Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Green on BBC 4

Options
  • 08-05-2009 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up :)

Peter Green: Man of the World
    The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as the lead guitarist of Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, his former bandmates and the musician himself. Part of Blues Britannia
    Category General Arts/Culture
    Director Steve Graham
    Producer Justin Ardalan-Raikes, Dougie Dudgeon, Henry Haddaway
    Writer Steve Graham
    BBC4 9:30pm-11:00pm (1 hour 30 minutes) Fri 8 May

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Brilliant, Thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Awesome! Wonderful talent and such a nice fella, real pity what happened and indeed why it happened - talent to burn but not getting him to where he wanted to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 randy lug

yeah it was a really cool documentary, great guitarist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Saw the Peter Green Splinter Group in U.L. a few years ago, brilliant show and I met the man afterwards and got his autograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bump this on again tonight at 9 pm BBC4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Very good documentary - well worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Saw it myself, oddly enough I've been binging on the old Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac blues records for the last couple of weeks and the documentary just ended up falling into place at the right time. Great to see it, huge fan for a while, seen him in the Olympia last summer too, great gig, could've went to the Holloween gig at the Academy in 2009 but it was more of a last minute plan than anything else so I didn't bother, but my dad did. Dragonfly and Oh Well are up the with some of my favourites.

*points at sig*

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Its on again at 1.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Went to see him in Galway last year.

But he wasn't really there.

His rhythm guitarist/vocalist carried the show almost the entire night for him. (sorry guy, can't remember your name, but you were pretty good)

Peter smiled a bit, moved his mic stand 350 times, mumbled something incoherent about Dylan and played a passable version of Albatross.

saddened me more than anything else, loved his music

He has his good and bad days to be honest. My father told me the Holloween 2009 show was a good show for him. Didn't really speak as much, but played quite a bit. The time I saw him he wasn't there for the first three songs, wasn't entirely happy with his guitar and kept on trying to retune it, after the road crew changed his guitar he was dandy.

Played what he could and made me smile by going from "Oh Well Part 1" straight into "Albatross", which was rather magical. Had a friend who went to see him in Cork and said Peter was in a simular humour to that. It varies I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

fair comment, nailz.

We might've just been an unlucky audience that night. He seemed in good enough humour, but he was being totally carried by his side man.
    I've since read reviews of similar experiences to mine, but I'm happy to accept he had good nights too.

Ah yes, but you should never really expect much from that gig to be honest, sure all things considering Peter Green had been suffering from a serious mental illness throughout the 70's and 80's, I know he's only 64, but he looks a lot older than that. I can't say that I expected him to be standing up and having good conversations with the front row.

Basically, what I got from the show was all I expected and more, I saw one of the best British Rhythm and Blues guitarists of all time, a true legend, playing some really good blues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Nailz wrote: »
    Ah yes, but you should never really expect much from that gig to be honest, sure all things considering Peter Green had been suffering from a serious mental illness throughout the 70's and 80's, I know he's only 64, but he looks a lot older than that. I can't say that I expected him to be standing up and having good conversations with the front row.

Basically, what I got from the show was all I expected and more, I saw one of the best British Rhythm and Blues guitarists of all time, a true legend, playing some really good blues.

Yeah thats pretty much the way he is these days, I seen him in the Village back in the late 90's and he was quite subdued, Nigel Watson and Neil Murray
    had to prop him up at times to stop him falling over :D, was a really good gig though and great to be so close to a guitar legend!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I saw this and I thought it was fascinating and also very sad, Green is a hugely talented guy, and I love Fleetwood Mac, I also must get some more of his stuff.

Advertisement