Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you feel about downloading music?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Haven't read the thread in full but I only download albums by artists that are dead (e.g. Frank Zappa). I always put myself in the shoes of the artist in question. I mean, I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't receiving some money for my work.

In saying that, CDs are terribly overpriced and not enough money goes to the artist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Monzo wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread in full but I only download albums by artists that are dead (e.g. Frank Zappa). I always put myself in the shoes of the artist in question. I mean, I'd be pretty pissed if I wasn't receiving some money for my work.

In saying that, CDs are terribly overpriced and not enough money goes to the artist...

Believe most artists are getting the bare bones from CD sales, they make their income through touring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Yep, I think I read somewhere that a CD going for about €12 will only earn the artist one euro of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

While I love having the physical item in my hands and have a fair amount of CDs and vinyl, y'know like it's a recession :P I don't feel at all like a criminal for effing some record exec, or Bob Dylan, or Beck or Karen O out of a couple of quid, but if I had the money I'd deffo buy the CD instead, and I go to as many gigs as I can afford, so frankly they can eff off

I, for one, am very sad that a certain pirate bay will be gone (basically) come August.:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Zamzar is the next best thing :D:D
    When it works on your computar.. feck this one I have to use my sisters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

P2Ps suck and torrents suck

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Limewire is a stupid and dangerous technology, torrenting is much safer, but I don't do that kind of thing, I like to own the box and the art work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Limewire is a stupid and dangerous technology, torrenting is much safer, but I don't do that kind of thing, I like to own the box and the art work...

I feel the exact same, I love having a physical copy of an album. The only albums I have, but not on CD, are albums that you can't buy anywhere. Mostly electronic stuff and lesser known bands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

torrents arent safe either,it all leaves a trail,depending on what you get too,some would have trojans/viruses etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jay P wrote: »
    I feel the exact same, I love having a physical copy of an album. The only albums I have, but not on CD, are albums that you can't buy anywhere. Mostly electronic stuff and lesser known bands.

The thrill of having the physical CD doesnt really outweigh the hassle and cost of buying the damn thing, also due to the sheer volume of music I tend to download, I just dont have space for it all (I probably could afford to pay for it all, but eating/going out would have to stop and I'd need a third job!)
    Fred83 wrote: »
    torrents arent safe either,it all leaves a trail,depending on what you get too,some would have trojans/viruses etc...

He said they're safer, because frankly, they are. It all depends on where you source them from. That's part of the reason the closing of The Pirate Bay didnt bother me hugely, you'd have to fairly stupid to go near most of the stuff on there, it's open to so much abuse.

But I don't think you understand... If you can't afford to buy them and continue with your normal lifestyle then you're not supposed to have them. If you came on and said "oh, I would buy my own bike, but I have to spend all my money on going out, so I just thiefed from the local store", you'd be viewed in a much more serious light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

But I don't think you understand... If you can't afford to buy them and continue with your normal lifestyle then you're not supposed to have them.

That makes total sense.
    It's a similar argument that's used for health care in certain countries.

But I don't think you understand... If you can't afford to buy them and continue with your normal lifestyle then you're not supposed to have them. If you came on and said "oh, I would buy my own bike, but I have to spend all my money on going out, so I just thiefed from the local store", you'd be viewed in a much more serious light.

There's more to it than that :)

But in short, I'm quite content to steal it. I most certainly wouldnt equate music with any other product though, it comes with a different set of baggage.

mikom wrote: »
    That makes total sense.
    It's a similar argument that's used for health care in certain countries.
    I'm sorry, did you just equate your health and well being with listening to a few songs as a form of entertainment... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, did you just equate your health and well being with listening to a few songs as a form of entertainment... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry did you just equate stealing an mp3 file to stealing a bike :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,323 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

'You wouldn't download a car'

'**** you, I would if I could!'

Like art, the appreciation of music goes beyond money. I've put on quite a few exhibitions myself and get a kick out of seeing people appreciate the work I have made. If they wish to take a photo as a 'copy' I have no problem with that, it doesn't cost me anything. Better someone appreciate my work than not.

