Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to a nightclub on your own?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Very true. I hate nightclubs, and any pub with a TV. I really detest all the noise everywhere. I love a great chat over a quiet pint without any Psychology 101 efforts to get us to drink more by turning up music.
    'Dead pubs' are heaven for me.
    None too fond of that myself.
    Even when I was 18 I didn't like the noise.

Going to a pub with friends is a social thing.
    It's supposed to be a step up from sitting on the banks of the Liffey (or your local river) with a ghettoblaster (as they were known in my day).

You go to have a few pints and a laugh with your friends. The last thing you want to hear is repetitive crap blasting through speakers all over the place.

Ok, if your off your tits on whatever the party drug of the moment is, you just do your own thing, but when you're with friends and are jsut out for a few sociables, then you want to be able to hear what your friends are talking aboot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I went to the cinema once on my own in order to get away from the girl I was living with. It was a very poignant experience watching all the couples and just being on my own. Hard to explain it. I decided to leave her by the time I left the cinema and did so by the end of the week.

i wouldnt go to the cinema for the sake of it like that, i'd only feel crap. the few time i go by myself are when something comes out that i'd never be able to gather a gang to see, or if a new film comes out and i want to see it early and in these cases couple being there will be irrelevant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When I misspent my youth it was misspent at a snooker hall. They all saw the uniforms. Nobody asked any questions.
    Back in the day I could muster a 50 break.
    Women weren't as impressed as I'd hoped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

humbert wrote: »
    Absolutely true. A quite pub is great and a pub buzzing with the sound of lively conversation is great. I really wonder why people cant do without background noise these days.

People will actually turn the TV on in a room even if they have no intention of watching it, just for the din.

And then you have the geniuses who turn the tv on in one corner, another tv channel in another corner, all of which are on while music is playing.

And publicans wonder why business is down. It's a quality of life issue, and going to the average Dublin pub definitely lowers my quality of life.

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i wouldnt go to the cinema for the sake of it like that, i'd only feel crap. the few time i go by myself are when something comes out that i'd never be able to gather a gang to see, or if a new film comes out and i want to see it early and in these cases couple being there will be irrelevant.

Ah it's sometimes necessary to get away and because I had never done it before I got immense clarity that would probably otherwise have eluded me, if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

I went to the cinema once on my own in order to get away from the girl I was living with. It was a very poignant experience watching all the couples and just being on my own. Hard to explain it. I decided to leave her by the time I left the cinema and did so by the end of the week.
    A pub buzzing with conversation is great. You know that everyone there is having a good time and everyone is friendly.
    You walk by people you only know to see and they greet you with a smile and you pass a few pleasantries. You can't beat that.

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I had a flatmate who used to do that in the kitchen when I was studying and she was getting ready to go out. No qualms about doing so even though she wasn't watching a thing.
    I used to do that.
    A month ago I moved from my comfort zone in the sitting room up to the back bedroom.
    There is no cable point here, so I have no tv.
    I don't miss it.

I download the odd show that I want to see and that is all the tv I watch.
    It's great.
    Haven't seen Barry Scott or the phone line girls in a month.

When I misspent my youth it was misspent at a snooker hall. They all saw the uniforms. Nobody asked any questions.
    Back in the day I could muster a 50 break.
    Women weren't as impressed as I'd hoped.
    Both snooker halls in my town were shut down because they used to run illegal poker machines. :(
    They never had any left handed cues either, so I sucked at snooker and pool.

Terry wrote: »
    None too fond of that myself.
    Even when I was 18 I didn't like the noise.

Going to a pub with friends is a social thing.
    It's supposed to be a step up from sitting on the banks of the Liffey (or your local river) with a ghettoblaster (as they were known in my day).

You go to have a few pints and a laugh with your friends. The last thing you want to hear is repetitive crap blasting through speakers all over the place.

Ok, if your off your tits on whatever the party drug of the moment is, you just do your own thing, but when you're with friends and are jsut out for a few sociables, then you want to be able to hear what your friends are talking aboot.

Ghettoblasters! It's time for a 1980s thread because Bryan Adams Summer 69, Billy Idol's White Wedding and a load more are coming back to me. Everybody who was anybody had a ghettoblaster in my day! (especially if it had two tape cassettes - cool beyond cool!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

The Vic (Victoria Sporting Centre) on Patrick's Quay, Cork - that was where it was at in the 90s! :)

White Wedding is quality!

Yeah, this thread should be retitled, a la Dr Strangelove style, "Nightclub on your own or how I wasted my youth".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Ah it's sometimes necessary to get away and because I had never done it before I got immense clarity that would probably otherwise have eluded me, if that makes sense.

it makes sense :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Dudess wrote: »
    The Vic (Victoria Sporting Centre) on Patrick's Quay, Cork - that was where it was at in the 90s! :)

You'd be much too exposed in The Viv though. There was a snooker hall close to the tax office sullivan's quay(can't remember the name, gone now), had seperate rooms for each table. God that was the place. What we use to smoke in there. I repeated my leaving cert in South Pres douglas st (girls school, I'm a bloke:)) and spent the 70% of the year in this snooker hall. I'm a country lad. Should have stayed away from the city. Got around 20 extra points in leaving cert that year.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Would never go out on my own. Maybe to a pub where you know that there is going to be someone you know in it. Went to the pub last weekend with a friend, just for a few and we said **** it headed to a night club and it was ****e with just 2 people. Going out on the town lets say you need a good group out. Or at least 3-4 people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

If its just to a standard Saturday night etc nightclub fest, then yes it is a bit weird to go on your own.

If its a special gig thats on and your friends are dicks and wont go, then go on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭HOBO 83

I do sometimes, its fun..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

K4t wrote: »
    There's nothing weird about it, is there?

If we are talking about club mantra then you are better off not going there in the first place. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Pop-quiz.... Whats Barrys real name?
    If we are talking about club mantra then you are better off not going there in the first place. :pac:

Ah Mantra-I have fond memories of the teen discos there, they were always so much better than the TF.

Pop-quiz.... Whats Barrys real name?

Ah Mantra-I have fond memories of the teen discos there, they were always so much better than the TF.
    Pop quiz, hot shot.
    You're on an internet forum and you ask a question that I don't care about.
    What do you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Pop quiz, hot shot.
    You're on an internet forum and you ask a question that I don't care about.
    What do you do?

Curl up in a ball and cry :(

By the way his name is Neil Burgess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    Going to the cinema on your own is ok. sometimes there is a film you have to see and that's all that matters

True, I've done it and will do it again.

I apply the same principle to clubbing alone. I've done it 4 or 5 times in the past, and wouldn't have any qualms doing it again if there's a DJ playing that I really want to see. I'd never go to a commercial/chart club on my own though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I've gone to gigs on my own, if there's a dj on or a band that none of my friends have the slightest interest in, then i'd totally go on my own. If I fancy a Guinness and I have to have it NOW I'd go to a pub on my own with a book or a paper and have a pint. I've never gone to a night club on my own, I think I'd feel a bit self conscious, but in theory it's the same thing. If you're not bothered by it then go for it!

Advertisement