] but its actually pretty good, some real crackers on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

For some reason I thought it was out tomorrow. Did it come out last Friday, or are people listening to it through other means?

Dudess, I'm not implying that Green Day are either good or ****, I'm implying that, especially after American Idiot, it suddenly became trendy, as far as I could see, for a lot of people who were Green Day fans to bash them, because of the usual nonsense about punk bands and being popular ("sell outs" etc)

And by the way, don't let that devolve into debating whether or they are a punk band or not, I'm just making an observation.

I don't think they're an amazing band or anything, but I have to say I thought they'd done that rare thing with American Idiot and actually evolved as a band. New album seems to be decent, if not on that level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I listened to it twice yesterday and I have to say its absoulute muck,sounds way to like america idiot which was also muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm implying that, especially after American Idiot, it suddenly became trendy, as far as I could see, for a lot of people who were Green Day fans to bash them, because of the usual nonsense about punk bands and being popular ("sell outs" etc).

Meh, I *was* a big Green Day fan years ago, but American Idiot was seriously awful. Nothing got to do with "selling out" or whatever, it's just ****.

New album doesn't seem to be any better, particularly the new single.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's simply American Idiot MKII. Nothing new, nothing exciting and ultimately bland.

If you put the two albums on shuffle together it would be difficult to tell which songs came from which album.

Disappointing, but expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Green Day were as good as dead before American Idiot. Let's call a spade a spade. For the exception of Good Riddance, they did nothing of notice since Dookie. People didn't care, Media didn't care.

Amazing what a bit of black eye shadow and a trendy black suit can do to reinvent you.
    I hate American Idiot myself, but i will give them credit. They managed to shoot themselves back into the public eye and got people talking about them again.

Personally I thought the band would roll over and die by the time 1995 came around, so i'll give them all the credit in the world for lasting til 2009 (and beyond), but i still can't stomach anything they did after Insomniac. Even the Nimrod version of Good Riddance sucked by comparison to the original.

Yeah, it's the eyeliner and suits that got them back into the public consciousness, not the decision to actually try to evolve as a band and try something new. Of course.

Same old "i liked their early stuff" hipster stance that every band that's ever become popular after having a niche audience (R.E.M., Metallica etc etc) has had thrown at them.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Funny how its always the old "fans", who hate American idiot...

I've been a fan of theirs since 94 I guess and I liked American Idiot a lot when it first came out, but boy did the singles get overplayed. I know it's a silly thing to complain about, but something about your sister who'd slag green day for years suddenly becoming a big fan really irked me :P

It wa a good album but not really one i'd consider a "classic"

The new one mostly feels like a collection of songs that weren't good enough to make the cut for american idiot. ah well

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the eyeliner and suits that got them back into the public consciousness, not the decision to actually try to evolve as a band and try something new. Of course.

One persons evolution is another persons regression. Take note.
    Same old "i liked their early stuff" hipster stance that every band that's ever become popular after having a niche audience (R.E.M., Metallica etc etc) has had thrown at them.

I'm a bit long in the tooth to be pulling that crap mate. It's down to personal preference. If the band wants to take a different direction with their music, that's fine with me. But don't expect me to be a sheep and still say their stuff is top notch when it's far from it. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ha well I think this is what says it all to me, has anybody hear the new Xtravision ad?
    basically it descibes the new album as "hardcore punk meets classic rock" or somthing to that effect::D:D:D:D:D

greenday IMO is marketed at the people who like to think they have a broad taste in music and enjoy punk and classic rock.

HOWEVER

It is neither, if Greenday were hardcore punk of whatever they describe it as they would have a rediculous band name like ****faced or somthing to that effect, also they wouldnt be hnearly as over produced and polished as the current greenday offerings.

If it was classic rock it wouldnt sound like My chemical Romance..........

Greenday has moved to pop music. what it is dong here i dont know.

Personally Im not a fan and never have, Ive tried to listen to them but they IMO were just crap and "gay" and definatley NOT punk. so I never got into the early stuff, by all accounts their real early stuff ive been told is great but ive never bothered to listen to it. I think their new stuff is better than the 90s albums ive heard, but I dislike the way they market their stuff as somthing its not.

kona wrote: »
    Greenday has moved to pop music. what it is dong here i dont know.

