Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy Collard Greens in Dublin?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

The usual supermarkets in Dublin don't seem to stock Collard greens, but they get mentioned so often in recipes and lists of high-calcium foods, I'd like to try them.

Anyone know where I might find them on a regular basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Moved to Food and Drink

Hopefully you'll get some answers here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭dorothygale

It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, Mama's cookin' up some collard greens!

Sorry, this is all I got.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Collards, also called collard greens, are vegetables that are members of the cabbage family. Because of this, they have a taste that is similar to cabbage and kale

they might have some in Fallon & Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Tazzer wrote: »
    they might have some in Fallon & Byrne?
    I'm just back from Fallon & Byrne, and NOPE, no Collard greens!
    They told me they sometimes have them so I'll keep an eye out over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Collards

Rancid - did you ever manage to find Collard Greens at Fallon & Byrne in the end? I was *addicted* to this vegetable when living in the U.S. - and have been devastated by its absence on the Irish shelves since returning home 3 years ago. Nothing can compare to it - kale, swiss chard, cabbage all float my boat.....but nothing delivers like the collards do.

• Advertisement

Collards wrote: »
    Rancid - did you ever manage to find Collard Greens at Fallon & Byrne in the end? I was *addicted* to this vegetable when living in the U.S. - and have been devastated by its absence on the Irish shelves since returning home 3 years ago. Nothing can compare to it - kale, swiss chard, cabbage all float my boat.....but nothing delivers like the collards do.
    Sad to say, Fallon and Byrne had none and I had no success finding this veg anywhere else, either. :(
    This year I've bought seeds and will try to grow some instead, so wish me luck!

Rancid wrote: »
    Sad to say, Fallon and Byrne had none and I had no success finding this veg anywhere else, either. :(
    This year I've bought seeds and will try to grow some instead, so wish me luck!

Where did you find the seeds?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Where did you find the seeds?
    I couldn't find them anywhere here and ended up buying them online from this site:
    www.chilternseeds.co.uk

I set them about 4 or 5 days ago, they *should* germinate sometime next week. Hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Joy1

The usual supermarkets in Dublin don't seem to stock Collard greens, but they get mentioned so often in recipes and lists of high-calcium foods, I'd like to try them.

Anyone know where I might find them on a regular basis?

I'm from the American South and I'm raising my hybrid child here in sunny Dublin. Kale and Collards are extremely close in taste, texture and cooking times, but they are not the same. Both originally came from Eastern Europe, Western Asia and Africa. Both are thick leaved, have a very tough centre spine on leaves that are usually cut away before cooking, and take awhile to cook. More than asian cabbage/bok choy/pok choi, European cabbage or swiss chard. They differ in the amount of "curl" and taste. Collards are flat leafed and usually dark green and have a slightly MILDER flavour than kale. Both can be cooked with ham joints to add salt and flavour. Or do as I do and cook them alone in boiling water until they are soft (to suit your preference), then drain and add a small amount of sesame oil and a bit of salt, while still in hot in the pot, and stir. The oil adds "mouth appeal" and can be omitted if you prefer, but I grew up with my mother using something called "fatback", which is just salted pork skin with a thick layer of fat still attached. It added a meaty taste, salt and smoothness; all things enjoyed in many Southern foods.

We always had collards served with a bit of vinegar (apple cider), but I prefer it without. The sesame oil adds a bit of the meaty flavour I miss and keeps it healthier. The closest I've come here is Kale, which we do eat regularly!

IMPORTANT: Collards and Kale both have a different flavour once they've had a frost touch their leaves, while still growing on the plant. Some prefer it (I do) as it becomes a bit milder after the frost. Growing up, we never picked collards from our vegetable garden until after the first eagerly-awaited frost!

If you have to have pure collards, check with the owners of Get Fresh in Rathfarnham (near the shopping centre). That's where I get my grits (large milled cornmeal/polenta) and other delicacies I miss from home and Asia. If they don't have it and can't find it, you can't get it here. They really go the extra mile for their customers and their knowledge, regarding foods from the American South and Asia, is brilliant.

Bon Appetite! :pac:

Joy1 wrote: »
    I'm from the American South and I'm raising my hybrid child here in sunny Dublin. Kale and Collards are extremely close in taste, texture and cooking times, but they are not the same. Both originally came from Eastern Europe, Western Asia and Africa. Both are thick leaved, have a very tough centre spine on leaves that are usually cut away before cooking, and take awhile to cook. More than asian cabbage/bok choy/pok choi, European cabbage or swiss chard. They differ in the amount of "curl" and taste. Collards are flat leafed and usually dark green and have a slightly MILDER flavour than kale. Both can be cooked with ham joints to add salt and flavour. Or do as I do and cook them alone in boiling water until they are soft (to suit your preference), then drain and add a small amount of sesame oil and a bit of salt, while still in hot in the pot, and stir. The oil adds "mouth appeal" and can be omitted if you prefer, but I grew up with my mother using something called "fatback", which is just salted pork skin with a thick layer of fat still attached. It added a meaty taste, salt and smoothness; all things enjoyed in many Southern foods.

We always had collards served with a bit of vinegar (apple cider), but I prefer it without. The sesame oil adds a bit of the meaty flavour I miss and keeps it healthier. The closest I've come here is Kale, which we do eat regularly!

IMPORTANT: Collards and Kale both have a different flavour once they've had a frost touch their leaves, while still growing on the plant. Some prefer it (I do) as it becomes a bit milder after the frost. Growing up, we never picked collards from our vegetable garden until after the first eagerly-awaited frost!

If you have to have pure collards, check with the owners of Get Fresh in Rathfarnham (near the shopping centre). That's where I get my grits (large milled cornmeal/polenta) and other delicacies I miss from home and Asia. If they don't have it and can't find it, you can't get it here. They really go the extra mile for their customers and their knowledge, regarding foods from the American South and Asia, is brilliant.

Bon Appetite! :pac:
    Thanks, delighted to read your reply!

I gave up on finding the collards, and then gave up on trying to grow them! I got a tiny crop, then ate the lot in 2 meals.
    They didn't thrive which annoyed me lots because I can successfully grow other veg.

I like the suggestion for sesame oil and salt and will try that out if/when I next get my hands on some collards. :)

I'll take a trip to Get Fresh soon and check with them, I'd be delighted to find a continuous source.

Thanks for the info. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭castlewhite

Sorry, to disapoint but there is nobody growing them commercially in Leinster (cany speak for rest of Ireland), as well as the other greens mentioned you could try nero cabbage or red kale.

Thanks, delighted to read your reply!

I gave up on finding the collards, and then gave up on trying to grow them! I got a tiny crop, then ate the lot in 2 meals.
    They didn't thrive which annoyed me lots because I can successfully grow other veg.

I like the suggestion for sesame oil and salt and will try that out if/when I next get my hands on some collards. :)

I'll take a trip to Get Fresh soon and check with them, I'd be delighted to find a continuous source.

Thanks for the info. :)

You are very welcome.

I stopped looking a few years ago and just substitute kale. I use the same Toasted Sesame Oil, which can be easily found in Super Quinn or Super Value. Toasted Sesame oil has a nuttier flavour than the plain type.

Collards are pretty hardy plants, but the amount of moisture in the soil here (and air too!) may be a problem. They aren't really potted plants, either. They also get eaten by every garden bug I've ever known, so we always had to use some heavy-duty bug repellent (7-Dust, if you have to know, and it was not exactly organic.) Btw, you can add uncooked cornmeal or flour dumplings on top while cooking kale or collards and the steam and juices from the greens make them very tasty.

If you find some collards, please let me know! Thanks for bringing back some very good memories. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Sorry O/T but Joy do you know if Get Fresh would stock grits in other shops or is it a special order for Rathfarnham? I could get over that way some time but it is a bit out of the way. Also, are the expensive? Usually just use polenta but it's not the same.:(

Orphiopogon: I didn't do a very good job answering your questions so I'll try again! The Get Fresh in Rathfarnham is not affiliated with the chain Get Fresh in Ireland. They used to be, but they broke away wanting to offer more variety (so one of the owners told me) than being under the franchise allowed, so they use different suppliers. It wouldn't hurt to ask your local Get Fresh if they do or can get what you are looking for!

I don't have my packaging for the large milled polenta, because I store it in plastic (keeps fresh years!), but I think it is 500g for a couple of €. If you go out of your way, I'd call them first and ask if they are in stock, then buy in bulk!

Get Fresh
    Unit 6 Rosemount Shopping Centre
    Marian Road
    Rathfarnham, Dublin 14
    (01) 4937148
    Hours: Mon-Sun 8:30 - 18:00

**I am in no way affiliated with these gentlemen. I'm just a customer who is impressed by their quality, knowledge, and costumer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Is grits not just polenta?

You can get that in any decent supermarket or health shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Joy1 wrote: »
    I'm from the American South and I'm raising my hybrid child here in sunny Dublin. ...
    Failte roibh o Americea. How does a hybrid child work - does s/he run on electricity AND on Taytos and Club Orange? :)

Your observations about the collard greens are spot on. There are country people here who still won't eat any of the brassicas until they've had that first crucial touch of frost (even if the plants are imported!). That little bit of a chill seems to tone down the "sulphery" smell and taste and add that touch of sweetness that makes them so moreish.

As sources of iron and other trace-elements it's hard to beat them - we won't mention the digestive processes involved for politeness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TBoneMan

If you go into "Asian Market" in Dublin or "Jia Jia" in Cork they have asian greens. I'm not talking about pak choi etc these are stewing greens & I believe one of them is Collard Greens...i call it "KA NA" which is the Thai name...the chinese is something like "LANYAI" ... try them .. its worth a shot... they get freshly imported twice weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NiaDublin

Hi All,

I found Collard greens in the Temple bar market, at the MacNally family farm stall (they have FB and twitter profile). As far as I know they don't sell them on a regular basis, but if they had them this week, they will possibly have them for some more weeks. Check it out!

Advertisement