I feel the same about music. If you're a real musician you'll get joy from people appreciating your art. End of. Nobody >needs< to be a millionare.

I spend a fortune on concert tickets as it is. So in a way, that's how I 'contribute' to their art.

Balls to cds taking up unessessary space and ball to paying for music.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I think its like do you mind where you get certain products from, as long as your getting a good deal.

If I saw a cool top for 5euro that could have been made in a sweatshop and one like it for 12euro someplace else that paid their manufacturers fairley.. I'd still go for the cheap one, even if I dont agree with how the people were paid. Maybe I jsut dont have a conscience... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭DD

I never cared, I just want my music, even sometimes I dont even have time to listen all :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

I don't buy cd's anymore...i download just about everything. Having said that if I really like a band i'll buy the cd, even if I already have the download, just to give the band a turn.

I only do this for up and coming bands though because I figure if they don't get the album sales they won't be coming back...case in point Frightened Rabbits "Midnight Organ Fight". I only bought the cd last week and I've had the mp3 version for yonks...I've listened to it loads so why not?

Anybody here familiar with lastfm will know of the group "I still buy cd's"....51,310 members and growing everyday. I'd say 70% of this group don't buy cd's at all and simply join it to make themselves look cool/retro. Fact.

I do still buy cds, but just nearly as often, there's a couple of bands whose stuff I almost collect, but generally I just download stuff.

I will be buying Suicide Season Cut Up the day it comes out, and probably the newest Fightstar album at the gig if go.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Considering I paid for about €100 worth of music on iTunes, only to find that when I reformated I was to lose it all with no redownoad available at all, from know on I will either be buying CD's or not paying at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

zoom! wrote: »
    Considering I paid for about €100 worth of music on iTunes, only to find that when I reformated I was to lose it all with no redownoad available at all, from know on I will either be buying CD's or not paying at all.

horror story! that's terrible!

My friends brother lost 35,000 songs on his computer before with a virus from limewire. He had downloaded them all illegaly so he didn't lose a penny but he still had to redownload all those cd's. I'd cry tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Fad wrote: »
    I do still buy cds, but just nearly as often, there's a couple of bands whose stuff I almost collect, but generally I just download stuff.

I will be buying Suicide Season Cut Up the day it comes out, and probably the newest Fightstar album at the gig if go.

+1 on the buying CD's from small bands

Took me awhile to really love Be Human. I downloaded when it leaked and thought while good it was very different. Still bought it on release day.

Quite looking forward to that gig though. I've never seen them live before because of reason or another, the setlists have been pretty interesting lately too.

Craguls wrote: »
    +1 on the buying CD's from small bands

Took me awhile to really love Be Human. I downloaded when it leaked and thought while good it was very different. Still bought it on release day.

Quite looking forward to that gig though. I've never seen them live before because of reason or another, the setlists have been pretty interesting lately too.

Saw them on the Kerrang Tour, they were good (Set had a lot of tech problems though). Would have liked to have seen them in The Academy 2 (Never been down there!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

Fad wrote: »
    Saw them on the Kerrang Tour, they were good (Set had a lot of tech problems though). Would have liked to have seen them in The Academy 2 (Never been down there!)

I was there for the Trinner's Freshers ball last Tuesday it's seriously tiny, about half the size of the Academy at best. Would've been really cool for an acoustic set alas if I get Lost Like Tears in Rain I'll be a very very happy camper.

On a more On topic note; I don't usually download but the amount of new stuff I've been discovering lately it's hard to find the money to keep buying cds. That said if I like something I'd always try to go to the gig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I chucked all my CD's in the bin a while ago - dust collecters and space taker uppers, last one I bought though must have been near 10 years ago,

Download everything - with a decent connection you can get pretty much any album in 10 minutes so you can consider your album collection to be huge, you don't even have to store the mp3's just download again when you want to listen to it again.

Advertisement