Cos it's pop-rock. And without kissing ass, but as Karl Hungus says, "if it falls into any category of Rock, it has a home here." So it leaves the doors wide open.

Hell by that definition, David Hasselhoff's musical career could probably be discussed here.

Oh f*ck, i've given em ideas! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Cos it's pop-rock. And without kissing ass, but as Karl Hungus says, "if it falls into any category of Rock, it has a home here." So it leaves the doors wide open.

Hell by that definition, David Hasselhoff's musical career could probably be discussed here.

Oh f*ck, i've given em ideas! :(

good laugh though:D:D

his music is hillarious.

Regression would imply that they'd move backwards into doing material that sounded like something they'd already done. I don't remember too many nine minute multi-part songs on Kerplunk. But hey, it makes a nice soundbite for you, doesn't it?

I'm not accusing you personally, but the "sheep" mentality is far more often to be found in people turning away from bands who move from a niche audience to more mainstream popularity than in people becoming fans. Sure, people who get into a band because they get more mainstream attention may well be fair-weather, but at least they don't bring with them the cooler than thou "I was into them before they were cool" mentality. Again, I haven't seen that in your own posts, but I've heard it a lot in relation to Green Day and other bands I mentioned in my previous posts.

I doubt even the most hardcore Green Day fan would ever suggest that they're "hardcore punk". I really don't see how "pop punk" is something to be ashamed of. Not everything is wilfully obscure, and mass appeal is hardly something to be sneered at.

Finally, putting gay in quotation marks doesn't make the criticism any less hollow and ridiculous.

Again, i'm by no means Green Day's biggest fan, i'm just making some observations.

They're about as "gay" as WASP in fairness, kona :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Driver 8, man, just let it go. They don't like Greenday, and they've given legitimate reasons for it. All you're doing is setting up strawman arguments to try and caricaturize everyone who dislikes them. The "niche-market rebels." I personally never had much time for Green Day, and TBH, they've been extremely popular ever since "Time Of Your Life," so that basically rubbishes the niche market rebellion argument. Heck, they've been very popular and even mainstream since "Basket case."

American Idiot was rubbish IMO and this new single sounds like all the worst bits from that album sandwiched into a song that can't find a decent chorus. But then I must just be hating without merit, right? Couldn't possibly be that I don't like their music (or their image, public persona, political opinions...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Green Day were as good as dead before American Idiot. Let's call a spade a spade. For the exception of Good Riddance, they did nothing of notice since Dookie. People didn't care, Media didn't care.

Amazing what a bit of black eye shadow and a trendy black suit can do to reinvent you.
    I hate American Idiot myself, but i will give them credit. They managed to shoot themselves back into the public eye and got people talking about them again.

Personally I thought the band would roll over and die by the time 1995 came around, so i'll give them all the credit in the world for lasting til 2009 (and beyond), but i still can't stomach anything they did after Insomniac. Even the Nimrod version of Good Riddance sucked by comparison to the original.

This guy said exactly what i was gonna say, i also agree with the good riddance versions. I still have my brain stew/jaded single with that version on it ;D It was one of the first cd's i bought :)

Listen, if someone wants to actually discuss the music involved, i'm all for it. I'd be interested to know why, for instance, American Idiot wasn't a record you enjoyed.

But "legitimate reasons"? please....eyeliner, suits and being "gay"? hardly.

I'm not saying everyone who dislikes Green Day does so for the reasons I mentioned, it's just a trend I've noticed among a lot of people I know, and in some of the sniffier reviews of both their last dvd and the new record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

You seem to waver off "selling out" as if its a harmless thing for a band do to, do you understand the concept of the term?

The basically changed their image, stlye of music, censoring the content to make it more appealing to a broader market. Lets also not negate the fact that the used the anti-war/bush propganda to push the record sales.

They are writing/performing for the record label, not their fans. Everything they say/sing is suspect. You like them most likely because your their target audience, or are you ??? :)

Advertisement