Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to a nightclub on your own?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh no, of course not, it's perfectly normal!

<_<

>_>

*runs*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

lil bit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

It's a bit creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Heading to the local pub on your own is ok, methinks. Night club? Weird..

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

what would you do when you get in there.. stand at the railing and look at people?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Worst case scenario if someone finds out that you're flying solo for the night, just say you came with friends but lost them on the dancefloor.

Imaginary ones ofcourse, because only people with no friends would have to go on their lonesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Depends on your reason for going.

If you like dancing, then you're gay ok.
    If it's for drinks/drugs, then you may have a problem.
    If it's for wimmen, it could be viewed as sleazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

On your tobler? Nah just get really really drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭chrism2007

theres always one tosser who seems to be there by himself.

always a dodgy looking fooker that stares up other peoples missus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Yeah it's pretty weird alright. I wouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Terry wrote: »

If you like dancing, then you're gay[/gay] ok.
    If it's for drinks/drugs, then you may have a problem.
    Jaysus I hope the catholic church never figures out how to use those [/gay] tags.

Jaysus I hope the catholic church never figures out how to use those [/gay] tags.
    Damn you, Bollocko.
    You caught me before I made the stealth edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    Imaginary ones of course, because only people with no friends would have to go on their lonesome.
    They're studying.
    Xyo wrote: »
    what would you do when you get in there.. stand at the railing and look at people?
    Yeah sounds good for a tenner.
    How so? I'm not going to be groping them. Just rubbing up against them whilst dancing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Sir Henry's in Cork years ago, there was this old guy there EVERY Saturday night. Just staring at the wimmin all night long. Creepy guy so he was. And that club is famed for beautiful wans (among other things) in very, very short skirts. He's a bit of a legend today, as is Sir Henry's.

Is that you OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

K4t wrote: »
    There's nothing weird about it, is there?
    Well yeah it's unusual - you surely know that though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Dudess wrote: »
    Well yeah it's unusual - you surely know that though?
    No, that's why I'm asking. See what others think. I do usually go with my friends but we often get seperated in their anyway so what's the difference going on my own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'd see it as a bit odd. What if you got tired of dancing? You'd just be standing at the bar by yourself/sitting down by yourself. Most of the craic of going to a nightclub is going with your friends.

Meh, if you're happy to be alone, who cares what others think...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Kinda sad to be honest.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

@Dudess: The OP apparently if they're asking us.

Are you one of these people who go to the cinema alone too?:p

I suppose some people are just more comfortable in their own company than others. Personally I prefer going out with a group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Meh, if you're happy to be alone, who cares what others think...

How would you know anyway if you're alone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Depends on the night, if it was somewhere like copper faced jacks then it would be weird, but if there was a specific DJ/Band playing a club well then I dont think its weird at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭O'Coonassa

No weirder than going to the pub on your own really IMO I suppose it might be a bit different in the big shmoke where the places are full of strangers. But sure you'd get chatting to them just as handy I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Just after been talking to the brother-in-law (he's a door man in a well known nite club in Dublin) oh and he's one of the nice door-men, anyways, he was just saying that lots of people go on their own, but apparently you only dance if you've pulled, otherwise people will think your weird if your dancing alone!:D

@Dudess: The OP apparently if they're asking us.
    Yeah but what we think doesn't matter if he enjoys it. If he really likes it, a bunch of strangers on the internet should surely not stop him...
    Oh yeah I've done so. Cinema - one of the most anti-social things there is. Could never understand the necessity for accompaniment.
    I suppose some people are just more comfortable in their own company than others. Personally I prefer going out with a group.
    Me too - I'd never go to the pub, for dinner, a nightclub, on holidays... on my own, as I consider these group events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Nope, I'd feel really uncomfortable ann very vulnerable by myself.

Besides the whole point of clubbing for us, it too get a group of us girls and go out, dance just have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭chickenhawk

K4t wrote: »
    There's nothing weird about it, is there?

No friends??

I'm not offering to be your friend if you have none you have none for a reason. Just win the euromillions and you'll have many friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have only went into one on my own to meet people that were already there

[quote=Michellenman;60163929
    [/quote]

Going to the cinema by yourself is heaven on earth.

Nobody asking annoying questions because they can't be bothered paying attention to the plot.
    Or falling asleep on your shoulder, or convinceing you to attempt to film hop.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    if it was somewhere like copper faced jacks then it would be weird

Coppers is so jammers, and people are so available for conversation that it is the ideal place to do it.

I don't think it is wierd anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Rorate Caeli

You could meet somebody who really loves you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

hehe. This thread is hilarious. People are deliberately playing on your uncertainty. You have nothing to lose by going and could get an almighty shag/cuddle (ahem!) if you go. Just leave the ríomhaire now!

Most people are completely weird, particularly if they've bought property in the past four years when any normal person could tell them the market was going to collapse.

In fact, you can be certain that anybody on an internet talk forum on a Friday night is a complete sap/loner/weirdo.

There!

Oh yeah I've done so. Cinema - one of the most anti-social things there is. Could never understand the necessity for accompaniment.

Not the cinema.
    I bunked off school one day and went to the (now gone) cinema on Middle Abbey Street in Dublin. Can't remember hte name of it. I'm sure those familiar with Dublin will. Was on the South side of the street. Small place.

Anyway, some dude was watching me as I went in.
    I noticed him as he kept moving to different seats and gradually getting closer to me.
    I went to the toilet and he followed me in.
    I pushed past him, legged it out of the place and luckily enough there was a bus there.

Scary when you're 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bettee

Personally, I don't think its that weird. Unless you're there for stalking purposes, thats creepy. Most ppl thou only have a problem with going out on there own because jst because they don't have the confidence for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jimmy the Weed

I hate nightclubs to be honest, but I don't see why you couldn't go on your own. Let's face it, you're not going for the conversation are ye?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not like your going to be missing out on any fantasticly stimuating conversation that you'd otherwise be having if your mates were there as well though is it. What would you be doing if there with friends, standing around, drinking, shouting imcomprihesibly to some randomer of the opposite sex next to you. Sounds like things it's perfectly possible to do on your own really.

Just never admit to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Not the cinema.
    I bunked off school one day and went to the (now gone) cinema on Middle Abbey Street in Dublin. Can't remember hte name of it. I'm sure those familiar with Dublin will. Was on the South side of the street. Small place.

I noticed him as he kept moving to different seats and gradually getting closer to me.
    I pushed past him, legged it out of the place and luckily enough there was a bus there.

Scary when you're 14.

Old lighthouse cinema. Arty types, guaranteed buggering if you're not careful.

Not the cinema.

Scary when you're 14.

The Lighthouse cinema? It's now back and running in Smithfield, and arguably the nicest cinema in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Once I went to the cinema to see Role Models on my own during the afternoon. Not only was I on my own but I was the only person watching it during the screening! It's a pity that it wasn't a saucy film to squirt some discreet knuckle children over, perhaps next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go, and you stand on your own,
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home, and you cry
    And you want to die.

So you go, and you stand on your own,
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home, and you cry
    And you want to die.

And you secretly love the drama and the worst case scenarios that you imagined because it's all therapeutic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I dont think so. I will give an example. On my stags the second night in London me and a bunch of my mates were in a Nightclub. One of my mates took a panic attack, two days of copious amounts of alcohol, will do that. Anyway a buddy of mine took him out and put him in a taxi.

Turned around and realised he was lost. He found another nightclub, fell into it after pointing at the symbol on his hand and proceeded to walk around the club pointing at his hand mumbling because of his now drunkness to people "did they know where he should be?" You can imagine the answers he got.

He then bumped into some Albanian bloke and drank vodka with him. The Albanian tried to sell him some whores which my mate didnt like so he got one of the tuc tuc's where the guy runs 8 MILES back to Hotel. We were in stiches when he explained the story. Funny but not wierd!!

I hate nightclubs to be honest, but I don't see why you couldn't go on your own. Let's face it, you're not going for the conversation are ye?
    robinph wrote: »
    It's not like your going to be missing out on any fantasticly stimuating conversation that you'd otherwise be having if your mates were there as well though is it. What would you be doing if there with friends, standing around, drinking, shouting imcomprihesibly to some randomer of the opposite sex next to you. Sounds like things it's perfectly possible to do on your own really.

Just never admit to it.
    Both excellent points.
    The only thing is, nightclubs are crap anyway.
    I'm old.

humbert wrote: »
    Old lighthouse cinema. Arty types, guaranteed buggering if you're not careful.
    Rebelheart wrote: »
    The Lighthouse cinema? It's now back and running in Smithfield, and arguably the nicest cinema in Dublin.
    No. it wasn't the arty one.
    Was it the Carlton? Was that there or on O'Connell street?
    I think they were showing Ghostbusters 2 or something, so it definitely wasn't the arty one.

Edit: Ghostbusters 2 was '89, so that might have been what I went to see.

No. it wasn't the arty one.
    Was it the Carlton? Was that there or on O'Connell street?
    I think they were showing Ghostbusters 2 or something, so it definitely wasn't the arty one.

Edit: Ghostbusters 2 was '89, so that might have been what I went to see.

Yeah that's O'Connell St. Maybe the Lighthouse cinema wasn't arty back when old people were young.

Both excellent points.
    The only thing is, nightclubs are crap anyway.
    I'm old.
    The whole reason for going to a nightclub is probably just for more booze and/or chasing a member of the opposite sex. Its also about having a bit of criac with your friends whilst doing those things.

If you have the confidence to go on your own and try those things, fair enough, but i wouldnt fancy standing in the corner like a pleb with me mouth open.

They are ultimately crap, if you ever go to one sober, all you see are a bunch of fcuking slack jawed apes, dribbling around the place, they are not a nice place to be sober, which is a very sad indictment of the world we live in today. Thats why i only ever go to one when i'm totally gee-eyed.

No. I remember there being three cinemas on that street.
    The one that's still there (North side of the street) and the two on the South side.
    It only had one or two screens, but it definitely wasn't the arty one.

We're talking 20 years ago.
    Or 19. I can't really remember.

Yeah, Ghostbusters II was '89. Oh no actually it might have been '90. One or the other. There was a spate of "IIs" that time. I went to Back to the Future II and Gremlins II - good times.

The whole reason for going to a nightclub is probably just for more booze and/or chasing a member of the opposite sex. Its also about having a bit of criac with your friends whilst doing those things.

If you have the confidence to go on your own and try those things, fair enough, but i wouldnt fancy standing in the corner like a pleb with me mouth open.

They are ultimately crap, if you ever go to one sober, all you see are a bunch of fcuking slack jawed apes, dribbling around the place, they are not a nice place to be sober, which is a very sad indictment of the world we live in today. Thats why i only ever go to one when i'm totally gee-eyed.
    I don't think many people go there sober.

My last three visits ended with me getting a pint, drinking half of it and walking out.

humbert wrote: »
    Yeah that's O'Connell St. Maybe the Lighthouse cinema wasn't arty back when old people were young.

I saw Ken Loach's superb Land and Freedom (about the Spanish Civil War) in The Lighthouse on Middle Abbey Street in 1995-96 and that was probably considered arty then. It was called the Curzon Cinema before then.

The Beatles played in the Adelphi Cinema on Middle Abbey Street in, I think, 1963. You're not that old, Terry?

I don't think many people go there sober.

My last three visits ended with me getting a pint, drinking half of it and walking out.

Yep, i know the feeling, that extra pint seems like a good idea when you leave the pub.

However once you get into the nightclub and order your pint, you get the realisation that you're after paying upwards of 15 euro for admission into the nightclub and have to drink a pint that has been sitting in the pipes since last Saturday night.

Add into the equation that you cant hear yourself think, you dont know any of the music and everybody else is fcuking trollied.

Edit: Yes, i think this means i'm getting old!

I find it difficult to believe that anybody with the individuality to go to a night club on their own could actually enjoy a night club and there are better ways to meet girls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement