Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a nightclub on your own?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

hehe. This thread is hilarious. People are deliberately playing on your uncertainty. You have nothing to lose by going and could get an almighty shag/cuddle (ahem!) if you go. Just leave the ríomhaire now!

Most people are completely weird, particularly if they've bought property in the past four years when any normal person could tell them the market was going to collapse.

In fact, you can be certain that anybody on an internet talk forum on a Friday night is a complete sap/loner/weirdo.

There!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yeah I've done so. Cinema - one of the most anti-social things there is. Could never understand the necessity for accompaniment.

Not the cinema.
    I bunked off school one day and went to the (now gone) cinema on Middle Abbey Street in Dublin. Can't remember hte name of it. I'm sure those familiar with Dublin will. Was on the South side of the street. Small place.

Anyway, some dude was watching me as I went in.
    I noticed him as he kept moving to different seats and gradually getting closer to me.
    I went to the toilet and he followed me in.
    I pushed past him, legged it out of the place and luckily enough there was a bus there.

Scary when you're 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Bettee

Personally, I don't think its that weird. Unless you're there for stalking purposes, thats creepy. Most ppl thou only have a problem with going out on there own because jst because they don't have the confidence for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Jimmy the Weed

I hate nightclubs to be honest, but I don't see why you couldn't go on your own. Let's face it, you're not going for the conversation are ye?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's not like your going to be missing out on any fantasticly stimuating conversation that you'd otherwise be having if your mates were there as well though is it. What would you be doing if there with friends, standing around, drinking, shouting imcomprihesibly to some randomer of the opposite sex next to you. Sounds like things it's perfectly possible to do on your own really.

Just never admit to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Terry wrote: »
    Not the cinema.
    I bunked off school one day and went to the (now gone) cinema on Middle Abbey Street in Dublin. Can't remember hte name of it. I'm sure those familiar with Dublin will. Was on the South side of the street. Small place.

I noticed him as he kept moving to different seats and gradually getting closer to me.
    I pushed past him, legged it out of the place and luckily enough there was a bus there.

Scary when you're 14.

Old lighthouse cinema. Arty types, guaranteed buggering if you're not careful.

Not the cinema.

Scary when you're 14.

The Lighthouse cinema? It's now back and running in Smithfield, and arguably the nicest cinema in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Once I went to the cinema to see Role Models on my own during the afternoon. Not only was I on my own but I was the only person watching it during the screening! It's a pity that it wasn't a saucy film to squirt some discreet knuckle children over, perhaps next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

You could meet somebody who really loves you
    So you go, and you stand on your own,
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home, and you cry
    And you want to die.

So you go, and you stand on your own,
    And you leave on your own
    And you go home, and you cry
    And you want to die.

And you secretly love the drama and the worst case scenarios that you imagined because it's all therapeutic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I dont think so. I will give an example. On my stags the second night in London me and a bunch of my mates were in a Nightclub. One of my mates took a panic attack, two days of copious amounts of alcohol, will do that. Anyway a buddy of mine took him out and put him in a taxi.

Turned around and realised he was lost. He found another nightclub, fell into it after pointing at the symbol on his hand and proceeded to walk around the club pointing at his hand mumbling because of his now drunkness to people "did they know where he should be?" You can imagine the answers he got.

He then bumped into some Albanian bloke and drank vodka with him. The Albanian tried to sell him some whores which my mate didnt like so he got one of the tuc tuc's where the guy runs 8 MILES back to Hotel. We were in stiches when he explained the story. Funny but not wierd!!

I hate nightclubs to be honest, but I don't see why you couldn't go on your own. Let's face it, you're not going for the conversation are ye?
    robinph wrote: »
    It's not like your going to be missing out on any fantasticly stimuating conversation that you'd otherwise be having if your mates were there as well though is it. What would you be doing if there with friends, standing around, drinking, shouting imcomprihesibly to some randomer of the opposite sex next to you. Sounds like things it's perfectly possible to do on your own really.

Just never admit to it.
    Both excellent points.
    The only thing is, nightclubs are crap anyway.
    I'm old.

humbert wrote: »
    Old lighthouse cinema. Arty types, guaranteed buggering if you're not careful.
    Rebelheart wrote: »
    The Lighthouse cinema? It's now back and running in Smithfield, and arguably the nicest cinema in Dublin.
    No. it wasn't the arty one.
    Was it the Carlton? Was that there or on O'Connell street?
    I think they were showing Ghostbusters 2 or something, so it definitely wasn't the arty one.

Edit: Ghostbusters 2 was '89, so that might have been what I went to see.

No. it wasn't the arty one.
    Was it the Carlton? Was that there or on O'Connell street?
    I think they were showing Ghostbusters 2 or something, so it definitely wasn't the arty one.

Edit: Ghostbusters 2 was '89, so that might have been what I went to see.

Yeah that's O'Connell St. Maybe the Lighthouse cinema wasn't arty back when old people were young.

Both excellent points.
    The only thing is, nightclubs are crap anyway.
    I'm old.
    The whole reason for going to a nightclub is probably just for more booze and/or chasing a member of the opposite sex. Its also about having a bit of criac with your friends whilst doing those things.

If you have the confidence to go on your own and try those things, fair enough, but i wouldnt fancy standing in the corner like a pleb with me mouth open.

They are ultimately crap, if you ever go to one sober, all you see are a bunch of fcuking slack jawed apes, dribbling around the place, they are not a nice place to be sober, which is a very sad indictment of the world we live in today. Thats why i only ever go to one when i'm totally gee-eyed.

