Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator Complaint

Options
  • 08-05-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭

I must protest about the actions of Ruggiebear as moderator in the rugby forum.

I was posting away this morning in the rugby thread and next thing I know at 5pm this evening I get a PM saying that I am banned from the Rugby thread for 7 days..!!! I havent posted there in hours.

A few points..

a. My last post was before lunch today I think. TBH I am not even sure which thread or post I was banned because of..:confused:
    b. No warning or any indication of any nature that I was violating the Charter
    c. The thread seems to be removed.
    d. Some 4-5 hours later out of nowhere I am banned for 7 days...
    e. There is no breach of the charter

He said I was blatantly trying to wind someone up...no I was not and he said a warning was not necessary..!

This MOD is arbitrary, bias and is a blatant abuse by a moderator of the banning tool.

I am a reasonable person and if I had been warned, kept misbehavinig and then banned..no problem. But this is nonsense...7 days...:eek:

Surely this is a worrying precedent.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What was the reason given for the banning?

The time lapse is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

The original PM said:-

"munster leinster rubbish"

Thats it.

Fine about the time lapse but what about the other points.

No warning or indication whatsover. I hadnt even checked that thread since 12-1pm. It came out of nowhere.

When I asked why I had got no warning this was the reply:-

"not always if it is blatant trying to wind people up. imo."

So bascially I did not breach the charter he simply took an opinion that I was trying to wind people up.

I read the thread. You were blatantly trying to wind people up by taking the piss in a thread which was supposed to be serious.

Seems fair to me. A warning isn't necessarily required, particularly where it's so blatant.

You'll note the charter contains this:
    Provincial tit for tat bickering.
    I'm sick and tired of every thread descending into petty ****e between leinster and munster fans. Keep it civil people and keep it away from flame wars.
    Ban upheld. It's only a week.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

No warning or indication whatsover.

No warning is required when in breach of a forum charter.

Beruthiel wrote: »

Oh what a surprise..ban upheld..:rolleyes:

Warnings are usually given out unless for something outrageously offenvise or naughty but...

1. I wasnt in breach of the Charter
    2. I didnt insult anyone
    3. I didnt use offensive or defamatory language
    4. I didnt personally attack any poster
    5. I cant imagine any reported me

So whats the problem?

It seems that the Mod was blinded by his own bias and sensitivities. Mr. Mod is clearly very sensitive and taking Felips Contempomis injury to heart....:D

Clearly unfit to do his job objectively...bascially banned for hurting his feelings..what a joke..

Oh well no harm..I can just post with my other username.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Oh well no harm..I can just post with my other username.:p
    By doing that you are getting around a forum ban, what's the point in rules if you are just going to cheat the system. Using a duplicate account is against the rules of this site.

Gordon wrote: »
    By doing that you are getting around a forum ban, what's the point in rules if you are just going to cheat the system. Using a duplicate account is against the rules of this site.

Yeah well I guess thats what happens when Mods start dishing out 7 day bans without warning for jack **** or when they let their own personal sensitivities override their ability to judge a sitution in an impartial and objective manner.

If certain Mods are going to act in an arbitrary and inconsistant way then posters will lose all respect.

I have been banned before and rightly so...I had been warned and continued..BAN..no problem there I accepted it but this was completely over the top and unnecessary. More importantly I didnt do anything wrong as listed in my previous post.

Ps I only need to use another username to post in the rugby thread which I very very rarely post in anyway so a 7 day ban doesnt really impact on me but its the principal.

Beruthiel wrote: »

Really, so what is the point in the "Infraction" system..yellow card etc??:confused:

To give warnings, where they're appropriate.

Really, so what is the point in the "Infraction" system..yellow card etc??:confused:

I alway use them when the comment doesn't warrant a ban but does warrant a slap on the wrist.

• Advertisement

Exactly.

So where in my posts did I warrant a straight 7 day ban without warning hours after I last posted?

What was so outrageous, out of this world insulting or aggressive or defamatory about my posts? Nothing, I didnt even break the forum charter. The Mod simply was biased and didnt like, perhaps my attitude/teasing, I dont know. Not one post was singled out for attention in fact if all my posts are read you will see I expressed disappointment at the player missing the final. The Mod is clearly unfit for Mod duties.

There is no way in the world a 7 day was warranted and I know you know you are reasonable people and you must agree but a 'circling the wagons' menality to back up the Mod at all costs makes a mockery of even having a complaint system. Whats the point.

Can you answer this honestly, was a 7 day ban warranted, without warning? Would you have acted in that manner?

(You see, you have to say yes because the ban was already upheld)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hello partyguinness.

First of all, thanks to Beruthiel for allowing me access here.

I'm not the Mod who issued the ban, but I have reviewed the thread in question this morning.

You broke the charter by making comments that amount to nothing more than yet another thread going the direction of Leinster vs Munster mudslinging, it was a clear breach of the charter.

There were no warnings because we are not obliged to warn when someone is breaking the charter, and every post you made in that thread broke the charter, in my opinion.

Answer me this.

Why did you feel the need to make such comments in that thread, the only purpose of them was to create bad blood by riling up Leinster fans. You got what you wanted, a riled up Leinster fan.

It's a ban for a week.

Hi there,

Firstly, it takes two people to get a riled up situation going. If the Mod was a riled up Leinster fan then surely that just proves my point he was biased and subjective. Not traits that a Mod should have if they are just going to dish out 7 day bans

Secondly there was no clear breach of the charter. Perhaps the Charter should be worded more clearly.

Thirdly, and this is my basic point, that a warning should at least have been given. If people are getting carried away then surely a warning should deflate the situation. If I then carried on regardless then sure a ban would be deserved. In fact I cant even remeber my posts.

If I had been warned that I was going off topic then I would tempered my posts or have just left the thread.

In the absence of gross misconduct, outrageous personal attaks or insulting behaviour, is a warning too much to ask for in the interests of fairness?

I have no problem accepting bans but what I do object to was the lack of opportunity or warning to 'correct' my posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Secondly there was no clear breach of the charter. Perhaps the Charter should be worded more clearly.
    There was most certainly a breach of the part of the charter that explicitly asks users not to make threads descent into the Leinster/Munster mudslinging. Your posts most certainly did that.

That is my opinion, the opinion of the Moderator who issued the ban, and the opinion of two Admins who have also reviewed the thread.
    Thirdly, and this is my basic point, that a warning should at least have been given.
    There is a clear warning in the charter.
    If people are getting carried away then surely a warning should deflate the situation. If I then carried on regardless then sure a ban would be deserved.
    Do you expect Moderators to be on hand 24/7 just in case users start breaking the charter?

That is not possible, I'm afraid, so when moderators do come online, find a user has broken the charter multiple times, then the course of action is to issue a ban.
    In fact I cant even remeber my posts.
    Well then I suggest you stop posting messages of that nature at times when you are unlikely to even remember posting them.
    If I had been warned that I was going off topic then I would tempered my posts or have just left the thread.
    But there was no moderator online while you were being off topic.

You were off topic and riling Leinster fans, multiple times. When a moderator did come online and see the breaches of charter, the only course of action was to ban, given the amount of posts you made in the thread, each and every one of them further derailing the thread and riling other users.

I have no problem accepting bans but what I do object to was the lack of opportunity or warning to 'correct' my posts.

You want moderators to hold your hand.

Well, that is certainly not going to happen.

I do object to was the lack of opportunity or warning to 'correct' my posts.

Again. Warnings are not always given.
    As an adult, you are expected to read the forum charter and work within it's frame.

Des wrote: »
    There was most certainly a breach of the part of the charter that explicitly asks users not to make threads descent into the Leinster/Munster mudslinging. Your posts most certainly did that.

That is my opinion, the opinion of the Moderator who issued the ban, and the opinion of two Admins who have also reviewed the thread.

Do you expect Moderators to be on hand 24/7 just in case users start breaking the charter?

That is not possible, I'm afraid, so when moderators do come online, find a user has broken the charter multiple times, then the course of action is to issue a ban.

But there was no moderator online while you were being off topic.

You were off topic and riling Leinster fans, multiple times. When a moderator did come online and see the breaches of charter, the only course of action was to ban, given the amount of posts you made in the thread, each and every one of them further derailing the thread and riling other users.

You want moderators to hold your hand.

Well, that is certainly not going to happen.

Well then I suggest you stop posting messages of that nature at times when you are unlikely to even remember posting them.

Thats just funny.

You are silent on my previous point. The Mod was a riled up Leinster supporter. That is objectivity and impartiality out the window and just shows the ban was hurting his feelings as opposed to any clear breach of the charter. Is that the way you want the forum run?

Fundamental fairness is all that is being sought.

If particular Mods are going to be so trigger happy with bans then perhaps they should pay more attention 24/7 or else give the job to someone else.

I dont expect you to over rule the Mod as you must tow the party line so perhaps for future reference the Charter should be more clear. I have no more to say on the matter as I have made my point and I have no interest in repeating myself again (attempts to patronise are not very becoming).

Just some advice for you going forward..:)

Thank you.

partyguinness
    Ruggie is unable to reply at the moment so he sent me this message for you:
    RuggieBear wrote:
    Both his accounts are perm banned from rugby.
    Duplicate accounts to avoid ban are a big no no for me.
    Can someone let him know please.
    And it is not bias I have perm banned more leinster fans for this offence than munster ones.

That's fine.

As I said earlier, of the 1000 odd posts I can count on one hand how many times I have posts on the rugby forum so a ban does not impact on me. It was the principal of the matter I complained about.

If its any consolation, I havent logged on or posted with other username in the rugby forum which for the record was not set up to get around bans just for anonymity sometimes (you will see by the number of posts under that name).

Hold on a second...

I clearly wrote my last reply in a hurry without thinking it through....

Why have I had both accounts permanently banned from the rugby forum?

Before you reply, the second account was set up months ago for anoymity sometimes and clearly not used to by pass the rugby forum. I never posted with the second name nothwithstanding my assertions that I would.

In the interests of compromise, perhaps you can perm ban the second account and leave this account free to post whenever the original ban is up?

So is anyone going to explain why I have a perm ban from the rugby forum?

• Advertisement

Without knowing the name of your second account, I can't help you. You can perhaps contact Ruggiebear and outline the same compromise you proposed in post #20. Assuming that you haven't used the second account to post in Rugby, it seems reasonable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know what your second account is. In my opinion you should think about which account you want to keep and we'll close your other account for good. You have already got bans on both accounts from other fora so we'll transfer the bans to whichever account you wish to keep.

Advertisement