Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chin Up Old Boy!

Options
  • 08-05-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭

About time I tracked some progress properly and not relying on a beer soaked memory :pac:

Chins- 8reps +20kg
    Dips- 10 reps +30kg
    Pushups- 7 +30kg

Chins & dips with a dipbelt, pushups with a 20kg & 10kg plate in a backpack. Warmup of ~5 reps unweighted on each exercise, then just 1 set, then rest for 5 seconds and do another rep, rest again until I am ~5 reps past the mark. Sometimes will do negatives and sometimes switch from chins to pullups for negatives. For the additional 5-sec rest reps on the dips I start high go down, up and then a slow negative down again, so sort of 1.5reps

Will try a 1RM dip soon. Previous best 1RM chinup was +40kg, this has dropped, tested a few months ago, but had gained weight.

Currently 5'11'' ~178lb

Don't worry, I do some squats and deadlifts & overhead pressing, not sure of figures though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I'm so glad you started a journal. I can honestly say that I enjoy reading your posts on the forum, I can't wait to see all the mad and wonderful things you use/make as part of your training!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

agree fully with malteaser, ive been waiting for this log for a while :P your like the Mr bean of the weights world :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

agree fully with malteaser, ive been waiting for this log for a while :P your like the Mr bean of the weights world :P

he's Wallace goddamit!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mr bean, Wallace, macguyver, Heath Robinson, its all good :)
    Malteaser! wrote: »
    I can't wait to see all the mad and wonderful things you use/make as part of your training!!
    Still have to get a photo of my mini dip station. Also got my hands on a load of springs from a trampoline! dunno what to do with them yet.

These are things I posted before. This is 1.5" manila rope.
    ropejg9.jpg
    worm-drive-hose-Clip.jpg
    The blue rope is held on with wormdrive hoseclips. These can loop into themselves, I have 2 hanging from my chinup bar. I can do about 10 pullups on them, burns your forearms like fire!

they can also loop onto trigrip plates.
    trigripropehj4.jpg
    You can do curls with these, but better is standing tricep extensions, you can also do negatives as you can assist the weight up with 2 hands on the rope and then lower it with just one arm.

I have an old mountain bike inner tube and the 2 ropes can loop onto it for band stretching, having proper rope to pull on while being elastic works very well. My trampoline springs have hooks so I can just put them on the blue loops really quickly, and more springs for more resistance.

Only other photo I think I have is of my filed down grippers to increase their ROM and resistance.
    sandedfiledheavygripcoc.jpg

80kg BW today in clothes, after a few unweighted slow reps I did
    • dips x3 with +50kg
    then a slow negative on the last rep,
    • 8 negatives with the 50kg afterwards.

This agrees with this calculator, I managed 10reps at a combined 80+30=110kg
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

So in theory it shows a 147kg 1RM, 67kg added. The estimate of weight is probably not fully correct as you are not really lifting the weight of your arms.

The 50kg added brings my combined total to 130kg, which is ~90% of the 1RM, and estimated to be 3-4reps. I could feel sort of electric pulses shooting through my triceps doing the 3 reps, none doing the negatives though
    • 10 rope pullups followed by a 15second L-sit holding the ropes,

fingers in tatters!
    • 7x25kg overhead presses, single arm using a little momentum, i.e. push press

• Advertisement

• dips x6 BW+40kg, slow negative on the last rep,
      6 slow negative dips BW+40kg immediately afterwards.
    • chinups x9 BW+20kg
      9 negative chins BW+20kg immediately afterwards.
    • Squats 10x BW warmup
      10x 42kg backsquat, bar cleaned and pressed onto back.
      5x 30kg on a dip belt.
      20x 72kg, (30kg on belt +42kg pressed onto back)

• Squats 10x BW warmup
      10x 52kg backsquat, bar cleaned and pressed onto back.
      5x 40kg on a dip belt.
      9x 92kg, (40kg on belt +52kg pressed onto back)
    • Dips x6 BW+40kg, slow negative on the last rep,
      5 second rest and another rep & slow negative
      6 slow negative dips BW+40kg immediately afterwards.
    • chinups x7 BW+25kg
      x6 BW+25kg, then 6 negatives straight after.

• Dips x7 BW on rings, warmup
      x3 BW+25kg on rings (to failure)
      x12 BW+25kg on right angled dipstation
    You can see the huge drop in ability due to the instability of rings, I have not done ring dips in a good while though.
    • chinups x10 BW, warmup
      x7 BW+25kg

Rub,
    what way do all those weighted dips transfer to bench?:? have you any idea what you'd throw up?

Rub,
    what way do all those weighted dips transfer to bench?:? have you any idea what you'd throw up?
    I have no idea, I have not benched in probably over a year now, I much prefer dips and only recently added weighted pushups. I have noticed more development in the upper pecs now, I had heard dips hit the lower ones. I quickly increased weights on the pushups so I imagine the area was undertrained. I might try benching some day, but I would expect poor results as I have not trained for it for so long. I expected my ring dips to be better than what I managed, they too were left out of training for too long.

I only have a cheapo bench in another room which I do not like using, I feel far safer and comfortable doing dips. I thought it might lead to some imbalance but I think Transform also never benches.

• Advertisement

• Dips
      x30 BW
      2 hours later
      x6 BW+70kg negative only reps, lasting about 3 seconds, not full rom since the plates hit the ground before my arms were at right angles
    • Chinups
      x8 BW+40kg negative only reps, lasting about 2-3 seconds

rubadub wrote: »
    I have no idea, I have not benched in probably over a year now, I much prefer dips and only recently added weighted pushups. I have noticed more development in the upper pecs now, I had heard dips hit the lower ones. I quickly increased weights on the pushups so I imagine the area was undertrained. I might try benching some day, but I would expect poor results as I have not trained for it for so long. I expected my ring dips to be better than what I managed, they too were left out of training for too long.

I only have a cheapo bench in another room which I do not like using, I feel far safer and comfortable doing dips. I thought it might lead to some imbalance but I think Transform also never benches.

But he does Dumbell Bench defo!

I dunno im just trying to figure out what motivates you and why you use such non-conventional workouts?? Like you dont really seem to do much direct (or general im not sure which!!) shoulder or back work, i just imagine some crazy muscle imbalances occuring but im most probably wrong!!

• Squats
      10x 40kg on a dip belt.
      12x 92kg, (40kg on belt +52kg pressed onto back)
    • Overhead press
      x6 52kg
      x5 52kg
      Both sets with slight push presses at the last 2 reps (i.e. squatting a little)
    • Rope Pullups
      x13 BW Deadhang
    Big improvement on these since I used chalk with them, first ones were quite fast, but still controlled, I am trying more explosive pullups. Again fingers in bits afterwards, and veins popping out of my forearms.
    • Chinups
      x7 BW+25kg
    • Deadlifts
      x6 107kg rest pause reps, 3-5sec breaks
      x1 127kg
      x1 127kg
    I dunno im just trying to figure out what motivates you and why you use such non-conventional workouts?? Like you dont really seem to do much direct (or general im not sure which!!) shoulder or back work, i just imagine some crazy muscle imbalances occuring but im most probably wrong!!
    Not sure if I have much muscle imbalance, I am doing more weighted leg work these days which I did worry more about. I do a lot of cycling in high gears so they were never doing nothing.

I would have thought the chins & pullups would work the back, though I suppose some bent over rows could be thrown in, I prefer them one arm.

I used to do more military presses, and one arm presses, I see now I only listed them once in this log so did some today:)

I have no team sport I take part in, I do some manual labour in work so would like to be strong for that, and I just like to maintain/lower my current fat levels as I was overweight before I began training. As for unconventional I workout at home, I like bodyweight training far more than traditional barbell work. I tend to just do what I feel like on the day TBH. I prefer short intense compound exercises and like negatives. Also I like my gadgets and building things, I have not listed my gripper work in the log, and do it about 3 times a week.

Found out my cheapo hollow ez-curl bar is only 1.25kg, figures above with 2 at the end should have been 1. Cannot edit now, feck all anyway.
    • Deadlifts
      x10 BW squats for warmup
      x10 128kg "webbing rack pulls"- this is the bar on the ground with 2 webbing straps looped onto an ez-curl bar so I am only lifting ~1-2inches.
      x1 127kg
      x1 127kg
      x1 127kg
    • Squats
      10x 50kg on a dip belt.
      10x 101kg, (50kg on belt +51kg pressed onto back) ~4sec breaks between reps

• Dips
      x10 BW Ring dips.
      x10 BW+35kg, immediately followed by...
      x6 BW+35kg rest pause 5 second "1.5 reps"
      x9 BW+35kg, immediately followed by...
      x3 BW+35kg rest pause 5 second "1.5 reps"
    I would recommend trying those rest pause "1.5 reps", it feels like extending that feeling of being on your last rep. Do a normal dip and then lower yourself slowly again and stop and stand up, then rest for 5seconds and go again.
    • Rope Pullups
      x15 BW Deadhang
    Have to add weight on these next time:)
    • chinups
      x7 BW+25kg immediately followed by...
      x4 BW+25kg rest pause 5 second reps, immediately followed by...
      x4 BW+25kg negative only reps
    [/QUOTE]
    • Pushups
      x10 BW warmup.
      x5 BW+30kg in a backpack using stands.
      x10 BW Pike Pushups,
    like these but I use pushup stands so go deeper

rubadub wrote: »

[/quote]

oooooooooooooooooog gaaaaaaaaaawwwwd

the possibilities!!!!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................:D

Push Press
    70kg x 6
    60kg 2 x 8

Push Jerk
    60kg x a few

Pull Jerk
    x1,000

Clean
    x1
    ;)

:D

• Chinups
      x5 BW warmup
      x7 BW+25kg immediately followed by...
      x7 BW+25kg negative only reps
    • Rope Pullups
      x7 BW+10kg
    • Dips
      x5 BW warmup
      x6 BW+40kg immediately followed by...
      x6 BW+40kg negative only reps
    • Overhead Dumbbell Press
      x3 22kg each arm separately
      x12 12kg each arm
    Left shoulder was sore for some reason. I was expecting 10+ reps with the 22kg. Seemed a little niggly the other day doing overhead presses but that was with a barbell, this was far worse.

• Squats
      10x 40kg on a dip belt.
      10x 60kg on a dip belt.
      12x 101kg, rest pause reps, ~4second between each(60kg on belt +41kg pressed onto back)

~80mins later
      10x 101kg, rest pause reps
    Damn heat is a killer, could have a shower after each rep!

• Advertisement

Was away on the piss and the hotel had a leisure centre so finally got a go on machines and oly weights. No dipstation:mad: No squat rack, though you might have done some in a power rack but was awkward and nowhere to dump the bar.
    • Chinups
      x12 BW
    • Pullups
      x10 BW
    • Leg Press
      x15 210kg,
    That was the highest setting, I liked it a lot. Resistance should have gone higher
    • Chest Press
      x15 ??kg,
    Can't remember the weights, you could assist with your legs to push the weight out, I liked this since it allowed you to do a heavy negative after assisting the concentric movement.
    • Shoulder Press machine
      x8 ??kg,
    • Cable Pulldown
      x15 ??kg,
    Set to the max weight which was feck all. The machines resistance was stupid, some machines I could only manage half the max resistance possible while others were no problem at the max setting.
    • Lat Pulldown
      x10 80kg
      x10 90kg,
    • Deadlift
      x10 100kg,

• Handstands
      Wall handstands ~20-30 seconds at a time, just static holds, about 5 so far.
      Also doing about 20 Partial ROM handstand pushups like the guy does at the start here.
    I did some kicking up against the wall, and some with belly to the wall like he does. I was reading on a gymnastics site advising belly to the wall.

This is the next progression I will be aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Yeah, I do it kicking up to the wall. Never crossed my mind to do belly to well. It's quicker to kick up. :)

accensi0n wrote: »
    Yeah, I do it kicking up to the wall. Never crossed my mind to do belly to well. It's quicker to kick up. :)
    Yeah, I never heard of it until yesterday, it is actually a lot easier to do than you would think. The only problem is if you are tired it is easier to fall down if you had your back to the wall. I do mine on the middle landing on my stairs, so when I am belly to the wall I just lean over a bit my feet are on the upper set of stairs. They also said you could roll out, or just walk on your hands out front again.

Also when I was belly to the wall and out further I was able to get a really good incline for pushups on stands, a bit too hard for me.

I think they belly to the wall is supposed to be better to train for freestanding handstands. Also another guy training for freestanding was doing it in a door way, his legs were scissored in the doorway, so if he fell forward or back his feet hit the frame. Yet could be freestanding most of the time.

• Wall Handstands
      x3 20sec back to wall with some mini shrugs
    Getting more used to being upside down now :)

hours later...
    • Rope Pullups
      x9 BW+10kg
    • Chinups
      x10 BW+30kg 5sec rest-pause reps immediately followed by...
      x3 BW+30kg negative only reps
    • Dips
      x16 BW Ring dips
      x7 BW+40kg immediately followed by...
      x7 BW+40kg negative only reps

x10 BW reverse V-dips knuckles away
      x10 BW reverse V-dips knuckles facing
    By reverse V-dips knuckles facing I mean this, look mad awkward but were actually OK,
    image042.jpg
    Not sure if these are Gironda dips. I have seen a few descriptions for Gironda dips. Usually on my dips I would always be facing into the point of the V. I heard that the recommended distance between hands on dips should be the distance between your elbow and the tip of your fingers.

The "knuckles away dips" is really for ring training.
    • Bent Over One Arm Dumbbell Row
      14x32kg each arm
      8x42kg each arm
    Didn't know what weight to start at, the exrx rep calculator only goes to 10. This goes higher http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=18 was pretty accurate, estimated 45kgx5reps 38kgx10reps. I was aiming for 7-8

i actually saw a dude doing knuckles facing dips on parralel bars yesterday, i attempted them which proved something i've known for quite a while i have zero shoulder flexibility beyond the "normal" plane... should probably sort it out!

i have zero shoulder flexibility beyond the "normal" plane... should probably sort it out!
    Rings would sort you out!, I am getting back into the ring dips now. Also I think the handstands have really helped my dodgy shoulder. I am sticking to the handstands for a while until I go back to overhead presses, I just did some warmup movements and the shoulder feels a lot better. I probably could have done 13-14 of those reverse dips but was taking it easy, they look so dodgy!

Will try these soon.

I feel like a pedo watchin that clip!

I've been doing some voyer shrugs, and reverse cable flyes and scap stuff and the like to sort out my posture a bit (its not esp bad but i've had some bad injuries that i want to forget) then i'll get onto the lack of mobility!

I feel like a pedo watchin that clip!
    LOL, yeah, there is another great video but all these young lads are flexing at the end, its just WRONG.

Some of those kids are really strong, this quote is they guy who trained the guy from the video.
    How strong is it possible to become with bodyweight exercises? Amazingly strong. In fact I would go so far as to say, done correctly, far stronger than someone who had trained for the same amount of time with free weights. Want some concrete examples? One of my former students, JJ Gregory (1993 Junior National Champion on the Still Rings) developed such a high degree of strength from my bodyweight conditioning program that on his first day in his high school weightlifting class he deadlifted 400lbs., and this at the scale breaking weight of 135 lbs. and a height of 5’3”.
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
    Some coaches will not let them even train their legs for fear of adding unwanted muscle mass, but he trains them fully.

Never heard of the voyer shrugs, I will try them, have a plan do to them at home, have weights on webbing hanging off the stairs, so they are dangling down onto the stairs below but coming up at an angle with the webbing resting on the ledge.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/mondays_with_thibs_the_voyer_shrug_1

• Advertisement

• Yewkis
      x3 attempts
      x6 bent legs
    Sort of did these right, very tough, this is a video of them done properly. They are named after a gymnast. Did them on monkey bars, could do the bent leg one at home.

• Front Lever
      x6 feeble attempts!
    • Hanging Leg Raises
      x6
    • Straight Bar Dips
      x5
      x4
      x3
    Like this guy who is really doing a muscle up. pullups_4492.JPG

Advertisement