Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mothballing a car: do you still need to pay tax?

Options
  • 08-05-2009 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

My question is basically written on the thread title. When my insurance expires later this year I'm not going to renew it and will instead mothball the car. What do I need to do vis-a-vis motor tax? Obviously I don't want to pay tax if the car isn't in use.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Nope you don't need to pay tax. If it's off the road and uninsured then make sure you keep it somewhere very safe as you won't be covered if it's stolen or damaged. Also invest in a car cover to keep it clean and help keep the moisture out. Cars get crusty pretty quick when not in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

As long as it is parked on private property no problem. Go to the tax office and tell them your plans and I think you will need a letter stamped by the guards to say its been off the road when you decide to retax it. Your insurance is a bigger problem Id say as you would have to start from scratch again and have no N.B.C. There may be ways to avoid this though Im not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

O.A.P wrote: »
    As long as it is parked on private property no problem.

Indeed. It hast to be off the (public) road.

Go to the tax office and tell them your plans

You don't have to do anything. Yet. Just let the tax expire and you'll get some standard motor tax renewal reminder letters. After about 2 months you get a letter asking you to declare it permantly off the road. Fill it in, sign it and send it back.

If in future you want it back on the road, go to a Garda station and fill in the form declaring when it was off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. It hast to be off the (public) road.

You don't have to do anything. Yet. Just let the tax expire and you'll get some standard motor tax renewal reminder letters. After about 2 months you get a letter asking you to declare it permantly off the road. Fill it in, sign it and send it back.

If in future you want it back on the road, go to a Garda station and fill in the form declaring when it was off the road.

I have not taxed my car for about 6 months and have never received any letter sayng I need to declare it permanantly off the road. I did receive a letter daying that i would be reported to the police for not having tax though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

*Kol* wrote: »
    I have not taxed my car for about 6 months and have never received any letter sayng I need to declare it permanantly off the road. I did receive a letter daying that i would be reported to the police for not having tax though.

I mothballed a car a while ago, and I kept getting same scary letters, had to tell them twice before they stopped the letters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Frank_Gooding

When you blow the dust off the car get a tax renewal form and you can decalre the car as out of use for the time, go to Gardai station and get it signed and stamped by them.

Did this a few times when I worked abroad.

the gardai don't need any proof just your word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

As long as it is parked on private property no problem. Go to the tax office and tell them your plans and I think you will need a letter stamped by the guards to say its been off the road when you decide to retax it. Your insurance is a bigger problem Id say as you would have to start from scratch again and have no N.B.C. There may be ways to avoid this though Im not sure.

NCB is valid for two years from the date insurance ends.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As above, keep it off the public road and it will be ok and can confirm that your NCB is valid up to 2 years from the date that your last policy ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

NCB is valid for two years from the date insurance ends.
    Thanks for that I was,nt sure but presumed they would try to screw you if they got a half chance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement