Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you feel about downloading music?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

theres a bizzare loophole in ireland,when the artists come here to perform,they do not pay tax,unlike the rest of europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Can't afford CDs so I download.
    If I could afford CDs I'd probably buy them for the novelty of actually having a physical copy, even if all I really do it browse the artwork that accompanies and rip to FLAC.

I'm aware I could download as FLAC but it's rare to find music in that quality without spending a lot of time looking, and I'd far prefer to have the physical copy anyway.

local record shop near me is offering people to trade in their cds/dvds for cash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ciansgirl

I love buying CD's of Artists i really love lik Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers but other artists that i might only like a couple songs i dont c the point in spending money on the intire album!! waste of money really!!:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

ciansgirl wrote: »
    I love buying CD's of Artists i really love lik Miley Cyrus and The Jonas Brothers but other artists that i might only like a couple songs i dont c the point in spending money on the intire album!! waste of money really!!:p:p
    ............................ehhhh.......................I see:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

If I'm recommended a song/album/artist/band/etc. I'll use Frostwire to see if I like it. I'll buy the CD if I do.

Torrents are also good for hard-to-find albums, but these tend to have few seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

I like the idea that if you wanted to see what an artist or an album was like, you *could* download it off the bay or something. Not condoning anything but...

I also think there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as there's internet there's going to be illegal downloads.

sometimes its just pure bollix acting from the record companies and their lawyers that make people to turn to illegal downloads,for instance,some dvd boxsets of tv shows would be missing a certain track or scene because it featured a copyright thing so people might download the one from torrent site that was broadcasted in its orginal form on tv,othertimes its just the movie/album is out of print,for instance the beatles final movie "let it be" is out of print,it cant be got anywhere legally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

I download due to being a cheapskate.Plus living in Letterkenny I can never find what i wat to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭tolteq

li@mo wrote: »
    You might want to add.....without paying........to your above post

i must be a dumbass. dont get it.

tolteq wrote: »
    i must be a dumbass. dont get it.
    There are ways to legally download music online, for a price, OP's post originally didn't mention that he was talking about downloading music for free (as in, illegally)

That said, there's tons of ways to legally download free music as well, such as Jamendo, but generally only for smaller, independent bands.

Teutorix wrote: »
    LOL "Jamendo" i can rape there servers with a tiny piece of javascript, i can get any song that they have with out paying.
    <snip> Watch the abuse</snip> ANYONE can get any song they have without paying, that's the whole point, they have clearly labelled download links on every band/album page, and also have a bit-torrent tracker should you prefer to torrent the album rather than use the direct download link they provide.
    Sorry if you feel less special now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

Pygmalion wrote: »
    ANYONE can get any song they have without paying, that's the whole point, they have clearly labelled download links on every band/album page, and also have a bit-torrent tracker should you prefer to torrent the album rather than use the direct download link they provide.
    Sorry if you feel less special now.
    woops i was thinking of magnatune lol

I tend to get the two mixed up :p

woops i was thinking of magnatune lol

I tend to get the two mixed up :p
    Can't say I haven't gotten them mixed up myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

BitTorrent ftw

Who doesn't love free stuff?

• Advertisement

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    BitTorrent ftw

μtorrent is much more reliable and stable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Bittorrent is a protocol.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    BitTorrent ftw

μtorrent is much more reliable and stable
    JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Bittorrent is a protocol.....
    May have just been crossed wires.

I think Dj Stiggie was refering to the protocol and Teutorix refering to the client.

<snip> no linking to illegal download sites please</snip>

yeah, i think we all got a little mixed up there lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No more linking to illegal download sites or torrents, please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

No more linking to illegal download sites or torrents, please!
    What illegal download sites?

Jonathan wrote: »
    somebody posted a link to a site that rips mp3s from myspace

somebody posted a link to a site that rips mp3s from myspace
    Why was my post snipped then?

Why was my post snipped then?
    Dunno, bittorrent's site is neither illegal or a download site :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Dunno, bittorrent's site is neither illegal or a download site :confused:

But it facilitates the ability to download internet files that can be copyrighted material which is illegal.

Stev_o wrote: »
    But it facilitates the ability to download internet files that can be copyrighted material which is illegal.
    ZOMG!!!!1111eleven

Lets get rid of portable harddrives. It can be used to facilitate the transmission of copyrighted material.

Get a grip.

Bittorrent, as a protocol, is ingenious. It is NOT illegal.

Are you guys serious, yes it's possible to download music/films/games using bittorrent clients.
    It's also used to download tons of legal stuff, and many people, such as me, use it for these purposes.
    I'm kind of shocked that linking to the BitTorrent site was considered to be linking to an "illegal download site or torrent".

I guarantee that illegal downloads>legal downloads in bittorrent.

I guarantee that illegal downloads>legal downloads in bittorrent.
    So what?

Still doesn't mean it should be banned.

So what?

Still doesn't mean it should be banned.

