Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chin Up Old Boy!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Deadlifts
      x10 81kg
      x20 101kg last 6 rest pause
    • Rope Pullups
      x10 BW
    immediately followed by
    • Chinups
      x8 BW negative only
    • Ring Dips
      x20 BW Wide last 10 rest pause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Hey rubadub.Just wondering what type rope you use on the rope pullups?

Remmy wrote: »
    Hey rubadub.Just wondering what type rope you use on the rope pullups?
    It is 1.5" manila. You can see it here looped onto a plate.
    trigripropehj4.jpg
    I have 2 of them and they loop onto the chinup bar in the same way they as on that plate.

ropejg9.jpg

You could just use 2 towels though. A guy on youtube used the heads off mops! this allowed you to grab varying amounts of strands to vary the thickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Hey Rubadub, love reading your journal and good to know someone else is enthusiastic about pull-ups and bodyweight coniditioning :). For the rope pull-ups, do you basically attach them onto the chin-up bar and grip/hang from the rope and perform pull-ups that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

ah right I use a cheapy 1 inch plastic rope and it cuts my hands up a bit.I'll try the towel suggestion thanks!

• Advertisement

For the rope pull-ups, do you basically attach them onto the chin-up bar and grip/hang from the rope and perform pull-ups that way?
    Yes, I have the chinup bar that screws out telescopically on both sides. So the centre of the bar is thicker than the 2 bits that come out. This acts as a stop for the ropes, they are hanging down at a wide pullup grip distance, and they cannot slide towards each other since they butt up against the centre bar. Therefore it forms a slight V shape when hanging.

I find you get a great ROM with your hands/wrists and can really pull them down to the sides of your chest. I was trying the "power pullups" you mentioned and you can get great fast movement with the ropes. I find them even better than gymnastic rings for the freedom of movement. Though my hands are a quivering mess afterwards. I have to bend my knees as I am so low down.

You can just do them with one rope/towel too, good practice for rope climbing. This guy is just slinging a rope over the top so it is a little bit apart with the hands. You could have both on the same one.

This is the guy with the mops. More like what I do.

Remmy wrote: »
    ah right I use a cheapy 1 inch plastic rope and it cuts my hands up a bit.I'll try the towel suggestion thanks!
    1" is meant to be a lot tougher to do, I think 2" is most recommended, and then 1.5". The manila deforms more and I would imagine it gives better grip than a poly rope. The towel would probably be closer to what the manila is like, and dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Cheers for that, i actually do rope climbing and rope pull-ups as the gym im currently in has rope's set up (about 6 meters high). I was just curious as if by chance i get to a stage i cant do them it would be interesting to do some DIY rope pull-ups with a pull-up bar like you do :)

• Rope Pullups
      x21 BW -15 proper last 6 negative only
    Never let my grip go from the rope, I think this is important, once I let go my fingers are in tatters, there is no way I could get more reps in.
    • Chinups
      x26 BW last 10 negative only
    • Ring Dips
      x30 BW last 14 negative only

• Deadlifts
      x9 101kg
      x20 101kg 15, 2 rest pause, 3

BW=84kg
    • Chinups
      x16 BW
    • Ring Dips
      x28 BW fairly wide last 14 negative only

• Dips -deep parallel bar
      x28 BW last 14 negative only
    • Pullups -straight ledge
      x24 BW last 12 negative only
    By ledge I mean fingers flat ontop of a ledge, thumbs not gripping anything.

• Advertisement

• Pullups vertical bars
      3x1 BW
    These are an almost vertical bars in a playground, they sort of arch upwards, getting more vertical at the top. Similar enough to "Chinese poles"

• Pullups Neutral Grip
      x20 BW last 10 negative only
    • Dips right angle bar
      x20 BW

• Chinups
      x20 BW last 4 rest pause
    • Ring Dips
      x20 BW last 8 negative only

87kg in clothes.
    • Arched Monkey Bars 10 rungs
      1x cross both hands on bar at a time
      1x cross one hand on bar
      2x cross standing sideways, both hands on bars
    By standing sideways I mean like doing neutral grip pullups, hold onto the bar like commando grip pullups. The monkey bars are arched which is handy, the first few reps/rungs are much harder since you are going up, then coming down is easier. Like these but more arched.
    FT34%20-%20Arched%20Monkey%20Bars.jpg
    • Pullups vertical bars
      2x5 BW
    Biceps stinging after these.
    • Ring Dips
      x20 BW last 3 rest pause

• Pullups
      x10 Ledge L-sit
      x10 Ledge last 2 N.O.
      x6 Neutral grip
      x6 BW Vertical bars
    • Goblet Squats
      x25 27kg
    • Deadlifts
      x5 101kg
      x15 101kg
    • Chinups
      x13 BW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Monkey bars like that are really handy for doing something different, like what you were doing. I haven't been up to Malahide park in ages though, which is where my set is!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Monkey bars like that are really handy for doing something different, like what you were doing. I haven't been up to Malahide park in ages though, which is where my set is!
    The nearest "adult set" near me is in cabinteely park. However playgrounds are popping up all over the place now, and with the darker evenings no kids are out so I can nip into one on my way home from work.

It also has wider than usual parallel bars and a good wide pullup bar. Also the bars are slightly thicker than normal, maybe 1.5". You can also do extra wide neutral grip pullups on monkey bars.

Maybe it's just my narrow frame (6ft, and 66kg, go figure) but I prefer paralell bars closer together! I'm also all about football posts for pull ups etc, my hands get a better grip on wider cross bars than the conventional 1 inch bars in a gym.

Ledge pull ups? Training for the next NINJA series?!

I prefer paralell bars closer together!
    The wide grip is much tougher, works you a lot harder, the further you go out the more leverage on your arms. I much prefer right angled bars, but find them too easy unweighed, unless you go VERY deep.
    Ledge pull ups? Training for the next NINJA series?!
    :), it is not a small ledge, it is just hands flat on big board, with no thumb to grip. Though I can do a few fingertip ones on a particularly large doorframe, probably 3/4" thick

The wide grip is much tougher, works you a lot harder, the further you go out the more leverage on your arms. I much prefer right angled bars, but find them too easy unweighed, unless you go VERY deep.

So what you're trying to say is... I'm a lazy weak bastard!!!

So what you're trying to say is... I'm a lazy weak bastard!!!
    LOL, not at all, you should give the railings a go if you can find any, where corners meet up.
    machineguard.jpg

I have read the ideal distance apart for bars is from your elbow to the tip of your hand.

• Advertisement

• Chinups
      x8 BW+20kg
      x16 BW
    • Ring Dips
      x10 BW +20kg 8 negative only
      x10 BW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

rubadub wrote: »
    I have read the ideal distance apart for bars is from your elbow to the tip of your hand.

Also known as a 'cubit'! Really, no sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

gnolan, where you watching "how long is a piece of string by any chance?"

gnolan wrote: »
    Also known as a 'cubit'! Really, no sh!t
    :) never heard of that before. The wide bars in the park are about a Flemish Ell apart ;)

Vitruvian_Man_Measurements.png
    "how long is a piece of string by any chance?"
    I saw a website with the answer to that, had some estimate on all the lengths if string in the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

gnolan, where you watching "how long is a piece of string by any chance?"

Yes indeed

• Deadlifts
      x5 101kg
      x19 101kg
    Still have tricep DOMs from tricep pushups on rings done on saturday I think

• Inclined pushups
      x16 BW

A few handstands against a wall.
    • Pullups vertical bars
      x12 BW
    Doubled my reps on these, quite strange.
    • Vertical bars shimmy
      6 "jumps" both hands at once
      6 "jumps" one hand at a time
    • Arched Monkey Bars 10 rungs
      1x cross one hand on bar

morning
    • Ring Dips
      x16 BW
      x10 BW
    • Ring Tricep Pushups
      x16 BW

Morning (and last 3 mornings)
    • Chinups
      x14 BW

Evening
    • Pullups vertical bars
      x14 BW
    Few shimmys up the bar.
    • Power/jumping pullups
      x5 BW
    • Wide Parallel Dips
      x20 BW

BW=86kg in clothes
    • Chinups
      x2 BW+20kg
      BW+40kg fail
      x5 BW+40kg negative only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Dude, I love your log.

Do you ever do any gymnastic hold stuff?
    Planches or owt?

Advertisement