No. I remember there being three cinemas on that street.
    The one that's still there (North side of the street) and the two on the South side.
    It only had one or two screens, but it definitely wasn't the arty one.

We're talking 20 years ago.
    Or 19. I can't really remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, Ghostbusters II was '89. Oh no actually it might have been '90. One or the other. There was a spate of "IIs" that time. I went to Back to the Future II and Gremlins II - good times.

The whole reason for going to a nightclub is probably just for more booze and/or chasing a member of the opposite sex. Its also about having a bit of criac with your friends whilst doing those things.

If you have the confidence to go on your own and try those things, fair enough, but i wouldnt fancy standing in the corner like a pleb with me mouth open.

They are ultimately crap, if you ever go to one sober, all you see are a bunch of fcuking slack jawed apes, dribbling around the place, they are not a nice place to be sober, which is a very sad indictment of the world we live in today. Thats why i only ever go to one when i'm totally gee-eyed.
    I don't think many people go there sober.

My last three visits ended with me getting a pint, drinking half of it and walking out.

Yeah that's O'Connell St. Maybe the Lighthouse cinema wasn't arty back when old people were young.

I saw Ken Loach's superb Land and Freedom (about the Spanish Civil War) in The Lighthouse on Middle Abbey Street in 1995-96 and that was probably considered arty then. It was called the Curzon Cinema before then.

The Beatles played in the Adelphi Cinema on Middle Abbey Street in, I think, 1963. You're not that old, Terry?

I don't think many people go there sober.

My last three visits ended with me getting a pint, drinking half of it and walking out.

Yep, i know the feeling, that extra pint seems like a good idea when you leave the pub.

However once you get into the nightclub and order your pint, you get the realisation that you're after paying upwards of 15 euro for admission into the nightclub and have to drink a pint that has been sitting in the pipes since last Saturday night.

Add into the equation that you cant hear yourself think, you dont know any of the music and everybody else is fcuking trollied.

Edit: Yes, i think this means i'm getting old!

I find it difficult to believe that anybody with the individuality to go to a night club on their own could actually enjoy a night club and there are better ways to meet girls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

You could meet somebody who really loves you

...or Jeffrey Dahmer!

I saw Ken Loach's superb Land and Freedom (about the Spanish Civil War) in The Lighthouse on Middle Abbey Street in 1995-96 and that was probably considered arty then. It was called the Curzon Cinema before then.

The Beatles played in the Adelphi Cinema on Middle Abbey Street in, I think, 1963. You're not that old, Terry?
    Yeah. That's the one. The Curzon.

I can't believe I couldn't remember the name. It's a Dax one.

I'm only 33. My old man was the one who went to see the Beatles.

I find it difficult to believe that anybody with the individuality to go to a night club on their own could actually enjoy a night club and there are better ways to meet girls.

Very true. I hate nightclubs, and any pub with a TV. I really detest all the noise everywhere. I love a great chat over a quiet pint without any Psychology 101 efforts to get us to drink more by turning up music.
    'Dead pubs' are heaven for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

K4t wrote: »
    There's nothing weird about it, is there?

I'd say yeah if you're going to be on your own all night. If you meet up with people in there (other than your friends) then it's fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i feel odd going in on my own even when i know my friends will meet me inside within the next 10 minutes. there's nothing wrong with going in on your own if you know that on the given night you will run into mates but there is nothing worse than going in with your mates and being latched onto by someone ye know but dont really want around you, those scenarios are similar but hugely different.

Going to the cinema on your own is ok. sometimes there is a film you have to see and that's all that matters

Yeah. That's the one. The Curzon.

I can't believe I couldn't remember the name. It's a Dax one.

I'm only 33. My old man was the one who went to see the Beatles.

Neither could I but a google for "cinema" and "abbey street" led me to this:

http://www.lighthousecinema.ie/about/history.html ;)

Very true. I hate nightclubs, and any pub with a TV. I really detest all the noise everywhere. I love a great chat over a quiet pint without any Psychology 101 efforts to get us to drink more by turning up music.
    'Dead pubs' are heaven for me.

Absolutely true. A quite pub is great and a pub buzzing with the sound of lively conversation is great. I really wonder why people cant do without background noise these days.

People will actually turn the TV on in a room even if they have no intention of watching it, just for the din.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i feel odd going in on my own even when i know my friends will meet me inside within the next 10 minutes. there's nothing wrong with going in on your own if you know that on the given night you will run into mates but there is nothing worse than going in with your mates and being latched onto by someone ye know but dont really want around you, those scenarios are similar but hugely different.

Going to the cinema on your own is ok. sometimes there is a film you have to see and that's all that matters

I went to the cinema once on my own in order to get away from the girl I was living with. It was a very poignant experience watching all the couples and just being on my own. Hard to explain it. I decided to leave her by the time I left the cinema and did so by the end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

People will actually turn the TV on in a room even if they have no intention of watching it, just for the din.
    Oh yeah, I had a flatmate who used to do that in the kitchen when I was studying and she was getting ready to go out. No qualms about doing so even though she wasn't watching a thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dracman

Just a little bit weird...plus why do it?? because your always going to to be the one in the club that everyone is looking at and saying " jaysus, look at the ****ing loner going around perving at all the women" even if your "genuinly"...ahem..'cough'...just there.

Advertisement