Hmm because therefore the chances are extremely high that when it is being linked it's intended purpose was to aid people in downloading illegal files.

Your not telling me someone posted a link in the How do you feel about downloading music? to help them download legal files such as massive patches to a game are you? Seems a bit out of place wouldn't you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Hmm because therefore the chances are extremely high that when it is being linked it's intended purpose was to aid people in downloading illegal files.

Your not telling me someone posted a link in the How do you feel about downloading music? to help them download legal files such as massive patches to a game are you? Seems a bit out of place wouldn't you agree?

Linking to a website which contains both legal and illegal files does not really implicate the linker. They aren't compelling the person to whom they have given the link to break the law, even if their actions have presented that opportunity. A person gives someone directions to a nightclub. At this nightclub some people are dealing drugs, but not everyone. Is the person who gives directions culpable for the people dealing drugs?

Baza210 wrote: »
    Linking to a website which contains both legal and illegal files does not really implicate the linker. They aren't compelling the person to whom they have given the link to break the law, even if their actions have presented that opportunity. A person gives someone directions to a nightclub. At this nightclub some people are dealing drugs, but not everyone. Is the person who gives directions culpable for the people dealing drugs?

So you still think then that the poster who linked it had different intentions other then supply information for people to illegally download music in a thread about that very subject?

Na, I'm helping others to listen to legal music, for example, music from the south by southwest festival.
    I'm also impartial to a bit of Nine Inch Nails.

Do you understand how bittorrent works? Do you see why is advantagous over other protocols such as http?

It is also a nice feeling giving something back to Open Source community.
    bittorrent_thumb.png

You want to ban all of this?

You MONSTER! :eek:

10kb upload? Feeling generous today, are you?

10kb upload? Feeling generous today, are you?
    Unlimited up. Not many peers today.

So you still think then that the poster who linked it had different intentions other then supply information for people to illegally download music in a thread about that very subject?

If you want to be pedantic, this thread's subject is about Downloading Music, not specifically Illegally Downloading Music. The OP does state that it is illegal, but I hope that their perceptions have been since righted. There's plenty of music out there available to download perfectly legally and freely.

If you want to be pedantic, this thread's subject is about Downloading Music, not specifically Illegally Downloading Music. The OP does state that it is illegal, but I hope that their perceptions have been since righted. There's plenty of music out there available to download perfectly legally and freely.

And where can you legally download music using bittorrent then.

Umm, bittorrent tracker websites that have links to freely released music?

And where can you legally download music using bittorrent then.
    Selective reading?
    Na, I'm helping others to listen to legal music, for example, music from the south by southwest festival.
    I'm also impartial to a bit of Nine Inch Nails.

• Advertisement

Selective reading?

All coming from a site that is extremely biased towards pro torrent downloading.

All coming from a site that is extremely biased towards pro torrent downloading.
    No shit.
    Look at the name of the fucking site....

I doubt you are going to find much about rapidshare downloads on a torrent site... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bella21

if its something i really want then i wouldn't mind paying. but if i wasn't really bothered either way then i wouldn't see i problem with it because....
    If you didn't really want it, and so didn't pay you may not know what you're missing and find out you do like it. So the artist gets their music out there. They may not have gotten any money for it, but if you like it you may decide to get some of their back catalogue/future music.
    IMO anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

A few links have been deleted because there are complicated legal issues. Even if the site itself is legal, it is used to facilitate illegal downloading, and to the best of my knowledge the general policy on Boards is to not allow links to sites which could be associated with piracy/torrents/illegal downloads.

You can still discuss these sites but for now I'm asking you not to link to them.

Now please get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

Look at sig to view my stance :P

I'm definitely pro-downloading. If I like the album, I'll buy it. Same for movies etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

A few links have been deleted because there are complicated legal issues. Even if the site itself is legal, it is used to facilitate illegal downloading, and to the best of my knowledge the general policy on Boards is to not allow links to sites which could be associated with piracy/torrents/illegal downloads.

You can still discuss these sites but for now I'm asking you not to link to them.
    Yup, Boards policy. I don't agree with it, but I didn't make the rule...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Back on topic (sort of).
    Pirate Party got a seat in the European Parliament with more Swedish under 30s voting for them than any other party.
    I think it's clear what most young people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

blubloblu wrote: »
    Back on topic (sort of).
    Pirate Party got a seat in the European Parliament with more Swedish under 30s voting for them than any other party.
    I think it's clear what most young people think.

They'll get 2 if the Lisbon Treaty comes into effect.
    I think they got 3rd or 4th Among 30-40 also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I think it's great, I was in HMV there recently and they were having a sale - 25% off woo and I'm thinking if they were giving it away free I still wouldn't take any - just dust collectors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 TazPenny

Looking for somebody to come on radio on the national broadcaster to give their views and opinions on pro illegal downloading? Any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm sure you'll find loads here only too willing to give their opinions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement