Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commerical jeep opinions?

• 08-05-2009 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious to hear from those who have experience of commerical jeeps what you think of either a 01 Isuzu Trooper 3.0d, 01 Discoverty TD5, or a 01 Landcruiser?

I'm interested to hear reliability, economy, running costs, etc, no real experience of these jeeps TBH, and as a search for a transit connect with the toys I want for the price I want to pay is coming up short, these may be the next option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

ned78 wrote: »
    Just curious to hear from those who have experience of commerical jeeps what you think of either a 01 Isuzu Trooper 3.0d, 01 Discoverty TD5, or a 01 Landcruiser?

I'm interested to hear reliability, economy, running costs, etc, no real experience of these jeeps TBH, and as a search for a transit connect with the toys I want for the price I want to pay is coming up short, these may be the next option.

Go for the Landcruiser all the way!!

Trooper is a VERY thirsty beast & the Disco handles like a jelly doughnut!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It would have to be between the Landcruiser and the Disco.
    The 3.0l engine in the Isuzu was not a great engine.
    TD5 more economical,but only 2.5 litres capacity.
    1KZ-TE in the landcruiser makes the same HP but is 3.0 litres
    Personally I would have the LC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

The 3.0 Troopers can be bought for peanuts (3k or so for a 00 ?) but very high risk of engine trouble. If price is low enough then might be worth the risk ?

I had the same dilemma last year but couldn't bring myself to pay the inflated prices for Landcruiser. Went for a mint condition low mileage Trooper with the older 3.1 engine (no reliability issues). However LandCruisers are cheaper this year than last year ....

I don't know anything about Disco but had listened to so many scare stories I kept away. Others might comment on whether the stories are deserved or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the mitsubishi shogun or kia sorento are two great options too

Depends if you are doing much towing? For towing the larger capacity engines will be better, no replacement for displacement.
    The Jap import Prado has an intercooler which gives it better performance.
    They feel a lot more torquey as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

How heavy are those landcruisers on juice? Had one for a few weeks years ago great yoke to drive cant remember how bad they were though probably because i wasn't paying :). Much better ride than those awful bloody hiluxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Moved to 4x4 Forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I've had both Disco & Trooper.

Discovery had gearbox problems in mid ninties, but I'm sure they were sorted.

Trooper - mine was a 00 and it had serious problems with the turbo and it was a generally known fault. It blew 3 times and on the third time it damaged the engine. Fair pay to isuzu for replacing the engine even though it was 5 years old. - Except for this, it was an absolute workhorse and carried a fair load.

But then you have the reliability of Toyota - have you ever seen a toyota broken down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Stay clare of a pre 2002 td5 engine they have belive it or not a type of plastic or nylon locating dowl in the engine head which can and of course often does distorte with the heat causing the head gasket to go. Iv heard the 3 litre trooper engine is just a bored out version of the older 2.8 and is trouble but the 3.1 is pretty bullet proof. As far as Im aware the landcrusier is a good reliable jeep but they sure aint cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

O.A.P wrote: »
    Stay clare of a pre 2002 td5 engine they have belive it or not a type of plastic or nylon locating dowl in the engine head which can and of course often does distorte with the heat causing the head gasket to go. Iv heard the 3 litre trooper engine is just a bored out version of the older 2.8 and is trouble but the 3.1 is pretty bullet proof. As far as Im aware the landcrusier is a good reliable jeep but they sure aint cheap

The first part is wrong, the second is right.

The 3.0l is a stand alone CAT designed engine AFAIK and does give a fair bit of trouble.

There is currently a recall on all the older engines for injectors. Isuzu have been very good at trying to solve the problems with this engine but it is like trying to make a silk purse from a sows ear. The very design of the engine is flawed and over complicated.

Older L/C are fairly reliable from what I have heard but newer ones (post 05) have been giving trouble with diesel knock and injectors which can cause engine failure.

Personally I would stay as far away from the Disco as possible. I just dont rate them and the leak oil something terrible.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected then. I should have had the facts not listen to bull. Its still a poor engine though.

That it is, whats more, it has tarnished its predecessor which was a fantastic engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Thanks for all the advice guys, if I were to go for a Trooper, which is the better engine, the 3.0, or the 3.1?

Thanks for all the advice guys, if I were to go for a Trooper, which is the better engine, the 3.0, or the 3.1?

3.1, without a doubt.

Really is a very good engine.

However you wont find one newer than 98. That is when the 3.0 came in. Some people have done conversions. Not sure how good they were. Have never seen one

Ah fair enough, I'm looking at a 00 3.0d one which has had a new engine recently, I'd imagine it perhaps has a more reliable unit installed than the one that may have been in it ;)

Would anyone have real world figures on mpg from such a jeep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Ah fair enough, I'm looking at a 00 3.0d one which has had a new engine recently, I'd imagine it perhaps has a more reliable unit installed than the one that may have been in it ;)

Its still a scrap heap. Oil changes need to be spot on with them (5W30).

The landcruiser 90 series is more expensive than the others because it is known to have better reliability, this translates into less mechanical bills for the owner, it is also a more modern design than the trooper with the 3.1.
    But as always Caveat Emptor, the 90 series toyotas can have problems with heads cracking in the early 1 KZ-TE engines, make sure that the Radiator and associated cooling systems are in good order, check the Coolant fluid for signs of oil and if in doubt walk away there are plenty of 'cruisers for sale.
    Any landcruisers with an Auto box are additionally susceptible to the auto box being contaminated with coolant as the radiator does both transmission and engine, the cooler leaks and the rad coolant finds it's way to the transmission which can be very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I had one for a few years. Parts prices are expensive and the 3.0 litre engine is prone to faults. I hear that Troopers with all the recall work sorted are pretty reliable. Check that your one has two batteries fitted, or it will be a painin the hole to start in cold weather. (My 99 didn't have them, my brother's 00 did) You can expect MPG in the mid to high twenties, depending on how hard you drive it. Outside of engine woes, the Trooper was a brilliant jeep, comfy, looked good and was an excellent workhorse.

You can expect MPG in the mid to high twenties, depending on how hard you drive it.

Holy sh*tcakes. Mid to late 20's - city driving? I was hoping to touch 40 at least with country driving. Doh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

-1 i can vouch for the td5, we have a 98 defender with 162k miles on the clock, never any problems.

It gets regularly serviced and still does all the towing......

• Advertisement

landyman wrote: »
    -1 i can vouch for the td5, we have a 98 defender with 162k miles on the clock, never any problems.

It gets regularly serviced and still does all the towing......
    Glad to hear it but that is the exception mine is 1999 with 84000 on the clock and regulary seviced had to replace the head gasket before christmass. Thats when I found out about this very common problem, it set me back 1000 euro, apart from that its been fine though. They changed it after 2002 though to a steel dowel and this comes with the gasket kit too.

Glad to hear it but that is the exception mine is 1999 with 84000 on the clock and regulary seviced had to replace the head gasket before christmass. Thats when I found out about this very common problem, it set me back 1000 euro, apart from that its been fine though. They changed it after 2002 though to a steel dowel and this comes with the gasket kit too.

Thats unfortuate bout yours, hope it wasnt to expensive.

I can see a top end overhaul been done sometime withing the next year, so hopefully the plastic bit will be replaced with the redesigned one.

I remember doing a headgasket on one for the ESB after they had fcuked it up. It wasnt a bad job but there was something fiddledy about it.

Think it was to do with timing marks or timing. When it came to me it had the new gasket on but was locking and L/Rover reckoned the piston was hitting the head gasket :pac:

landyman wrote: »
    Thats unfortuate bout yours, hope it wasnt to expensive.

I can see a top end overhaul been done sometime withing the next year, so hopefully the plastic bit will be replaced with the redesigned one.
    Yeah the new gasket kit is sorted out. Good to hear that you have twice my mileage done and still are prepared to overhaul it. I never want to part with mine, Iv been told that the 300 tdi was much better but Im determined to keep her on the road until I retire

Slidey wrote: »
    I remember doing a headgasket on one for the ESB after they had fcuked it up. It wasnt a bad job but there was something fiddledy about it.

Think it was to do with timing marks or timing. When it came to me it had the new gasket on but was locking and L/Rover reckoned the piston was hitting the head gasket :pac:
    Sounds like they skimed to much off the head if Iv understood your post right. Thicker gaskit might fix that if your lucky.

Yeah the new gasket kit is sorted out. Good to hear that you have twice my mileage done and still are prepared to overhaul it. I never want to part with mine, Iv been told that the 300 tdi was much better but Im determined to keep her on the road until I retire

Yep the 200tdi and 300tdi engines are great yokes, rarely, if ever go wrong. We have a 92 200tdi landy, it only has 120k on it but still going nicely.

Sorry for hijacking op. If you want my recomendation its a 2.8 pajero or a lwb defender. Both decent workhorses

Holy sh*tcakes. Mid to late 20's - city driving? I was hoping to touch 40 at least with country driving. Doh.

You won't come within the proverbial ass's roar of the 40's in a roughly 3.0-litre jeep, unless someone is towing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You won't come within the proverbial ass's roar of the 40's in a roughly 3.0-litre jeep, unless someone is towing you.

+1. We have an 06 SWB l/cruiser at work. Great for towing. Mid 20's and you're doing well. Towing and it's less. But does it admirably :D

Me? I think the clutch is terrible, and it's way too boaty for me. Hence the FS sign.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    +1. We have an 06 SWB l/cruiser at work. Great for towing. Mid 20's and you're doing well. Towing and it's less. But does it admirably :D

Me? I think the clutch is terrible, and it's way too boaty for me. Hence the FS sign.

Funny you mention the Clutch, the 120series LC has a 240mm clutch while the older 90 series has a 260mm, I wonder did the factory step away from the idea of a workhorse and more towards a sporty image?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Funny you mention the Clutch, the 120series LC has a 240mm clutch while the older 90 series has a 260mm, I wonder did the factory step away from the idea of a workhorse and more towards a sporty image?

I dunno, but it's horrendous. Why it isn't light escapes me, I mean, that is one thing Toyota are famous for.

Funnily I got a lift in a LWB auto one (05), and he tells me it's no heavier on juice, really, and he tows plant with his........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

I dont think even the wee handbag 2.0 jeeps do thet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

both my 4.2 LC 100vx's autos do mid 20's mpg....mixed. Towing teens.

Mighty vehicle.

Anywho, the bank sanctioned my loan today, so I'll be shopping for something definitely in the next 2-3 weeks after I'm back from work in the UK. I really appreciate everyone's input on here ... I might be in the trade, but I know bugger all about jeeps! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Anywho, the bank sanctioned my loan today, so I'll be shopping for something definitely in the next 2-3 weeks after I'm back from work in the UK. I really appreciate everyone's input on here ... I might be in the trade, but I know bugger all about jeeps! :o

What's the budget going to stretch to?

PM sent LM :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

the mitsubishi shogun or kia sorento are two great options too
    What MPG is your Sorento doing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Are you MAD,dont touch the 3 litre Trooper,its pure MUCK and has serious engine problems.

Go for the 3.1 litre Trooper if you are going for a trooper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

ok

bought a ssangyong kyron last jan, been getting 800km from 65ltr tank, usually very heavily loaded, off road not too bad either.

not as smooth as landcruiser though

al

paddy147 wrote: »
    Are you MAD,dont touch the 3 litre Trooper,its pure MUCK and has serious engine problems.

Go for the 3.1 litre Trooper if you are going for a trooper.

Or a tidy 3.0 which has had a heart transplant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I have the last of the 90 series landcruisers (KJZ95) 03 reg, it has the D4-D engine and i have to say it's a beast. totally reliable and gets around 30 to the gallon when driven right. Pull a 14ft williams with it and it barely flinches. Wouldn't have anything else, even the 120 cruiser. I've even had it on the nurburgring! legend of a machine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

the one thing i find about the LC100's are they are boring....friend of mine in the jeep repair game says he has yet to do a head job on a 4.2td 24v toyota....they just go and go.....yawn. As previous mentioned they have the road manners of a boat.....just a big tank.

Bearcat wrote: »
    the one thing i find about the LC100's are they are boring....friend of mine in the jeep repair game says he has yet to do a head job on a 4.2td 24v toyota....they just go and go.....yawn. As previous mentioned they have the road manners of a boat.....just a big tank.

Heads were never a problem on the 4.2 Big end bearings were the main reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 blacksmokebilly

Anyone that recommends anything but a landcruiser is talking poo. These machines are bomb proof and only need an oil filter and oil change, air and fuel if you like clean emmissions etc. Can be rough on tires depending on driving style.

<snip> No need for comments like that </snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have a 03 disco com, lovely to drive lots of extras on it.

it has done 110,000 miles and has cost me no money.

i had a 99 defender and the head went on it ,cost me E1500.

Advertisement