Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So if God...........

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Malty_T wrote: »
    Put in words better than I could anyway, now let's try layman terms ;).

hmmm, see your point... problem is, this is a total mindf*ck whatever terms or language we use. God, being infinite, reduced to something within the capacity of language to describe, ceases to be God...

Ok, put it this way:

Something infinite, that never ends, by definition never begins to end. It is, always.

Therefore, before there was God, there was God.

I love life too. ;)

Right, time for a pint...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭sells

Martin johnson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

nice thread but if god created himself would he not already be created in order to create himself ?

or

what if god was one of us ?

thanks Hal1... it was only a matter of time !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

robbie_998 wrote: »
    nice thread but if god created himself would he not already be created in order to create himself ?

or

what if god was one of us ?

Just a slob like one of us.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

tech77 wrote: »
    Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    Let's do this thing one step at a time:

So anyone got an answer to the OP yet.
    Anyone??

Then we'll do yours.
    OK?

Hmmmm, I thought I did, so did a number of others... just cos you may not like/accept/understand the answer doesnt make it untrue:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

This idea about 'emergence' seems to have possibilities.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Perhaps the positive and negative forces (that constitute nature) have a sum total that is zero and emerge from the abyss of nothingness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭minusorange

Joycey wrote: »
    I did

But who created you :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭IrelandSpirit

Joe1919 wrote: »
    This idea about 'emergence' seems to have possibilities.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergence

Perhaps the positive and negative forces (that constitute nature) have a sum total that is zero and emerge from the abyss of nothingness.

"We come from nothing, and we go to nothing - so what 'ave we got to worry about? Nothing! Al-ways look on the bri-ight side of life! da-doo da-doo da-doo-di-doo di-doo..."

hehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 RCorrigan

God is a wonderful mystic topic, always brings great debate, which seems to come from moviesrme mostly. Energy is god in my opinion, always existed, will never end. When you look in the mirror you will see god, if you want that is or you will see the devil is this so pleases you. Death is nonexistent and life is one big journey. Evolution is a natural process, that some. have oppressed and reserved for only a few.

Love is where your god is and always will be........

It always amazes me how people get so upbeat about the death of a loved one and go to mass on a regular basis. If they truly understand when they pray and preach, they would know life is one big adventure.

We are the teachers of our own fate......
    Energy is all around us.......
    Food has the power to heal.........
    Unfortunate we don’t nourish the soul with natural products mother earth gives us.

Have a rich day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

But who created you :cool:

My mammy and daddy.

I like your name BTW, did you get that from the Hawtin tune?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

RCorrigan wrote: »
    God is a wonderful mystic topic, always brings great debate, which seems to come from moviesrme mostly. Energy is god in my opinion, always existed, will never end. When you look in the mirror you will see god, if you want that is or you will see the devil is this so pleases you. Death is nonexistent and life is one big journey. Evolution is a natural process, that some. have oppressed and reserved for only a few.

Love is where your god is and always will be........

It always amazes me how people get so upbeat about the death of a loved one and go to mass on a regular basis. If they truly understand when they pray and preach, they would know life is one big adventure.

We are the teachers of our own fate......
    Energy is all around us.......
    Food has the power to heal.........
    Unfortunate we don’t nourish the soul with natural products mother earth gives us.

Have a rich day!

The thing about energy is that it dissipates overtime, via entropy. So if god is energy, he may eventually go as flat as a bottle of soda with a loose cap. Still, I get the gist of what your saying, just couldn't resist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭sKepTics_George

If "something" created God, Is there anything else created by that "thing".
    Or was it a once of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

If God is the collective consciousness of the world, is it possible that there wasn't always a God, but that God, too, has evolved slowly as the consiousness and intelligence of mankind evolves?

In that way, God did not create the world, pure science gives us that. Yet there is a huge leap between the rest of creation and the rise of self awareness in mankind. That self awareness is our collective consciousness, something we barely understand or use 5% of. But that is where God is, and God may be evolving too.

As a slightly humourous aside, God too may be asking the same questions as us, and cannot know the answers until human intelligence is sufficiently advanced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

HydeRoad wrote: »
    If God is the collective consciousness of the world, is it possible that there wasn't always a God, but that God, too, has evolved slowly as the consiousness and intelligence of mankind evolves?

In that way, God did not create the world, pure science gives us that. Yet there is a huge leap between the rest of creation and the rise of self awareness in mankind. That self awareness is our collective consciousness, something we barely understand or use 5% of. But that is where God is, and God may be evolving too.

As a slightly humourous aside, God too may be asking the same questions as us, and cannot know the answers until human intelligence is sufficiently advanced.

That’s a very Hegelian idea. The dialectic or life spirit essentially reflects how the individual, in reality, plays an insignificant role in the development of human consciousness and human history. God, can be seen to be a combination of all that exists, and evolves as such. As both history and consciousness develop, contradictions are overcome through conflict, until, ultimately, the conflicting movements/ideas are combined, or the weaker of the divisions is overcome. It has had a huge impact on how we understand the present, past and future today. The ancients would have understood history to be circular, but Hegel convinced everybody in a progressive line. It has inspired everybody from Darwin to Marx, and much more beside. Postmodern theory, and existentialism, can be seen as an antagonistic reaction to such an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭GenghisCon

marabhfuil wrote: »
    Man... God is there alright. He's just getting too much diversion out of us to interviene. In fact we are teaching him. We explain to him what things are.
    extrinzic wrote: »
    That’s a very Hegelian idea. The dialectic or life spirit essentially reflects how the individual, in reality, plays an insignificant role in the development of human consciousness and human history. God, can be seen to be a combination of all that exists, and evolves as such. As both history and consciousness develop, contradictions are overcome through conflict, until, ultimately, the conflicting movements/ideas are combined, or the weaker of the divisions is overcome.

+1 or + ∞, which ever comes first. My understanding of topic is that the universe or rather, a universe that allows for consciouness is an attempt to allow "GOD" (be that what s/he/it may) to experience reality objectively. If we examine an absolute entity that ecompasses the totality of reality, it can only experience subjectively because nothing is outside its own field of existence. Rather it is both the subject, and the object. The division between subjective and objective reasoning is meaningless, because there is nothing except for it, it cannot develop a frame of reference.

Now if reality is structured to allow the totality of consciousness to have an aggregate sutructure whereby it can subdivided into individual components with an objective perceiption of reality then "GOD" can avail of an objective frame of reference. Therefore the rise of consciousness allows GOD/the universe/everything/douglas adams copyright infringement to have objectively knowledge and awareness. This becomes interesting when, if we think that consciousness has a directional element then what is end point or ultimate goal? Is an all knowing objective GOD the ultimate aim?

Of course this brings an interesting slant on to the question of good/evil and the existence interventionalist god.

btw long time reader first time. Greetings and saltutations to all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement